Why become a member? ×

The Beatles music WILL be heard in 1,000 years!

SteveK

Just now, Waddo Soqable said:

Humans are survivors if nothing else, doom has been prophesied from time immemorial, and usually doesn't come to pass!

I'm sure there will be people around in 100 and 1000 years time, what their civilization / society will be like is however anyone's guess !

If they are listening to the Beatles I would suggest that it would demonstrate a distinct lack of progress.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

And some my most favourite songs that I've written were in my twenties too. But by then I'd had six or seven years of writing stuff that wasn't as memorable.

But if by doing more you get better, then by your 40s, 50s, 60s then you would expect to be far better still. And the majority - though certainly not all - really aren’t. 

Although I started playing at 17 I’d probably only written a dozen songs by my early twenties, which is when I started taking writing more seriously. I wrote songs at that time that are likely as good as anything I’ve written in the 30-odd years since, certainly from a musical perspective.

And the two examples I gave still stand. Not everyone is the same. In any field, some people have to work far harder than others to get to the same point, which is not of course to say that putting in the work isn’t still valid or helpful.

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

But if by doing more you get better, then by your 40s, 50s, 60s then you would expect to be far better still. And the majority - though certainly not all - really aren’t. 

Although I started playing at 17 I’d probably only written a dozen songs by my early twenties, which is when I started taking writing more seriously. I wrote songs at that time that are likely as good as anything I’ve written in the 30-odd years since, certainly from a musical perspective.

And the two examples I gave still stand. Not everyone is the same. In any field, some people have to work far harder than others to get to the same point, which is not of course to say that putting in the work isn’t still valid or helpful.

I started playing when I was around 12 or 13 but didn't start writing and recording anything until a couple of years ago.  I've been listening to some of my old tracks and I'm currently re-recording vocals and remastering the first track I ever recorded which in my view is the best song I've written so far.  Maybe it's like novels - everyone has one good one in them, some people have several.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Humans are survivors if nothing else, doom has been prophesied from time immemorial, and usually doesn't come to pass!

I'm sure there will be people around in 100 and 1000 years time, what their civilization / society will be like is however anyone's guess !

But they didn't have to deal with  rapid climate change. In the past, prophecies weren't based on science but on religion and superstition. In my line of work (civil engineering) we have to factor in the impact of climate change and keep up to date with the latest scientific findings and it's not looking good. 

8 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I started playing when I was around 12 or 13 but didn't start writing and recording anything until a couple of years ago.  I've been listening to some of my old tracks and I'm currently re-recording vocals and remastering the first track I ever recorded which in my view is the best song I've written so far.  Maybe it's like novels - everyone has one good one in them, some people have several.

I do wonder too if it depends how you write. 90% of the songs I’ve written have appeared in my head pretty much fully formed in terms of melody & chords, the only real work required being to translate that onto instruments, tweak the odd part and then formalise the lyrics. It’s not often I sit down with instruments and try to write something, and when I do, it’s seldom as successful. 

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

But at the same time with every decent song you write, you sent the bar just that little bit higher. Or at least that is certainly the way that I work. Therefore something that might have been perfectly acceptable 5 years ago won't make it past the initial ideas stage because I simply don't think it's good enough in the context of the other songs I have written. Therefore writing a good song as you get older simultaneously becomes easier (because of experience and practice) and harder (because it has to match up to the other songs that you think are good).

46 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

But at the same time with every decent song you write, you sent the bar just that little bit higher. Or at least that is certainly the way that I work. Therefore something that might have been perfectly acceptable 5 years ago won't make it past the initial ideas stage because I simply don't think it's good enough in the context of the other songs I have written. Therefore writing a good song as you get older simultaneously becomes easier (because of experience and practice) and harder (because it has to match up to the other songs that you think are good).

I think that’s kind of my point, that that isn’t really how I write. Because I don’t really try to write songs. For the most part, they simply come into my head at some point and I try to get them out. 😉 Obviously there is then some work to be done, but I’m never really trying to consciously set the bar higher; that would be difficult with what is an essentially unconscious phenomenon. It’s either an acceptable level or it isn’t and that’s how it’s always been for me. Then or now, crap is crap. 😂 I suspect different people write/create differently though. 

55 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Seriously !!?...

Define 'rapid'. Previous 'wipe-out' catastrophes came rather suddenly, such as asteroid strikes, but other than that, climate change has always been a slow (define 'slow'...) progression. Here's some gen on the subject of historic and pre-historic climate change; note the timescale...

How is Today’s Warming Different from the Past? ...

... and here's a graph of Ice Ages over the previous half-a-million years ...

Ro9HalO.png

The current rise is unprecedented.

• Like 2

On 29/07/2021 at 09:35, SteveXFR said:

Except Nickleback and Coldplay. Their music must be destroyed for the sake of humanity. 

On 29/07/2021 at 10:56, Eldon Tyrell said:

Man, you must really hate Nickelback, you even spelt their name wrongly 😉 

It's a small fish that keeps stealing things.

