Why become a member? ×

New lefty custom bass by Overwater

kevham

Because it is so hard to find decent lefties in anything other than bog standard colours or pay mahoosive amounts for a relic'd Fender custom shop, I decided to go for a UK crafted custom P-Bass a while back to get my dream bass and support British craftsmanship.

Pics of progress so far.

It's going to have a black scratch plate and black hardware. Neck will have a vintage tinted satin finish.

Can't wait to get it and it will fill the p bass gap in my collection nicely.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

1625829317294_image0.jpeg

Edited by kevham
Typo and title
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, kevham said:

Yes I went for PJ configuration for a bit more flexibility.

It's an Overwater.

Oh fancy!!! Bet it will be amazing. 

I made a PJ Bitsa earlier this year, it sounds great. Its not Overwater quality though! 

53 minutes ago, Green Monster said:

Cool cool. Have to continue posting pics as the progress is made. 👍

Don't think you mentioned what is the body/neck/fingerboard woods you're going with?

Cheers. Neck is a flamed maple.

Board is the darkest Laurel they had in the store. I decided to go for simple dot inlays.

1625829320214_image1.jpeg

• Like 1

• kevham changed the title to New lefty custom bass by Overwater

More details:

Body is swamp ash with a transparent red burst high gloss finish. I decided just to let the grain of the ash show rather than go solid. I'm glad I did because I think it looks great in the photos.

Pickups will be PJ Overwater with volume, blend and tone. I toyed with the idea of getting an MM pickup in the bridge position but settled on a more 'classic' PJ layout.

Hardware will be all black and I've specced a Hipshot extender (all my 4 strings have a Hipshot).

The hardest choice was the pickguard. I still swing between black and red tort. I've settled on black but I could see me getting another one made up!

• Like 2

That's cool and def agree about showing off the woodgrain. 👍 

There have been more than a few times would've liked the convenience of a hipshot to do that quick downtune, but as both of my basses are Warwick, they've the angled tuners so there really isn't enough room (or at least for the extenders i've come across and measured etc).

Lovely! Why the battery rout though, when it's going to have passive controls? Are the Overwater pickups active? 

On 31/07/2021 at 10:49, kevham said:

Pickups will be PJ Overwater with volume, blend and tone.

• Like 1

The pickups aren't active but there is an active 'buffer' circuit which reduces signal loss and interaction between the pickups. The eq is a simple passive treble cut. 

I had the option of a John East active EQ circuit but I rarely use the active EQ on my other basses so chose not to.

The neck is looking great. I'm having doubts about the black scratchplate and hardware now though! I reckon  a white pearl and chrome hardware would look great.

The many, many decisions of a custom bass build.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kevham said:

The neck is looking great. I'm having doubts about the black scratchplate and hardware now though! I reckon  a white pearl and chrome hardware would look great.

The many, many decisions of a custom bass build.

Sometimes too much choice is bad for you! Personally I love black hardware and I think it will help the nicer parts of the bass stand out. A white pearl plate would be lovely. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First rehearsal last weekend and this bass is a killer. Definitely my new number 1. Didn't even take the Spector out the bag and the Status is going to be up for sale now. It is that good.

Plays beautifully, sounds great with my rig, and looks absolutely fantastic (to my eyes).

It was a long wait, it was not cheap but it was absolutely worth it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...