Why become a member? ×

Best pedal for Let's Groove...

robscott

Advice needed from you effects experts! I'm not really into effects for bass, I'm more of a plug in and play guy. I have an always-off compressor and that's it. However my band is covering EWF Let's Groove and it would be nice to snag that nice fat synthy bass sound for it, also for JTs Can't Stop The Feeling. I'm not sure if I need a synth pedal or an octave thingy so some advice here would be much appreciated. However I don't want to pay out for a do-everything effects unit with 278 sounds of which I will use one. A nice little pedal that says "Let's Groove" on the front would be ideal, or as near as I can get. All suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks for reading

Two fun tracks to play there! I've done let's groove in a few different lineups, sometimes on a Moog, sometimes with effects, and if i'm honest I've generally found a nice warm bass tone to be the best option, as Verdine does live. However either the Source Audio C4 or Future Impact, will be able to replicate the synth tone (i'd be stunned if someone on either of their threads here hasn't made a patch already, or a good Octave pedal into an Envelope Filter will get you in the ballpark. Can't stop the feeling is an interesting one... could be an envelope filter/wah, or some really slow modulation. A Phase 95 set slowly will probably please your bandmates and won't change the mix too much!

If there is a pedal that says 'let's groove' on it and makes that sound I'd want it too....unfortunately I don't think there is one. 

You could get a second hand one of the cheaper synth pedals for a roughly similar sound (EHX Bass Micro Synth 'sub' setting, or the Boss SYB-5). But cheap bass synth pedals are pretty annoying for poor tracking and latency. Or an an octaver like the OC-2 sounds similar enough. 

The C4 and Future Impact are going to probably be the best for getting the sound and having good tracking and low latency, they're expensive though. 

• Like 1

I used to play Let's Groove on an actual synth (Arturia Microbrute), since I was already using it for a couple of other songs.

Out of curiosity, I dug out my old Behringer BSY600 pedal (cheap clone of Boss SYB-5), and I think it does a passable impression: let's groove.mp3

Edited by MartinB
typo

1 hour ago, knicknack said:

Two fun tracks to play there! I've done let's groove in a few different lineups, sometimes on a Moog, sometimes with effects, and if i'm honest I've generally found a nice warm bass tone to be the best option, as Verdine does live. However either the Source Audio C4 or Future Impact, will be able to replicate the synth tone (i'd be stunned if someone on either of their threads here hasn't made a patch already, or a good Octave pedal into an Envelope Filter will get you in the ballpark. Can't stop the feeling is an interesting one... could be an envelope filter/wah, or some really slow modulation. A Phase 95 set slowly will probably please your bandmates and won't change the mix too much!

Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful. The C4 seems to get a lot of love. I'm also considering an actual Moog, which would open up lots of other possibilities. Some of those synth bass lines are a struggle to reproduce cleanly on bass!

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

If there is a pedal that says 'let's groove' on it and makes that sound I'd want it too....unfortunately I don't think there is one. 

You could get a second hand one of the cheaper synth pedals for a roughly similar sound (EHX Bass Micro Synth 'sub' setting, or the Boss SYB-5). But cheap bass synth pedals are pretty annoying for poor tracking and latency. Or an an octaver like the OC-2 sounds similar enough. 

The C4 and Future Impact are going to probably be the best for getting the sound and having good tracking and low latency, they're expensive though. 

Good advice, thanks. I think you guys are steering me away from a cheapo pedal. This tracking issue seems to come up a lot. So it's either a decent pedal or a Moog! Hmmmmm......

• Like 1

If it's just for a couple of songs then a C4 or Future Impact is overkill (although they are very addictive) a decent octave pedal will work brilliantly for "let's groove"  OC2/5 etc and "can't stop the feeling" is deffo a bubbly envelope Filter so an MXR bass envelope Filter will do that. However the price of those would probably be similar to a C4 😂

If you can find one a Digitech Bass synth Wah will work on both those for not much money😁

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lee650 said:

If it's just for a couple of songs then a C4 or Future Impact is overkill (although they are very addictive) a decent octave pedal will work brilliantly for "let's groove"  OC2/5 etc and "can't stop the feeling" is deffo a bubbly envelope Filter so an MXR bass envelope Filter will do that. However the price of those would probably be similar to a C4 😂

If you can find one a Digitech Bass synth Wah will work on both those for not much money😁

Thanks for those suggestions. I'm tracking a Digitech Bass Synth Wah on eB@y ATM, we'll see!

• Like 1