Why become a member? ×

Line6 pod go advice

WAYNESWORLD

Hi folks hope you knowledgeable people can give me your opinions. I just got a pod go and a couple of headrush 112s. Being a newbie to all these buttons and dial things I started to explore for hours into what I could expect to achieve.After a million different variations of amp cab mixtures along with compressor 10 band eq and then adding desired effects I decided to turn off the cab and amp. Bang there was my sound clear deep loud as hell if needed.It felt like the first time I had heard what my bass actually sounded like to my ears.Question is what am I really missing by not using the amp and speaker sim. Am I doing it all wrong ?The headrush is in essence a PA speaker so sending the processed signal to the PA shouldn’t be that far off I’m guessing. All advice welcome and if I’m an idiot be gentle.

• Like 1

I've just been getting used to a new box similar to yours, also going into an active speaker. While I've been very much enjoying building my patches, I can't shake the feeling that essentially I'm making Instagram filters to make my mundane bass playing seem a bit more exotic.

If your bass and your bass playing don't need tonal filters to sound good before they hit the honest-as-possible amplification, take the compliment :)

Edited by Ricky Rioli
Spelign

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback an knowing it’s not just me.I love the board it has far more than I will probably use.My reason for buying it was mainly as a all in one Stomp and EQ etc and maybe in ears use going forward.Also portability with maybe just one cab.This stuff is all new to me so the learning curve alone is enjoyable until the gigs become a bit more frequent hopefully.

Cheers 😀

Preamps are effectively EQs so if you are already running an EQ patch in your Go, it makes sense you don't need the amp model. You may find in a band context you will want the Cab sim to tame the high end and sit in the mix better, but I'm sure you can experiment with this when the time comes. 

It's all about variations in tone, I've got the Stomp and had the Pod XT Pro before that, and that constitutes a part of my "sound", the other being the DI'd sound of the bass itself, i then mix the two together at the mix down stage t get the sound that works for the song, sometimes adding extra processing to the tracks as I go. 

It depends what kind of music I'm playing, wether I'm playing fretted or fretless, what tone I think works for which song. If I'm doing something that require a particular tone, the amp and cab models cab be very useful, I like the SVT and 8x10 combo from the stomp for overdriven sounds, but the core of the sound is always the bass via a good DI.

• Like 1

You do have to approach these things as though you were approaching a new amp / cab / effect. Start from the first principles and use your ears to find what sounds good to you.

5 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

If it sounds good, then you're doing it right.  

Can't really improve on that.

Just ordered a POD Go too, so watching & waiting. Keeping the trusty HD500x though.

Same here. When I first got the PODX3 Live I was trying all kinds of amps then stumbled upon the desk preamps. 

The words of the engineer at my first studio session rang in my head: Your bass is going direct in the board.

I still use some sims but for tube sounds etc.