Why become a member? ×

NAD: TE 122H GP12

uk_lefty

I've picked up an immaculate condition, hardly used Trace hybrid combo. And I couldn't be happier. 

I've been after a Trace, I've been thinking about hybrid valve amps.. I somehow got all in one glowing green package. 

I've wanted a single amp to do my covers band with traditional rock, so a bit of valve drive would be nice for that, but also my 80s covers band where a super clean amp sound or better still a Trace amp sound would suit. I've got it all in this. I don't think I've ever seen one before. The front panel has... 

Harmonic emphasis in/ out and level

Pre shape in/ out

Graphic EQ 12 band sliders and in/ out button

Valve stage in/ out and drive level

Low and high band compression on separate rotary dials with a balance control in the middle

Noise reduction in/ out

Effects loop in/ out

Mute switch

I've never seen all these bells and whistles at once in a Trace. I'm bowled over. 

I've tinkered for about an hour using a Washburn Status headless for super clean sounds and a passive PJ DiMarzio loaded bitsa for valve drive. The valve drive is warm and fuzzy but not harsh like emulated drives can be. It's not going to satisfy people who want really hairy drive but it's enough for me looking for some grit and deep underlying fuzziness to the sound without it overpowering, works especially well with the mids ramped up a bit. What's interesting is dialling back the valve drive but keeping the valve section on and playing clean, it gives a bit more punch. 

Can't wait to investigate more of what this amp can do on Monday night with the band! 

16276409997025549934477709221653.jpg

• Like 5

Someone monkeyed with the SMX preamp!

Mind that 30hz slider. In the approximate words of my SMX manual, ''it's there for cutting not boosting''. The cab doesn't make 30hz. You can prove that by playing a 30hz sine and then a 60hz sine. They will sound suspiciously the same but the 60 will come out very much louder. Turning up the 30hz will get you a mess of 60hz distortion.

• Like 2

I picked up the 300 watt head version of this combo recently. It's a bit unwell with broken valve and compressor sections, but it was bought as a project. Looking forward to getting it up and running! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bigwan said:

I picked up the 300 watt head version of this combo recently. It's a bit unwell with broken valve and compressor sections, but it was bought as a project. Looking forward to getting it up and running! 

Yep, I'm chuffed all those bits work. Mine was owned by a club as part of a house backline but no bands ever played there and it only ever did a few open mic nights, the rest of the time it was under a cover in a cupboard. I might take the head unit out of mine and get a lightweight 4x10 to pair it with. I'm chuffed how it can cover everything I need it to... I think. Proof will be in the next few band rehearsals but early signs are good.