Why become a member? ×

Upgraded Mexi vs Stock American Fender

Jonrh98

I've just qualified as a teacher, which means I'm getting a full time wage for the first time in September - living at home (even after parents' wage!) leaves me with a fair amount of spare cash, and for the first (and probably last!) time I can afford to buy myself a high-quality, workhorse bass, rather than flit between budget and mid range models, selling as I buy each time. 

I will be getting a passive p bass (black, maple fretboard, with a replacement black pickguard), but I'm stuck between two options:

- All stock American Pro II, nice rolled fretboard edges, V-Mod pup, high mass bridge as stock. Lovely tuners and feel too, but would set me back about 1600 quid all told.

OR

- Mexi player, sent straight to my tech to have a hi-mass installed, plus a set of SD quarter pounders or a Delano split pickup. I may also replace the tuners at a later date, but this would set me back around 900ish with the work and new parts included.

Opinions: what would you go for? I can afford either really, but the American is over a month's wages when you include a fresh set of flats and the pickguard, and I don't know if the extra 700 quid is really worth it, considering how much money it really is. I'd love to hear what people reckon. 

Cheers!

For me it wouldn't be as black and white - there are lots of shades of grey available.

The money you'd spend on a "real" US Fender would give you the choice of lots of other basses....and you'd get change.

Can I suggest you shop around and try a few other basses.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

For me it wouldn't be as black and white - there are lots of shades of grey available.

The money you'd spend on a "real" US Fender would give you the choice of lots of other basses....and you'd get change.

Can I suggest you shop around and try a few other basses.

Yeah, fair enough - and the fact that the US Fenders are so expensive is what's pushing me away from that choice.

The thing is, I do definitely want a passive, p-style bass - I've played plenty of basses in my time, and moved from active, 18v five strings to piezo electric fretlesses and everywhere inbetween - a passive p is where I feel at home, and 99% of the time it's delivers the sound I'm after. 

With that in mind, I'm pushed towards a mexi fender model because it can be very easily upgraded to match my needs. I have also considered offerings from Sandberg, but their California series are pretty damn expensive too.

Are there any other passive p-style models you'd recommend? I've not considered smaller brands like maruszcsyk, so there may be recommendations there that could be worth looking at.

6 minutes ago, bassix said:

I'd go US, I really like the Mexican players but prefer the necks on the US models. 

That is the biggest pull towards the US model for me by far - my Sire P7 fretless has rolled edges and it feels amazing, and my brothers Pro II strat neck feels like butter. It's just the question of that neck being worth 700 quid haha!

4 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

If I had £1.6k to spend on a bass then Fender would be way down on the list, can almost get a Shuker P for that.

I think that's something else troubling me - but in terms of smaller and more boutique brands, I haven't a clue - any recommendations in that area? 

A mate of mine has 2 Maruszczyks and swears by them, but other than that I have no clue

I'd go for @Sibob's Lakland P Bass he has advertised here. Seriously, for pretty much the same price as a US P Bass (which are excellent by the way) you'd be buying a sublime bass in the colour scheme of your choice. 

Alternatively, I'd go for the US P Bass. They're seriously good instruments. 

5 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I'd go for @Sibob's Lakland P Bass he has advertised here. Seriously, for pretty much the same price as a US P Bass (which are excellent by the way) you'd be buying a sublime bass in the colour scheme of your choice. 

Alternatively, I'd go for the US P Bass. They're seriously good instruments. 

Much appreciated - never played a Lakland, but heard only good things!

I'm also considering the American Performer P as well - I love a PJ set up, so might be an interesting option that saves a little bit of cash.

I don't understand the logic of buying the Mexican Precision and then sending it straight to your tech to totally change it. You are buying a bass that you don't like, otherwise you wouldn't be changing the bridge, pickups and tuners, plus changing it without knowing if you like it so already in your head you are not happy with it. Just buy the American Pro II, a US Precision as suggested or look at an alternative like the Lakland or Shuker. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I don't understand the logic of buying the Mexican Precision and then sending it straight to your tech to totally change it. You are buying a bass that you don't like, otherwise you wouldn't be changing the bridge, pickups and tuners, plus changing it without knowing if you like it so already in your head you are not happy with it. Just buy the American Pro II, a US Precision as suggested or look at an alternative like the Lakland or Shuker. 

