Why become a member? ×

When do you know its time to change your strings

Petey

In my last band I needed that fresh new steel rounds twang, Warwick Red Labels lasted pretty well so that was every 2 months or so. Now I use Elixirs and can get between 8 months to a year before the clarity on the E goes.

• 2 months later...

The GHS Boomers on my BB are 4 months old and the Fenders on my Squier P are 3 months old. Both are nickel-plated steel hexcores.

With both sets, the richness has dropped out of the sound, and the brilliance has turned into a kind of perfunctory jangle. A usable noise I'm sure, but I miss the intensity and vibrancy.

On 23/10/2021 at 18:21, Ricky Rioli said:

The GHS Boomers on my BB are 4 months old and the Fenders on my Squier P are 3 months old. Both are nickel-plated steel hexcores.

With both sets, the richness has dropped out of the sound, and the brilliance has turned into a kind of perfunctory jangle. A usable noise I'm sure, but I miss the intensity and vibrancy.

Writing that prompted me to get around to changing the strings on both basses the next morning. Ahhhh, yessss, lovely 🥰  I hadn't really realised how much crispness of attack had been lost.