Why become a member? ×

Preamp for Ibanez Prestige

Silky999

So I’m thinking about an upgrade preamp for my SR1000 EFM Prestige. The Bartolini pickups are custom and not a standard size so changing the preamp is the easier option. Do I go Bartolini to match the pickups or East Unipre? I have had both before in different basses but never with Bartolini pickups. Does anyone have experience with the Ibanez Prestige range with the custom pickups and pairing it with either preamp. I play in a rock/pop covers band so need something that covers a multitude of tones from smooth to aggressive. Overall I prefer a more modern sound than an old school thump. At the moment, I would describe the bottom end as sounding a little mushy and too prominent. I’ve tried dialling the bass back both on the bass and my Streamliner 900 but then the tone just gets top heavy. I’ve also tried adjusting the pickup height to see if that calms things down but also to little effect. I’m using EB cobalt flats as I like the slighltly worn in roundwound sound, feel, longevity and reduced string noise.

I’m edging towards the Unipre due to its sheer versatility but wonder whether a full Bartolini setup would sound better?

Let me know your collective thoughts and any opinions/advice appreciated…….

5456673C-D154-4776-B2F6-991902B478D1.thumb.jpeg.c748586f6f276e1fa52b58c3b4bb942e.jpeg

Edited by Silky999

If you can't get a sound you like by adjusting EQ via the pre-amp and your amp, you're unlikely to get what you want from a third EQ, which is all a different pre-amp will be. I had a similar dilemma with my old SR3006 which had custom Barts in it too. I had a set of pickups custom made for it which got me the sound I was after. I think this is what you need to consider. I had Christoph at Bassculture make mine but there are so many custom pickup makers out there now, you are spoiled for choice. A set of flamed maple shells with the pickup of your choice inside would look just fine in that bass 🙂

Serious question - have you tried a different amp? I borrowed a Streamliner not long after they were released. I couldn't get the bottom end of the Streamliner to work for me at all, but when I switched back to my Orange Terror it worked perfectly. I think you may be fighting a battle you can't win there.

Also, you say you like a modern sound... but you're playing flats?

Edited by Bigwan

Thanks for the advice folks. I like the EB cobalt flats and I know they’re a trade off between the feel of a flat but with the bit of an extra zing. I did try the bass with some rounds but it sounded too much the other way but that might just be the difference from flat to round.
The amp point is well made as the Streamliner does have a tendency to be bass centred. I used a Ashdown RM at the practice room this week which was better but not massively. 
The bass is relatively new to me so perhaps I need to do some more experimenting. Thank you for the points to mull over.

You can pair nearly any preamp with your pickups. With East you can not go wrong. I would still fiddle with the original preamp. Be adventurous.

As others have already told this, bright comes from a set of SS RW. Nickel gives more middle and flats, well, they sound dead.

• Like 1