It's not that I 'don't like' the Mexi bass, they're absolutely fine, in fact from what I've played in the Player series I really quite like the playability and feel. That's why I'd consider using it as a basis for upgrades: start with a reliable and agreeable foundation that I enjoy playing, and add elements that I particularly like, i.e. the Delano pups and a nice sturdy bridge.

3 hours ago, bassix said:

I'd go US, I really like the Mexican players but prefer the necks on the US models. 

Same, the Players are great basses but the necks on the US models just feel that bit more substantial, as do the tuners.

That said if cost is a factor, and you know you will definitely be keeping this bass, then the Player modded to your specs saves a good sum and you have an instrument adapted to your specific likings. But be aware if you were to need to move it on you wouldn’t get anywhere near the money you’d put in back on it.

Great colour choice btw

Edited by Lozz196

Had the Fender Pro P  traded for Sandberg VM4 - in comparison, the VM4 is a joy to play!

If I had £1.6k to spend on a P style bass, I'd look at a Sandberg VS4 - there's a passive version. 

Otherwise, I think Mark at Cool and Classic guitars has a nice one - if you like Black.

I do like various Fenders from different countries, but in terms of "cut through" AND being rewarding to play the Sandberg wins!  (it's the neck .....)

Good luck and let us know what happens next! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skybone said:

Second hand US made P?

Certainly something I'm planning to consider when the time comes - there's often a Japanese Fender bass or two knocking about on ebay/facebook which is tempting.

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Same, the Players are great basses but the necks on the US models just feel that bit more substantial, as do the tuners.

That said if cost is a factor, and you know you will definitely be keeping this bass, then the Player modded to your specs saves a good sum and you have an instrument adapted to your specific likings. But be aware if you were to need to move it on you wouldn’t get anywhere near the money you’d put in back on it.

Very true, retention of value is a plus to the Americans. I'm considering the Am Performer now too, substantial savings over the Pro II but supposedly a decent step above the Player.

2 minutes ago, Pirellithecat said:

Had the Fender Pro P  traded for Sandberg VM4 - in comparison, the VM4 is a joy to play!

If I had £1.6k to spend on a P style bass, I'd look at a Sandberg VS4 - there's a passive version. 

Otherwise, I think Mark at Cool and Classic guitars has a nice one - if you like Black.

I do like various Fenders from different countries, but in terms of "cut through" AND being rewarding to play the Sandberg wins!  (it's the neck .....)

Good luck and let us know what happens next! 

I love the look of the Sandbergs, and the pups sound amazing! Can you order them direct from Sandberg to the UK? I can't find a passive model to my liking on any UK shop sites, so I wonder if you can order direct?

56 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Isn't this your answer?  Get a fretted Sire P7 and have the preamp removed.

As much as I like it, it's not quite what I'd want out of an all-round bass. The pups are a little on the tame side for my liking (can be replaced of course), but preamp removal means sourcing a fresh pickguard, which has to be custom cut as nowhere makes replacements.

Same issue with the tuners, which aren't ideal - there's no drop in replacement, so it's a case of filling and re-drilling, a lot of extra work when basses like the Mexi Fenders have an abundace of drop-in parts available.

Just now, Lozz196 said:

As per @Skybones post, if considering a used US then the 2008 onwards are great basses, with the 2013 onwards being even better, with these having a slightly chunkier feeling neck and the Custom Shop pickups.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated! I've seen a few of the S-1 basses around, but only ever heard negative things about the S1 circuits, so that throws me off a bit.

Not sure about direct ordering - but if you give Mark a call at Classicandcool guitars I'm sure he'll know.  Sandberg will basically "bespoke" a guitar for you - and have a rather tempting "Configurator" on their website!    Terrible if you're trying to resist GAS!   

If you spend loads of extra on a Mexican Fender, it’ll be great for you but you’ll likely lose a bunch of your initial outlay if you choose to sell it later on. 
Lots of recommendations for other basses, but in my recent experience, if you get a good one, then there isn’t much else that out Fender Precisions a Fender Precision. 
But, as shown in these types of thread, it’s pretty subjective. 

If you are going down the modded MIM route then try to source only used parts, keeping the original ones to put back on if you decide to move it on at some point. Tring to sell upgraded basses is a fantastic way to jettison money as all those fancy parts add relatively little to the overall value.

The marketplace here is still great for cheap parts last time I looked.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 2