Why become a member? ×

The Beatles music WILL be heard in 1,000 years!

SteveK

12 hours ago, Nicko said:

All the mlllions going into space travel appear to be to allow the uber rich to claim they'v been somewhere that the rest of us cannot afford to go.  There's almost no money spent on space colonisation.

Space travel is in it's infancy at the moment. We are still at the stage of sending probes and manned flights have only managed to get as far as the moon. All these private ventures by billionaires is for their own profit. It's governments that have to pave the way for eventual colonisation.

21 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Seriously !!?..

I absolutely decline to get into a heated debate, but I think you'll find that's always occurred on this planet.

The key word is RAPID. In the past changes took '000s of years not merely decades. I'm not looking to get into a debate. I've attended conferences on how CC will impact on the built environment and the evidence for man-made CC is irrefutable. I'll leave it there.

• Like 2

I fail to see why we should bother with space travel when the Yellow Submarine solution is so much more appealing. I also find that my troubles seemed distant yesterday, so agonising over what the descendents of our species might do millions of years from now is probably beyond my remit.

I am fairly confident that Beatles recordings will be played for as long as twentieth-century music is being played.

On 29/07/2021 at 09:35, SteveXFR said:

With digital recordings being saved of millions of digital devices there's no reason why any artists music shouldn't still be around in a thousand years.

Except Nickleback and Coldplay. Their music must be destroyed for the sake of humanity. 

You should give Nickelback another chance. According to the NME, they are taking their time working on a new album "because they don't want to make "a shitty record" 🙂 

Nickelback reveal that they're working on a new album (nme.com)

10 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

You should give Nickelback another chance. According to the NME, they are taking their time working on a new album "because they don't want to make "a shitty record" 🙂 

It seems cool to dislike Nickelback but I like them. We went to see them a few years back and I thoroughly enjoyed the show

4 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Mrs T met nickleback. Sat and had lunch with them.

I can’t remember how or why this happened, but it’s while she was at Edge Hill university.

She just randomly came out with this story one night when we were talking about bands we automatically skipped (hers was the Smiths…) 

she said they were really nice blokes.

one of the Rare occasions when you have no response.

- just checked this with her now to check it wasn’t a brain fart.

”there was a Canadian guy on our teacher training course called Dave who was a bit older than us, a bit of a loner. We were talking about poetry and I said I’d written some pieces. He said he was going to meet some friends who were over from Canada. So as I wanted breakfast, we drove to Ormskirk and had a full English breakfast with his friends - are there 2 brothers in Nickleback? It was them… we had a full English and spoke about poetry…”

• Like 3

I don’t understand the Nickleback hate, they make a decent noise and can sing in tune. It does seem ‘rock trendy’ to not like them, but they still fill (or at least filled) stadia. Coldplay on the other hand 🤮 😆.

42 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Yes they can, but the tunes are dreadful. No more or less to it than that.

S'art innit. I don't rate Modigliani*, but I understand he's a bit good and others think he's wonderful. I don't mind Nickleback, some of it's fine, some I find a bit trite. For my tastes, I've heard worse, much worse.

*Ransom abstract artist chosen for effect, other artists are available.

As an experiment, (as I've not consciously listened to a Nickleback track for a very long time) i watched a random one of thei vids on utube.. Feed the Machine it was...

Tbh I thought it was quite good for that kind of stuff, in fact the video was very well done, ( indeed, kind of looks like where we're heading right now) but i digress...

On that single random taster I'd certainly not slag 'em off as a band, even tho it's not exactly my kind of thing :)

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

On that single random taster I'd certainly not slag 'em off as a band, even tho it's not exactly my kind of thing

it's weird how some bands seem to attract such a lot of hate.  there's plenty of bands i don't like, but i don't waste time hating them - i just don't listen to them.  maybe people are angry that some famous band is famous and their personal favourite band isn't as famous? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Witch Hazel said:

it's weird how some bands seem to attract such a lot of hate.  there's plenty of bands i don't like, but i don't waste time hating them - i just don't listen to them.  maybe people are angry that some famous band is famous and their personal favourite band isn't as famous? 

Hate is a strong word, but I really really don't like them*

* stolen from the Plain White T's who aren't everyones cup of Earl Grey.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Hate is a strong word, but I really really don't like them

i didn't mean to have a go at you!  nothing wrong with not liking them, but some people seem to go out of their way to hate them - they always crop up on those "top 10 most hated bands" lists.

9 hours ago, ezbass said:

I don’t understand the Nickleback hate, they make a decent noise and can sing in tune. It does seem ‘rock trendy’ to not like them, but they still fill (or at least filled) stadia .

I've always assumed it was an all around bad reaction to the song that takes the pish out of aspiring to be a rock star when they were already rock stars. 

11 hours ago, Nicko said:

Hate is a strong word, but I really really don't like them*

* stolen from the Plain White T's who aren't everyones cup of Earl Grey.

Yeah, hate is the wrong word. I don't hate any band. They're just not my cup of (Earl Grey) tea 😉 

There are several Canadian rock bands I like much more: Tea Party, Our Lady Peace, I Mother Earth, Matthew Good Band, Moist etc. etc.

19 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I reckon much of the "hating" Nickleback is really just tongue in cheek, a bit like the Adam Clayton thing. 

The singer's a funny looking rather ugly bloke too, so it's an easy target to take the p!ss !

Agree, a lot is really just tongue in cheek, party due to Chad's uncanny resemblance to dogs 😉

chad.jpg.4aa2d7a88dc72c1078d4badb2b588d7b.jpg chad2.jpg.708f834e05ac8f0128e2e2b0580d997b.jpg chad3.jpg.2724bb3493d5dec4b0d8f00807611e88.jpg

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

If I'm not careful I'll watch a few more Nickleback videos and start liking them !!! 😱

My best mate went to see them with a girlfriend, he said it was a great gig - even though he absolutely detested them.

we still rib him for it occasionally - I don’t really know why, they were at their peak (so it was ages ago) the girl dumped him soon after and he married a lovely girl a few years later…

he’s one of those “life’s sorted” kind of guys, so it’s the only thing we’ve got on him…😂

• Haha 1

All this talk about Nickelback made think I've never heard them so didn't really know what you were talking about so I watched a few videos on the tube and they're not bad, some good tunes there.  I'm going to listen to a few more.

As far as listening to the Beatles in 1000 years time, why shouldn't they.  A good song is a good song when ever it was written.  During my lifetime we've had vinyl, cassettes, CDs and now digital downloads and I'm sure that whatever technology is developed next all the good songs will be available on it.  Just think of the profits to be made selling yet more versions of the same songs.