Why become a member? ×

Errrrr Tim Commerford Stingray Short Scale ??!!

Adee

The natural full-scale passive model has sold out now!

15 of the full-scale active model are still available.

There are still plenty (32 for each active and passive) of the short-scale models left. Looks like people don't really link TC with a short-scale bass.

I am pretty sure that if EBMM decides to have a regular TC sig model (like they did for Joe Dart, first limited edition, then regular model), then it will be the natural full-scale model with black hardware, maybe as an active (H or HH) model. 

I think you’re correct on that - just by way of an update I received from UPS global, my bass is now due to be delivered Monday morning (rather than Friday)!! Really looking forward to receiving this and having watched the Vulfpeck MSG performance I’m feeling very inclined to look at compressors again (so good is the sound Joe Dart gets - although part of that is his brilliance, of course 😏😬). I used to use an Aphex Punch Factory (when I used my Ashdown ABM) - I’ve never used one since using Mark Bass. 

I also keep looking at that Bongo Crescendo - looks fabulous hmmm 🤔

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

On 03/08/2021 at 18:47, Eldon Tyrell said:

Ok, got my shipping notification. Should be here on Monday. 

Checked the UPS tracking website and it still stays "Delivery: Monday, Aug 9th".

My TC is now in Tamworth, which is just 40min from me. C'mon, UPS, do me a favour and quickly hop over 😉 

17 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Checked the UPS tracking website and it still stays "Delivery: Monday, Aug 9th".

My TC is now in Tamworth, which is just 40min from me. C'mon, UPS, do me a favour and quickly hop over 😉 

Monday will be here soon enough!! I’m sure you’ll love the bass when it arrives 👍😊 - as you may know, those of us buying new, limited or unusual Musicman models have been used to waiting 6 months plus to take delivery (certainly was with my 5HH Special!!) so just over a week is unheard of unless buying from dealer stock!! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

Monday will be here soon enough!! I’m sure you’ll love the bass when it arrives 👍😊 - as you may know, those of us buying new, limited or unusual Musicman models have been used to waiting 6 months plus to take delivery (certainly was with my 5HH Special!!) so just over a week is unheard of unless buying from dealer stock!! 

Agree, but still want it NOW 😉 

I have to admit that I didn’t get a kick out of this, it is probably due to a Stingray sounding like a Stingray due to the pickup position, not the preamp (well, preamp has significantly less impact) and there are already shorty Rays around. The type of thing that marketing departments come up with. The main thing clearly is that the bass will sound great, so congrats if you bought one, and I do think TC needs to be recognized for being awesome so a signature bass is certainly appropriate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was pleasantly surprised how good the passive electronics sound - I think I’ve said elsewhere, I really like the series pick up setting with the tone set around the centre of its travel. Just a really nice bass all round, and (the version I have) mixes the classic Stingray natural body/large bridge with black hardware and the Stingray Special neck and neck/body joint. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

On 07/08/2021 at 11:20, Eldon Tyrell said:

You got yours yet Eldon? I got my passive shorty on Friday 😁 (even though it was supposedly delayed until Monday!)

IMG_6851.JPEG

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, andyep said:

You got yours yet Eldon? I got my passive shorty on Friday 😁 (even though it was supposedly delayed until Monday!)

Looks fab ... how does it feel and sound so far? .... and doesn't the roasted maple smell amazing !!??

12 minutes ago, Adee said:

Looks fab ... how does it feel and sound so far? .... and doesn't the roasted maple smell amazing !!??

Haha it does!!

It feels and plays amazing, I'm absolutely in love with it. Sounds beautiful too, got that classic stingray sound. It's got a little less "growl" than an active stingray but obviously I was expecting that. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, andyep said:

IMG_6851.JPEG

Yep, arrived safely today. Here are some photos:

TC1.thumb.jpg.1bf754e585ac04b0d8d3f1f2bf0a0cf6.jpgTC2.thumb.jpg.645ff04c52a29818a67c10ed061a9797.jpgTC3.thumb.jpg.772b860662a4551aa370b5d331a7174c.jpg

Well, what can I say. Great bass. Very light and the neck is, as always for EBMM, super smooth and a dream to play.

As expected, the TC sounds different from my other two SRs (2014 Stingray 4H and 2018 Stingray Special 4H). I especially like the series mode. Reminds me a bit of the OMG mode on my G&L L1k.

