Why become a member? ×

Upcoming birthday...NS WAV or NXT?

NancyJohnson

My wife is asking what I want for my birthday and I'm again looking at dipping my toe into the EUB field.

I'll profess that while I've been playing regular basses for 30+ years, I've only played double basses/EUBs maybe twice in that period(!), but like to think I made a decent fist of it (I got a small round of applause in a bar in Budapest).  Whether they're decent or not, I do like the design of the NS WAV and NXT basses, and of course, why would I bother with a four string when budget either way allows for a five? 

So, the WAV5 or the NXT5a.  Looking at the product descriptions, they look very similar although the NXT has a dual truss rod, an active electronics circuit but weighs 800g more.  I assume the WAV is made in the far east and the CR is from the Czech Republic (similar to the Legend and CR Spector basses).  I'm fortunate enough to be in the position where I could go for either, but I do like to have nice stuff and I know if I got the WAV I'd be questioning why I didn't go the extra ££ and get the NXT.

I'm just trying to justify to myself that the extra ££ is worth it, or whether (for instance) it would be better to get the WAV and maybe use the difference (c.£600) on buying a second Darkglass 1x12.  Oh the dilemma.

Anyone got experience of both?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

If everything pans out, I'm thinking it might be fun to record a video diary if sorts to cover how I get on.

That sounds like a good idea and I will be watching for it to see how you get on with the NXT.

(My bass history is like yours, 30 years EB then a Stagg about six years ago, then a Yamaha SLB200 and finally DB and I'm loving it.)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little tip from me - if it comes in the same design of soft case as my NXT-5 did, don't use the long strap as an over-the-shoulder thing to have it upright on your back.

I used to carry mine in and out of London on the train like that until the night the strap broke and it fell backwards and hit the edge of the pavement, chipping the headstock.   I was heartbroken.

I still love it with all its war wounds though!

• 2 weeks later...