Why become a member? ×

R.I.P. Dusty Hill

My cousin was born and raised in Houston, Texas. In '83 Eliminator came out and it was also her first trip over to see the UK family. As a 10yr old boy she introduced me to a couple of bands, one of whom was ZZ Top. Eliminator had just come out and they were yet to break in the UK - certainly my family hadn't heard of them, not that we were any sort of barometer of cool. I played that album to death and bought the earlier records and some of the later ones subsequently. When we took her to get her returning flight, we bumped into one of the band at the airport (I couldn't tell you if it was Billy or Dusty - I was 10 and it was the first celebrity I'd seen in person). My cousin shared the flight with the band and met them for photos / autographs afterwards. Being a three piece I was fascinated that one was credited with bass guitar and one was credited with lead guitar. It was probably through them that I learnt the difference. Years later Dusty sent himself up beautifully in King of the Hill. I always thought they were classy guys. Maybe not a band that stayed at the forefront of my tastes but certainly one who helped steer and shape things for me. RIP Dusty.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NAS Bass said:

I saw them perform many times. He had a style all of his own and we a good singer too. He described his own bass tone as sounding "like a fart in a trash can!"

Always loved that quote. R.I.P. Dusty. 

I was lucky enough to see them at the height of their "British fame" at Donnington when Eliminator had not long been released. They were just a cut above your average band. 72 is not old these days and it makes you wonder about your own mortality. Too many legends have been taken lately.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord Sausage said:

This may be in bad taste but the opening post reads

Killed by Death

Then shows the picture of a man who has died.

If you know your Motörhead lyrics and Lemmy’s play on words it’s not in bad taste imho. 😊👍

• Like 4

13 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Rock solid bass player with a simplistic style that was always there building the foundation of the band. RIP Dusty.

This puts into words exactly what I was thinking, Nothin' fancy, just a solid foundation for Billy Gibbons to work over. However that in  itself is a gift, I know how hard it is to keep it simple, even when a song is just root and fifth, I struggle not to put a fill in. RIP Dusty.

13 hours ago, Lord Sausage said:

This may be in bad taste but the opening post reads

Killed by Death

Then shows the picture of a man who has died.

Killed by Death is his username as he is clearly a Motorhead fan

Yeah, another one gone sadly. Not a huge fan of the band but there's no hiding in a trio and he tied the bottom end down year on year. The trio I play with do 3 ZZ Top numbers at present and I enjoy playing them all, there's usually some dynamics in there to focus on and keep it rock solid. RIP Dustbunny.

Edited by KevB

while driving yesterday I was listening to the PM show at 5pm  on R4 and the last article was about the death of Dusty Hill.  Yet, they got in Peter Hook and it ended up being more a discussion about bass players being the modest unsung heroes of bands. I think Jack Bruce and Paul McCartney had more said about them than Dusty Hill. Evan Davies clearly knows very little about bassists!

Very sad news. I saw that little ol’ band from Texas back in ‘85 on their Afterburner tour, and it was an excellent show. 

My girlfriend bought me tickets to see them two years ago, but unfortunately the pandemic put that on hold. I guess I won’t be seeing them again. 

Well Dusty, happy trails hombre. You’ll be missed. 93570CB8-0FD0-42EF-BDF2-F47CCFC2A0C3.thumb.webp.1a15b5f3c8af5c08b57c75aa02f02193.webp

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Evan Davies clearly knows very little about bassists!

He mentioned that the production team had given him a list of bassists to talk about, so I guessed he was winging it.

I didn't think Peter Hook was the best representative for the bass playing world either. His knowledge seemed pretty thin as well. Never mind at least bassists got 5 mins of prime time radio, even if it was only R4!!

Edited by chris_b

On 30/07/2021 at 14:06, chris_b said:

He mentioned that the production team had given him a list of bassists to talk about, so I guessed he was winging it.

I didn't think Peter Hook was the best representative for the bass playing world either. His knowledge seemed pretty thin as well. Never mind at least bassists got 5 mins of prime time radio, even if it was only R4!!

Indeed not and I speak as a big fan of Joy Division. I've got lots of time for Hooky but he seemed an odd choice.