Why become a member? ×

The Beatles music WILL be heard in 1,000 years!

SteveK

6 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I'd suggest that, rather than be remembered by a terrible song, it would be better to leave behind something behind that you're actually good at.

IME most people aren't actually any good at anything. And songwriting is just like any other skill, you have to stick with it from poor beginnings to start producing stuff that other people really want to listen to. After all I can guarantee that no-one on here was a instrumental virtuoso the first time they picked up a guitar or bass. You have to practice regularly. Songwriting is exactly the same.

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

As long as there's a recording in a digital format and digital technology exists then software to play the recording is possible. It's extremely likely though that music will be copied over to new formats as they are created. 

I'm not sure the resolution of recordings will increase significantly, mainly because the limiting factor will be the brain of the listener. One place resolution will increase is on streaming platforms because they are a bit crap.

Of course our ancestors in 1000 years time will still need a clue how to turn those zeros and ones back into an audio signal that we will recognise. Just because it is digital don't mean that it will be easy to decode once the current concepts of word-length, sampling rate and bit depth have been lost, and if musical ideas have significantly moved in during the intervening years how do you know when it "sounds right".

Edited by BigRedX
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IME most people aren't actually any good at anything. And songwriting is just like any other skill, you have to stick with it from poor beginnings to start producing stuff that other people really want to listen to. After all I can guarantee that no-one on here was a instrumental virtuoso the first time they picked up a guitar or bass. You have to practice regularly. Songwriting is exactly the same.

Of course. But with regard to the post I was relying to, I wouldn’t want a terrible song to be my legacy.

If I turned out to be a great songwriter, however…

22 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Hmm 1000 yrs?....I don't hear much stuff from William the conqueror's time being played these days, tho to be fair the cassette decks they had then were Shite....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Wow. That was surprisingly good. Nice melody and the pretty traditional verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge (instrumental)-chorus structure.

👍

... and you'll be able to hear it again in another thousand years; it's that good. 'Love me do'..? Maybe not. 9_9

2 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Wow. That was surprisingly good. Nice melody and the pretty traditional verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge (instrumental)-chorus structure.

👍

??????

Did you not realise this is a 2019 song sung in Olde English with a few words changed?

??????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Best argument against eternal life I've ever heard. I've been actively avoiding the unlovable mop-tops for most of my life, having had the misfortune to have been at primary school in their 'prime'.

Easy way to wind up my dad is to tell him the Beatles were just a sixties One Direction. 

22 minutes ago, Nicko said:

??????

Did you not realise this is a 2019 song sung in Olde English with a few words changed?

??????

A 2019 song? Of course, I won't know that. Musically, I am stuck in the 70s-90s. Sad but true*. 

*(you see what I did here? 😉

1 hour ago, Nicko said:

??????

??????

What's that..? 2019 already..? Why didn't anyone wake me..? :shok:

(... and 'No, I didn't know it was a 'modern' song sung 'old school''. How could I..? Not everyone watches 'Top of the Pops', or its current equivalent..! ¬¬)

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

“Who Knows Where the Time Goes”, Sandy Denny’s best-known and most-lauded song, was apparently the 4th or 5th song she ever wrote. And Kate Bush wrote “The Man With The Child In His Eyes”, which in my opinion is one of the best songs ever written/recorded, when she was 13; she was 16 when it was recorded. So whilst you would hope to get better at writing songs as you go, it certainly isn’t a hard and fast rule. Speaking personally, some of the best songs I’ve ever written were done in my twenties and I’m sure many infinitely more well-known and successful artists could say the same. 

2 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Speaking personally, some of the best songs I’ve ever written were done in my twenties and I’m sure many infinitely more well-known and successful artists could say the same. 

Which takes us right back to The Fabs✌️🤩

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 4000 said:

“Who Knows Where the Time Goes”, Sandy Denny’s best-known and most-lauded song, was apparently the 4th or 5th song she ever wrote. And Kate Bush wrote “The Man With The Child In His Eyes”, which in my opinion is one of the best songs ever written/recorded, when she was 13; she was 16 when it was recorded. So whilst you would hope to get better at writing songs as you go, it certainly isn’t a hard and fast rule. Speaking personally, some of the best songs I’ve ever written were done in my twenties and I’m sure many infinitely more well-known and successful artists could say the same. 

And some my most favourite songs that I've written were in my twenties too. But by then I'd had six or seven years of writing stuff that wasn't as memorable.

14 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Nope. I thought it was an original song from 1066AD but obviously sung by someone contemporary. No?

Well this catu, catig, categi, really proves it was originally wrote in med evil times dun't it?

10 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Not sure if they'll be anyone left in 100 years!

Humans are survivors if nothing else, doom has been prophesied from time immemorial, and usually doesn't come to pass!

I'm sure there will be people around in 100 and 1000 years time, what their civilization / society will be like is however anyone's guess !