Why become a member? ×

Opinions on this fingerboard...

Sibob

12 minutes ago, Machines said:

What bass is it on ? Laurel hasn't been used much AFAIK until CITES came in. If it's a few years old, could very well be rosewood.

EDIT: I'm guessing this Lakland 55-01 , the Lakland website states they are Indian Laurel

Indeed, however they were Rosewood before the change over. So it's conceivable it could be either.

Si

2 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Indeed, however they were Rosewood before the change over. So it's conceivable it could be either.

Si

True, but this is a brand new instrument, so I can see CITES applying to it as it has passed through the USA.

1 minute ago, Machines said:

True, but this is a brand new instrument, so I can see CITES applying to it as it has passed through the USA.

I think I am leaning now to this being Laurel, however it's possible they've had this for a while and it arrived before Rosewood was such an issue.

Si

1 minute ago, Sibob said:

I think I am leaning now to this being Laurel, however it's possible they've had this for a while and it arrived before Rosewood was such an issue.

Si

Law came in Jan 2017, no way is this 4 year old stock. I keep a regular eye on GG website, this isn't that old.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sibob said:

Thoughts? Is it Indian Rosewood or Indian Laurel?

Shop says it's Rosewood......but thought I'd get some other thoughts.

fingerboard.thumb.jpg.8a761a972dc5a37cad37b32c94403491.jpg

Cheers all :)

Si

When I bought my Reverend Thundergun, one of the sales clerks swore the fretboard was rosewood.

I said "I thought Reverend switched to Blackwood Tek for the Thundergun" but he insisted it was rosewood.

I didn't want to show him the information on the Reverend site, but I had to wonder why he didn't see the proof right under his nose...or at least feel the proof, because though it might resemble rosewood, it feels like maple.

The simple truth is, some salespeople simply aren't experts.

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Thanks 1

On 30/07/2021 at 13:49, Sibob said:

Thoughts? Is it Indian Rosewood or Indian Laurel?

Shop says it's Rosewood......but thought I'd get some other thoughts.

fingerboard.thumb.jpg.8a761a972dc5a37cad37b32c94403491.jpg

Cheers all :)

Si

FYI The CITES rules on Rosewood no longer apply to musical instruments. The rules changed about a year ago. So if it's a newish bass, there's a good chance it could be rosewood.

13 hours ago, gjones said:

FYI The CITES rules on Rosewood no longer apply to musical instruments. The rules changed about a year ago. So if it's a newish bass, there's a good chance it could be rosewood.

That’s exactly what Lakland have said, if it’s a 20 or 21 serial number, it’s Rosewood!

Si