Why become a member? ×

THIS HAS GONE. A Serious Entry Level Tanglewood Baron Custom 6 String, NT
£615
Leicester

Oldman

Reduced to £500.00, shipping extra, hard case extra, collection the cheapest option.

Bought this bass earlier this year prior to my long stay in Hospital. My intention was to use it as the fretted bass complimenting my Fretless and my change to 34” scale basses. Things being what they are, I find I’ve got a redundant sixth string. I’ve no interest in Chordal playing or even the odd chord so after a short ownership I’d like move it to someone who will benefit from a starter 6ixer that punches well above its weight in value alone.

My description is cobbled up from the original txt when I bought this Bass. The Tanglewood Baron is a one off beast and is exceptionally well made, quality is akin to any number of custom basses that run into the thousands, but this is here for a paltry £615.00: including Hard Case and courier UK mainland only at your risk. 

A trial and more snaps, just ask.

The pups and preamp are EMG designed for Tanglewood, though according the person I bought it from they never went past  the prototype stage for these 6 string Barons. Tuners are Gotoh according to Tanglewood. Neck is Wenge and Maple, body wings are lightly figured solid maple. Bridge is gold plated brass. Standard 34" scale with 16mm spacing at the bridge and 8mm spacing at the nut. The volume knob has a bit of a crackle it could simply be a bit of dust on the graphite pad of the pot. Other than that mint, condition is easily 9.5/10 plus, no marks whatsoever.

The bridge placement and slightly shorter upper horn make it balance very well, typically with Warwicks (especially thumbs!) At 34" feels more like a 36" scale as the body sits quite far to the left of the body.  Neck through at this price!

DCF7D025-4CD8-4AC4-A83F-AA059048A7D6.thumb.jpeg.018bc31d21b304a722cb754f5bc0cb8b.jpeg

As you can see it’s a handsome Bass.

E076AFE4-8099-40D8-BDE0-0014C434760D.thumb.jpeg.05f2bf25f8354d5aab146671104530be.jpeg

Edited by Oldman
  • Like 6

This used to be mine and it is a seriously good bass for the price point. Having owned many (MANY!) 6 string basses, some by what are considered the finest luthiers out there, this bass stands its ground very well against them. Tanglewood made around 20 of these (I have an email from them to state as much) and stopped making them because the brand just wasn't synonymous with this level of quality and the couldn't sell them at a profit. Wenge/Maple through neck with solid brass bridge and Gotoh tuners - stick a different name on the headstock, charge twice as much, and you wouldn't question it. 

• Like 2

I would do a trade with this bass for an Ibanez 5 string SR. TBH it looks so good in the snaps I feel like putting the price up 🤔

if your hankering after trialling a 6ixer this is the one, top quality at a price that’s nearly a giveaway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have re strung this with a set of Thomastic Flats, a vast improvement in both sound and playability. I could bring this to the 4th September Bass Bash if your interested in purchasing a top quality NT 6ixer at a Bolt on price!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Oldman changed the title to A Serious Entry Level Tanglewood Baron Custom 6 String, NT
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Oldman changed the title to THIS HAS GONE. A Serious Entry Level Tanglewood Baron Custom 6 String, NT
  • Rich locked this topic