Why become a member? ×

Upcoming birthday...NS WAV or NXT?

NancyJohnson

It's a weird thing.  I've played an upright twice before today; this is like going from a tricycle to a bicycle.

It's kind of like familiar, but different.  Despite how well I play regular basses (*subjective), I was quite shocked how bad I was on this when I first started playing it earlier.

If the bass itself, can't fault it.  Charging the power cell takes 60 seconds for 16 hours active (why aren't all active circuits like this?).  In active mode it sounds gorgeous, thundersome.  Right now I'm just sticking it through the Ged/Darkglass set up I use generally, there's no dirt.

More later!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two days in, I have a blister.  Lots of fun.

Only downside so far is the bass could really use some side dots on the neck; the markers on the board aren't particularly visible as you're standing slightly behind the instrument and they pretty much disappear in low light.

I'm thinking about putting a call into Simms LED to see whether they could install something.

On 02/12/2021 at 16:44, NancyJohnson said:

Two days in, I have a blister.  Lots of fun.

Only downside so far is the bass could really use some side dots on the neck; the markers on the board aren't particularly visible as you're standing slightly behind the instrument and they pretty much disappear in low light.

I'm thinking about putting a call into Simms LED to see whether they could install something.

Try twisting it slightly sideways so you are not so square on. I found that works well and you can pick up the dots easily. However I guess the purists on here will tell us to use our ears ‘cos there ain’t no dots on a real DB! 

On 03/12/2021 at 23:14, Grahambythesea said:

Try twisting it slightly sideways so you are not so square on. I found that works well and you can pick up the dots easily. However I guess the purists on here will tell us to use our ears ‘cos there ain’t no dots on a real DB! 

That’s the truth! The reason is when you arch your neck to look at the dots you change your hand position. 

Much better to play with a drone or along with simple bass book recording to find yourself. To be honest, the pay is an in the first few positions anyway, so it shouldn’t take long…

I’m not trying to encourage you to spend more cash, but WAZA air headphones work well for that purpose. A little too we’ll if I’m honest as it shows how useless I am!

Well, a few days in, big blister but grinding through the pain.  Bought a sheet of adhesive luminous stars and have stuck these on, which has helped immensely.  Much as I detest playing along with stuff, oddly I've found Paloma Faith to be quite satisfying.

Got a reply from Sims LED; £300 for taking the job, £15 a dot, so we're looking at £600-ish.  God knows how they'd do it to be honest.  Maybe.  Considering what I've haemorrhaged on gear this year, £600 is well within budget for 2022.

Edited by NancyJohnson
Spelling mistakes. In my defence, I've been awake since 4.00am.

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Well, a few days in, big blister but grinding through the pain.  Bought a sheet of adhesive luminous stars and have stuck these on, which has helped immensely.  Much as I detest playing along with stuff, oddly I've found Paloma Faith to be quite satisfying.

Got a reply from Sims LED; £300 for taking the job, £15 a dot, so we're looking at £600-ish.  God knows how they'd do it to be honest.  Maybe.  Considering what I've haemorrhaged on gear this year, £600 is well within budget for 2022.

Unless you want the christmas lights on your bass, I'd save myself £600 and just have a discrete bit of electrical tape on the third and fifth 'fret' position, a bit like what you have but fewer. Your fingers will work out the in-between positions. I have these two markers on my double bass.

2 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Sims would take the fingerboard off, drill it for LED dots, rout the board or neck for the wiring- using the truss rod channel isn't a great idea,  and then look at the existing power or adding another battery somewhere in the body to run it all..

They take the board off?  I understood the process was supposed to be non-invasive (god knows how).

I just stuck with (sorry) the adhesive dots in the right places. 

They're great if you come unmoored but as mentioned above you start to develop a muscle memory and your ear to tell if you're in the right place or not fairly quickly. I'm absolutely no great shakes but it's worked for me. 

11 hours ago, Jakester said:

I just stuck with (sorry) the adhesive dots in the right places. 

They're great if you come unmoored but as mentioned above you start to develop a muscle memory and your ear to tell if you're in the right place or not fairly quickly. I'm absolutely no great shakes but it's worked for me. 

Yup, dots. You can use White Out or some other correction fluid and you can make them any size you want, that's what I use on my EUB. On my DB I use the stick on dots and lines from Gollihur, easy to remove and available in two colours. When the dots on my EUB start to come off I will use the Gollihur ones on it too.

I don't want to be a "fingerboard marker" fundamentalist, but in general the quicker you can wean yourself off them the better you'll play so I definitely wouldn't do anything permanent to the bass. This isn't for weird purist reasons - it's just that learning to shift and finger properly on upright is much more important than on BG and relying on dots too heavily will set you back and stop you using your ears properly.

I still use a pencil marker on 5th and 12th "frets" on gigs just as a sanity check on a loud stage (and I'm not that good anyway...) so like I said, I'm not a purist on this.