Why become a member? ×

All valve head suggestions

fluffo

Matamp is my personal first choice. UK based, hand built and customisable.

Hiwatt are also still in production I believe on the higher cost end of things. I think bugera still offer an SVT equivalent? (I might be off the pace on that though).

In addition to the above, Traynor are a Canadian brand that pop up from time to time. Not sure if you can buy new still and Verellen (US based) I think have just made the decision to stop production. Marshall vba400 is a Goliath but only a few about second hand. Aguilar have some second hand market valve offerings, as does sadowsky (sa200 - pretty rare). There's some amazing trace Elliot heads in the used section still I think as well, and I think Peavy did a valve amp run a few years back.

Vintage heads are still worth a look with big iron, depending on how loud you need them...soundcity, selmer, burman, sunn, etc.

What features, sound and volume are you after?

Edited by Salt on your Bass?
Couldn't spell SVT
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

Now I want a Stoneham... or a Matamp GT200 😆😭

Well if you want a Matamp get your order in quick, they recently announced a significant price rise, due to everything they use rising in cost, that will be coming soon.

Edited by doomed
  • Like 1

On 30/07/2021 at 14:22, fluffo said:

Doesn’t seem to be much out there for true all valve heads other than the svt or markbass.

fire away with suggestions 

What Markbass head is all valve? They only ever made the Classic 300 and thats been out of production for donkeys years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2021 at 10:09, Salt on your Bass? said:

Matamp is my personal first choice. UK based, hand built and customisable.

Hiwatt are also still in production I believe on the higher cost end of things. I think bugera still offer an SVT equivalent? (I might be off the pace on that though).

In addition to the above, Traynor are a Canadian brand that pop up from time to time. Not sure if you can buy new still and Verellen (US based) I think have just made the decision to stop production. Marshall vba400 is a Goliath but only a few about second hand. Aguilar have some second hand market valve offerings, as does sadowsky (sa200 - pretty rare). There's some amazing trace Elliot heads in the used section still I think as well, and I think Peavy did a valve amp run a few years back.

Vintage heads are still worth a look with big iron, depending on how loud you need them...soundcity, selmer, burman, sunn, etc.

What features, sound and volume are you after?

+1 for Traynor. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve the 100w Ashdown ctm100 head and their 30w “little bastard” , both pure valve and both cracking amps. Don’t let the low wattage fool you , the 100w amp can get seriously loud and even the 30w head can comfortably handle small gigs . The LB -30 appears regularly on this site and reverb for sale around the £300 mark. Well worth it 

• Like 1

On 21/08/2021 at 00:34, Bagman said:

Ashdown CTM-300

Not sure they are still in production however. 

They're still for sale on their site, so I presume they're still making them. I have the CTM100  and I love it but they seem to be kind of rare these days. You tend to see a lot more CTM-300s and CTM-30s / Little bastards around. CTM-200s are as rare a hens teeth. 

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1