Why become a member? ×

Errrrr Tim Commerford Stingray Short Scale ??!!

Adee

23 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I ordered the passive long scale for several reasons, one being I really wanted a natural Ray with black hardware - but the other thing is the sound from 5:30 in the video in the OP - passive tones with mutes engaged - sounds fabulous!! 

Yep, and if they did it with an SLO neck I'd be several thousand poorer by now as well. The natural shorty looks a bit Joe Dart and I don't like the burst. The black is OK, but again, not with a 43mm nut, so that's me out 😬.

1 hour ago, andyep said:

I've ordered the passive short scale, sunburst. Been trying to get hold of a "proper" short scale stingray for ages but they're like gold dust.

So excited!!

Should arrive within 4 months...

Jealous! Sadly cannot afford one right now…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andyep said:

I've ordered the passive short scale, sunburst. Been trying to get hold of a "proper" short scale stingray for ages but they're like gold dust.

So excited!!

Should arrive within 4 months...

I was told by one of EBMM's sales managers that they have " a handful ready to ship right away". This was referring to the long-scale, natural finish one. However, I am sure that also applies to the other three models. So, you may get yours much earlier. Fingers crossed!  

44 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I was told by one of EBMM's sales managers that they have " a handful ready to ship right away". This was referring to the long-scale, natural finish one. However, I am sure that also applies to the other three models. So, you may get yours much earlier. Fingers crossed!  

Yeh I went to the checkout with the active version and it said "2 ready to ship", but the passive version said "ships in 4 months", so I think I missed out on the first handful of passive short scales!

1 hour ago, Merton said:

Jealous! Sadly cannot afford one right now…

Yeh they're very expensive, I'll be selling my 5 string stingray to ease the dent in my bank balance. I've only recently discovered short scale basses tbh, and being a short-derrière I have decided they are perfect for me. So I've swapped my Warwich thumb for a Fender Mustang and now my Stingray 5 for a Stingray short scale

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andyep said:

Yeh I went to the checkout with the active version and it said "2 ready to ship", but the passive version said "ships in 4 months", so I think I missed out on the first handful of passive short scales!

When I ordered mine, I also said "ships in 4 months", but I sent an email to EBMM about my online payment issues and I was then told about the "handful ready to ship". So, let's see. Expect to get it in 4 months and be delighted if it already arrives in a week or so 🙂  

Just now, Eldon Tyrell said:

When I ordered mine, I also said "ships in 4 months", but I sent an email to EBMM about my online payment issues and I was then told about the "handful ready to ship". So, let's see. Expect to get it in 4 months and be delighted if it already arrives in a week or so 🙂  

Now you've got my hopes up for early delivery! Let's see who's gets here first 😆

2 minutes ago, andyep said:

Now you've got my hopes up for early delivery! Let's see who's gets here first 😆

Oh no, I wanted to achieve the opposite: Expect NOT to get it anytime soon, so that if you get it in 1-2 weeks, it will be unexpected, a nice surprise and you will be delighted 🙂 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

So basically the $ price plus charges equals the delivered £ price. Not bad!

Yes, ordering directly from EBMM is a great option. Cuts out the middle men and their markup. Ok, £2.9k is still a lot of money but it is a unique model with some cool features and a "normal" Stingray Special nowadays costs pretty much the same, at least here in the UK (depending on the finish of course. For example, the smoked chrome costs £2.9k at Andertons, the Amethyst Sparkle costs £3k at BD but the Speed Blue and Burnt Ends "only" cost £2.75k at Andertons.)

Jeez these look so nice, Timmy C is a bit of a tone hero for me but due to already owning a Stingray that I’ll never sell (sentimental reasons) and the price being north of £2k I’ll have to let this one go. If I was buying one I think I’d get a passive natural, looks badass. Would love to hear how anyone gets on with theirs when it arrives though! 

5 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Yes, ordering directly from EBMM is a great option. Cuts out the middle men and their markup. Ok, £2.9k is still a lot of money but it is a unique model with some cool features and a "normal" Stingray Special nowadays costs pretty much the same, at least here in the UK (depending on the finish of course. For example, the smoked chrome costs £2.9k at Andertons, the Amethyst Sparkle costs £3k at BD but the Speed Blue and Burnt Ends "only" cost £2.75k at Andertons.)

Those prices contribute to why I just withdrew my Special from the market place today - it’s a great bass that I bought new in ‘18 so I might as well keep hold now for a rainy day, as for me a new one has got well out of reach.  

Good score on the TC, love that it’s passive and hope you do a NBD 👍

• Thanks 1

Really love these. Can't quite figure out why the short scale is in the "TC" signature range though? 

The sunburst looks more like a new incarnation (rosewood board) of the maple-necked sunburst passive stingray - although with mutes. WHICH I AM DESPERATE TO PURCHASE! Did TC play short scales?

28 minutes ago, RaNoFuNkY said:

Really love these. Can't quite figure out why the short scale is in the "TC" signature range though? 