56 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Since this is a Beatles thread I will debunk your argument by referring you to the output of a certain Paul McCartney. 

3 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

In 1000 years time, I fully expect this planet to be pretty much uninhabitable due to our own actions.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

In 1000 years time, I fully expect this planet to be pretty much uninhabitable due to our own actions.

...and that's why we should not put the Beatles in the vault but Scooter. Because if people listen to their "music" and especially read their lyrics (see below for some examples), they will at least understand why everything went downhill 😉

- The Question Is What Is the Question?

"Start the danger
Rearranger
Not so cool
Mercy
I'm the vapour
On the radar
Get up on the mic and shout it
Yeah, move it
I spit bricks got the kicks in the mix
My pricks long out the rigs
Party of bricks like Jackie X
No diggedy diggedy HP
I'm the bad boy, roll MC, so sexy"

- How much is the fish?

"Sunshine in the air
We're breaking the rules
Ignore the machine
You won't ever stop this
The chase is better than the catch

Hold your back for the rhythym attack
Coming down on the floor like a maniac"

-FCK2020

"A nightmare came true
The worst year ever
Like everyone's insane
Insane in the membrane"

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Therefore writing a good song as you get older simultaneously becomes easier (because of experience and practice) and harder (because it has to match up to the other songs that you think are good).

It’s also fairly hard to be creative when you’re middle aged, comfortable and tied to a routine. The world shrinks a bit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Rich said:

Humans have an arrogant way of assuming they are the most important significant thing to have existed, ever! ( even made in the image of 'gods' etc ) Some "notable person" in the late Victorian era declared that, everything of significance has now been invented !  ..any era probably believes it's the pinnacle of development.

sure we could press a few buttons and destroy much of life on earth this afternoon if desired, but I guarantee within that 1000 years or however many thousands of years it takes, the planet would be going " yeah whatever" so to speak, and growing new stuff, with new life evolving from whatever remained.. it's a circle that's way bigger than we are. 

ps. I don't reckon anyone / anything will be listening to the Beatles in 1000 yrs time ;)

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

sure we could press a few buttons and destroy much of life on earth this afternoon if desired, but I guarantee within that 1000 years or however many thousands of years it takes, the planet would be going " yeah whatever" so to speak, and growing new stuff, with new life evolving from whatever remained.. it's a circle that's way bigger than we are. 

I watched a Brian Cox documentary a while back and he was deriding the fact that people always go on about saving the planet. He added that we could completely poison the planet. Kill most living things, atmosphere completely deadly and in a couple of million years Earth would recover. A new atmosphere would be formed, new life would start to break out of the seas. Basically the planet has nothing to worry about. When we say save the planet, what we should be saying is save us and the animals that live with us. The dinosaurs ruled for millions and millions of years longer than we have been here. We are just a speck in the timeline of life on this planet.

All the people that moan about the millions being spent on space travel should realise that we have to start getting into space travel because in a few million years this planet will start to heat up as the sun expands as it enters its death throes. We are going to have to look elsewhere for a home if we want humans to carry on existing. I very much doubt the music of the Beatles will be foremost in the future humans minds!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubit said:

I watched a Brian Cox documentary a while back and he was deriding the fact that people always go on about saving the planet. He added that we could completely poison the planet. Kill most living things, atmosphere completely deadly and in a couple of million years Earth would recover. A new atmosphere would be formed, new life would start to break out of the seas. Basically the planet has nothing to worry about. When we say save the planet, what we should be saying is save us and the animals that live with us. The dinosaurs ruled for millions and millions of years longer than we have been here. We are just a speck in the timeline of life on this planet.

All the people that moan about the millions being spent on space travel should realise that we have to start getting into space travel because in a few million years this planet will start to heat up as the sun expands as it enters its death throes. We are going to have to look elsewhere for a home if we want humans to carry on existing. I very much doubt the music of the Beatles will be foremost in the future humans minds!

This is why, ever since I was a child, I’ve fallen apart at the last verse of After the Goldrush. 

4 hours ago, ubit said:

I would put learning to get along with one another ahead of space travel for the meantime, but you're dead right.

5 hours ago, ubit said:

All the people that moan about the millions being spent on space travel should realise that we have to start getting into space travel because in a few million years this planet will start to heat up as the sun expands as it enters its death throes.

All the mlllions going into space travel appear to be to allow the uber rich to claim they'v been somewhere that the rest of us cannot afford to go.  There's almost no money spent on space colonisation.

13 minutes ago, Nicko said:

All the mlllions going into space travel appear to be to allow the uber rich to claim they'v been somewhere that the rest of us cannot afford to go.  There's almost no money spent on space colonisation.

YES, space travel would be great. As our earth is not going to last forever (as we discussed before), we need to find another planet. We should send some people, let's say the middle management, to colonize a new world for us (see below, from 01:20):

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Golgafrinchans