Why become a member? ×

R.I.P. Dusty Hill

On 30/07/2021 at 09:34, Barking Spiders said:

while driving yesterday I was listening to the PM show at 5pm  on R4 and the last article was about the death of Dusty Hill.  Yet, they got in Peter Hook and it ended up being more a discussion about bass players being the modest unsung heroes of bands. I think Jack Bruce and Paul McCartney had more said about them than Dusty Hill. Evan Davies clearly knows very little about bassists!

Peter Hook is one of those people Radio 4 picks up for a programme, keeps their number and rolls out at irregular intervals for half a dozen years. Regardless of their actual relevance or public profile.

A good example was the fairly obscure musician 'Scanner' who they rolled out every time there was something to do with electronic music; even though he's at the 'experimental/arts' end of the spectrum he would be interviewed about dance music etc.

It's men like Dusty Hill who make me proud to play bass. His band made me happy. His music made me dance. His style made me envious. Although now gone, he will live in my mind forever as one of the good guys. Bye, bye sharp-dressed man. Thoughts are with his family, Billy and Frank. Thank you for everything.

0C5FE64A-8519-4F3B-99FC-D065BB90084B.jpeg

Edited by snorkie635
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Indeed not and I speak as a big fan of Joy Division. I've got lots of time for Hooky but he seemed an odd choice.

Indeed. No problem with Hooky’s style…. Just it’s the opposite of Dusty’s.

I guess it’s just the way it goes making a news show, and good to get the subject covered at all.

41 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Indeed. No problem with Hooky’s style…. Just it’s the opposite of Dusty’s.

I guess it’s just the way it goes making a news show, and good to get the subject covered at all.

I think it might even be a first for R4, certainly whenever I've been listening from time to time over the last 20 odd years.

I've just watched the ZZ Top documentary on Netflix, it's a great watch. Just 3 humble guys who wanted to play their stuff. The sad part being now that Dusty Hill, who like the others comes across as a really lovely person, isn't with us anymore

He leaves a fantastic legacy

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

I've just watched the ZZ Top documentary on Netflix, it's a great watch. Just 3 humble guys who wanted to play their stuff. The sad part being now that Dusty Hill, who like the others comes across as a really lovely person, isn't with us anymore

He leaves a fantastic legacy

Watching now 😢

• Like 1

My view of Zed Zed Top was tainted by discovering them in their 'pop' phase. A guitarist I was in a jam band with prior to lockdown introduced me to their early stuff. The film on Netflix further informed me as to their credentials.

Great band, very sad news.

I was 10 when Gimme All Your Lovin' was released. I probably saw the video on Top Of The Pops...and being young thought it was a great song. I subsequently got my Dad to order me a ZZ Top album from his latest Britannia Music catalogue. The cassette that arrived was The Best Of ZZ Top, which to a 10 year olds ears was a 1000 miles from what I'd heard on TOTP. However, that's what I got into. I really loved early ZZ Top. I ended up getting Rio Grande Mud a few months later. So while my peers were listening to mid 80s British pop, I was listening to early 70s Texas Blues/Boogie.

Several years later I bought the CD version of Rio Grande Mud. Unfortunately I got the remastered one, that was made to sound like Eliminator, so loads of reverb. 

Gimme All Your Lovin' is a very ZZ Top song, it's just got a ton of reverb on it and synths

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

Gimme All Your Lovin' is a very ZZ Top song, it's just got a ton of reverb on it and synths

Covering Gimme All Your Lovin' was one of the songs that made us a fortune in the pubs around here in the 90's. Thanks Dusty Billy and Frank.

• Like 1