Why become a member? ×

Dark theme (testing)

ped

Hi folks

I've been working on a dark theme today. I've done my best but know I'll have missed something, so feel free to try it out and let me know. Screenshots are helpful if you spot a colour conflict or item which is invisible because it's the same colour as the background.

Building a theme is basically trial and error as all the various parts of the site are called completely random things and there's no logical order, so please be patient as I muck about.

Dark themes work best on good monitors which are able to distinguish between the tones, so for many of you the best screen might be your mobile. SO try it on that, too. 

Please add any thoughts here and I'll try to take them all into account, although please bear in mind that not everything is possible to adjust, and I can't please everyone!

Cheers

ped

To switch:

Select 'Basschat 2.0 (Dark)' at the bottom of the page

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 16.48.58.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 8

Just quickly scanning the marketplace and found this on a couple (but not all) sale threads, black text on the darker background, but it seems random as not all ads of the handful I've looked at have the problem. The image below is from here - 

image.thumb.png.a7caac1ec77a98e88cfc5782f66c66e6.png 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Osiris said:

Just quickly scanning the marketplace and found this on a couple (but not all) sale threads, black text on the darker background, but it seems random as not all ads of the handful I've looked at have the problem. The image below is from here - 

image.thumb.png.a7caac1ec77a98e88cfc5782f66c66e6.png 

Yes I noticed that too, thanks - I think it's because either the text is pasted from elsewhere and kept it's formatting or it was entered in a non standard colour on the light theme, if you see what I mean? Not sure I can do anything about that

• Like 1

Just now, ped said:

Yes I noticed that too, thanks - I think it's because either the text is pasted from elsewhere and kept it's formatting or it was entered in a non standard colour on the light theme, if you see what I mean? Not sure I can do anything about that

Makes sense if it's a weird formatting that the site maybe doesn't really know how to handle.

3 minutes ago, ped said:

@FinnDave Did you do anything different with the text in your Ashdown advert (above) - for example paste it from elsewhere or change the colour to black? Cheers

If I changed the colour, I did so without realising that I had done so. 

I can't honestly remember if I wrote it in Apple Pages or straight into the form. I suspect the latter, as that's what I usually do.

Have you tried the with any of my other ads (there's a Jazz bass & a Sandberg Panther in the 'basses for sale' section)?

Edited by FinnDave

1 minute ago, FinnDave said:

If I changed the colour, I did so without realising that I had done so. 

I can't honestly remember if I wrote it in Apple Pages or straight into the form. I suspect the latter, as that's what I usually do.

Have you tried the with any of my other ads (there's a Jazz bass & a Sandberg Panther in the 'basses for sale' section'?

They're the same, but this one has two colours - guessing the top line of text (grey) was added in on BC and the rest written in Pages?

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/451130-sandberg-panther-special-price-dropped-to-£1350/

@FinnDave I've removed the formatting on the Ashdown ad so it looks fine now. I can do the rest for you if you like, or if you have time just click 'edit' (three blobs, top right of post) and highlight the text and hit the button below....

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 17.17.28.png

1 minute ago, ped said:

They're the same, but this one has two colours - guessing the top line of text (grey) was added in on BC and the rest written in Pages?

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/451130-sandberg-panther-special-price-dropped-to-£1350/

I think (always a dangerous start) that I edited the top line, possibly since the great update - but I can't be certain. Is there anything you want/need me to change?