It came even more to life when I engaged my trusted Sansamp and used it as a preamp. Man, the bass suddenly started shaking my living room's walls and windows. Killer. Maybe it is just me, but I really needed that oomph, that going to 11 😉  

Speaking of 11, I am also glad that I got no 11 out of 50 as 11 is my lucky number (birthday). However, I do have to say that I like the wood grain on @drTStingray bass more. Well, you cannot have it all 😉 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, andyep said:

IMG_6851.JPEG

16 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

TC1.thumb.jpg.1bf754e585ac04b0d8d3f1f2bf0a0cf6.jpgTC2.thumb.jpg.645ff04c52a29818a67c10ed061a9797.jpgTC3.thumb.jpg.772b860662a4551aa370b5d331a7174c.jpg

Well, what can I say. Great bass. Very light and the neck is, as always for EBMM, super smooth and a dream to play.

As expected, the TC sounds different from my other two SRs (2014 Stingray 4H and 2018 Stingray Special 4H). I especially like the series mode. Reminds me a bit of the OMG mode on my G&L L1k.

It came even more to life when I engaged my trusted Sansamp and used it as a preamp. Man, the bass suddenly started shaking my living room's walls and windows. Killer. Maybe it is just me, but I really needed that oomph, that going to 11 😉  

Speaking of 11, I am also glad that I got no 11 out of 50 as 11 is my lucky number (birthday). However, I do have to say that I like the wood grain on @drTStingray bass more. Well, you cannot have it all 😉 

Congratulations guys - both basses look great - @Eldon Tyrell yours looks a very light colour like mine. These are excellent basses in my view and very rare in the U.K. I’m thinking 😊

• Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 19:19, Eldon Tyrell said:

Looks like EBMM either made one more available (maybe one originally sent to a social media influencer) or someone returned his/her TC long-scale & passive bass as one is back in stock! 

Untitled2.thumb.png.68965446098c5e0d237028ff6d86d62f.png

Still available earlier today!!

How are you guys getting on with the passive electronics? I really like the way the bass is voiced - pure Stingray sound!!

@Eldon Tyrell I guess the figuring on the natural bodies is somewhat luck as to what you get - I would have preferred more figuring on the front on mine but hey ho!! The back on mine is quite nice but there again only I’ll know that unless someone sees a photo!! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Still available earlier today!!

How are you guys getting on with the passive electronics? I really like the way the bass is voiced - pure Stingray sound!!

@Eldon Tyrell I guess the figuring on the natural bodies is somewhat luck as to what you get - I would have preferred more figuring on the front on mine but hey ho!! The back on mine is quite nice but there again only I’ll know that unless someone sees a photo!! 

TBH, I was a bit sceptical about a passive Stingray. However, with my home setup (GK MB-112-II and Sansamp BDDI), it just sounds awesome and I do not miss the onboard preamp at all. I think EBMM have done a fantastic job here.

I know that with natural, and to some degree burst finishes, it is always a bit of a lottery. I would have liked some more grain on the back but that's ok. With the current Ash crisis, we should be happy that we got a natural finish at all. EBMM is currently not offering a Stingray Special in natural and for all their finishes they list as body wood: select hardwoods.

More importantly, EBMM is really good at book matching. I am really picky about this and glad they did a great job. Not like some other companies. I would have returned a bass with a finish like this:

BM_1.thumb.png.37633e7ad271507124d6a6c3ff38b58f.pngBM_2.thumb.png.936cdf323e292398b15fb54f00ad88f2.png

5 minutes ago, Kev said:

Have to admit, the passive natural full scale with black hardware is a classy looking bass.

Yes, I always wanted a natural finish and black hardware finish combo. Glad that EBMM listed to me 😉

They still have one in stock in their online web shop. It is no longer listed on Sweetwater's website, so I guess that one available really is the final one. Go for it 🙂 

There are still plenty of short-scale models available in the EBMM web shop (56 in total) and Sweetwater also still has the short-scale and passive model (the sunburst one) listed but it will take months before they get them in-store ("We expect these to arrive in a few months"). 

On 09/08/2021 at 18:18, Eldon Tyrell said:

Looks amazing mate! Glad you're loving it. I ran mine through the Sansamp at practice the other day and it sounds so meaty. 

Breaking it in with a gig on Saturday, can't wait! 😀

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, andyep said:

Looks amazing mate! Glad you're loving it. I ran mine through the Sansamp at practice the other day and it sounds so meaty. 

Breaking it in with a gig on Saturday, can't wait! 😀

Yes, the passive TC and the sansamp are a killer combo!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...