The sunburst looks more like a new incarnation (rosewood board) of the maple-necked sunburst passive stingray - although with mutes. WHICH I AM DESPERATE TO PURCHASE! Did TC play short scales?

Yeah, I also did not get the short-scale and TC connection. However, yesterday over at TB, alexclaber, Director-Barefaced LTD, posted (and I hope it is ok to post that here): "He loves the shortscales, he's been raving about them at me for the last 18 months [...]. He's been playing the shortscale with Wakrat (and now in the new group), and he was debating taking some shortscales on the now postponed RATM tour. 

I think that "and now in the new group" must be 7D7D, as mentioned on EBMM's website: "Tim Commerford, the legendary bassist of Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, and his newest project, 7D7D."

I checked youtube but could not find any 7D7D video.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Yeah, I also did not get the short-scale and TC connection. However, yesterday over at TB, alexclaber, Director-Barefaced LTD, posted (and I hope it is ok to post that here): "He loves the shortscales, he's been raving about them at me for the last 18 months [...]. He's been playing the shortscale with Wakrat (and now in the new group), and he was debating taking some shortscales on the now postponed RATM tour. 

I think that "and now in the new group" must be 7D7D, as mentioned on EBMM's website: "Tim Commerford, the legendary bassist of Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, and his newest project, 7D7D."

I checked youtube but could not find any 7D7D video.

Ah! thanks man. I really love their shortscales too. I'm torn between the sunburst with rosewood board, or waiting and seeing the new colour + neck combinations with the next batch. I really want an ebony board. No idea when the "new colours coming soon" materialises though

13 hours ago, Kev said:

Another new Ray!  So what’s sets this apart from the Stingray classic?  Passive pre and ramp?

There are four models in total: Long-scale & active, long-scale & passive, short-scale & active and short-scale & passive.

For me these four models are Timmy C's "Best of" Stingray basses as he combines features from the recent Stingray Special (neodymium pickup, the newly sculptured neck point, the roasted maple neck, the lightweight tuners and the newly voiced 18v preamp (for the active models)) with features from the Stingray Classic (the old string-through bridge, the mute pads and the old MM logo on the headstock). To that he then adds his choice of finishes (e.g. natural and black hardware, not been available before) and his finger ramp. Pretty cool combination of features. 

Check out this video where he explains it all:

So far, three Youtubers were given TC's basses to review. 

1) Amos Heller 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV_G5j9VhWk

short scale & passive

2) Patrick Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_Ys2xMYlQ

long-scale & active

3) The Bass Channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lY8445YfDg

long-scale & passive

So, we still need one video for the short-scale and active model.

Interestingly, all of them were given "nr 12 of 50" to review:

105337916_shortscalepassive.thumb.png.49f7da6a60966bc0a351d1e16c7c4dc5.png1854690398_longscaleactive.thumb.png.5a8c04216a340bab513a2a911b2e37f9.png 793283878_longscalepassive.thumb.png.bdb97ab8b7eb48e285585b113a471891.png

The short-scale & active really needs a promo video as it is selling rather poorly at the moment:

From EBMM's website:

Tim Commerford | Basses | Ernie Ball Music Man (music-man.com)

1) long-scale & active: 25 (out of 50) remaining

2) long-scale & passive: 10 (out of 50) remaining

3) short-scale & active: 36 (out of 50) remaining

4) short-scale & passive: 33 (out of 50) remaining

Looks like the long-scale & active model (natural finish and black hardware) is by far the most popular choice.

When I first checked EBMM's website for the TC models On Thursday morning, I saw that for all four models it said: 

"39 Instruments Remaining

Limited to 50 Worldwide"

I guess that EBMM put 11 instruments aside, maybe for YTubers, magazine reviews etc. So, assuming that only 39 instruments were available for purchase from the beginning (the current numbers above show that the four models are selling very unequally, so it is unlikely that they all sold 11 each and then demand suddenly changed significantly), the actual sales numbers are currently as follows:

1) long-scale & active: 14 sold

2) long-scale & passive: 29 sold

3) short-scale & active: 3 sold

4) short-scale & passive: 6 sold

Total sales: 52

Looks like the short-scale & active model really needs a promo video 😉 

It seems @Eldon Tyrell we have both chosen the most popular of the TC basses (natural; black hardware; passive; long scale). Last time I looked there were 9 left. However there were plenty of short scales (around 30 of each) - the active short scale is unique to these artist basses.  

Have you heard anything re delivery yet? I haven’t. 

Edited by drTStingray

10 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

It seems @Eldon Tyrell we have both chosen the most popular of the TC basses (natural; black hardware; passive; long scale). Last time I looked there were 9 left. However there were plenty of short scales (around 30 of each) - the active short scale is unique to these artist basses.  

Have you heard anything re delivery yet? I haven’t. 

Nope, nothing yet. Checked status in my MM account and it still says : "Status: OP Processing". 

Early morning in SoCal, they are 8 hrs behind us, so hope they'll ship it later today 🙂