Why become a member? ×

Why do Front Ported Cabs sound better?

acidbass

20 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Once the port starts vibrating it pushes back at the air inside and if you get it right the cone of the speaker stops moving and all the sound output is coming from the port

Meh. If the speaker isn't moving there won't be any sound at all! I think it comes from the rice test. The rice sits on the cone at resonance because it gets a nice smooth ride, not because the cone magically stops moving.

The cone doesn't stop moving, but it moves a lot less at the tuning frequency. This excursion chart shows a fifteen in a ported cab with 45 Hz tuning at 200 watts input. At 1 watt input excursion at 45 Hz is a mere 0.07mm, so while not immobile it can appear that way compared to above and below that.

Excursion.jpg

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 07/08/2021 at 19:00, BassmanPaul said:

My Acme cabinets are rear ported. As long as there is a reasonable distance away from a wall they are unaffected.

For most of the gigs I do, this is just not practical, hence why front porting (in my opinion) sounds a lot better in most rooms.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2021 at 13:51, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Quite right. The better method is to take the eyes out of the equation via double blind testing. I can't recall any such testing ever being posted on a bass forum. If it was undertaken the results would likely be quite interesting, as in this case:

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/04/dishonesty-of-sighted-audio-product.html

Beautiful. 

I’d love to see this replicated with bass cabs.