Why become a member? ×

NBD Reverend Wattplover

Happy Jack

3 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

I'd be interested to hear what you think about how much and what dfference there is with the P reversed compared with 'normal'.

Well despite what I said about launching into a 'review' five minutes after taking delivery, one thing that is immediately very in-yer-face with the OE roundwound strings is the amazing sensitivity to both pickup selection and plucking location.

The Mudbucker is less distinctive than either of the split-P selections, but you can certainly hear the differences between the three switch positions. Bring in the Tone knob (which is not just an on/off switch, as is so often the case) and you have a very good range of tones available before you get near the amp's EQ section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I was going to ask if the normal P is in the correct P-Bass position, but IIRC the bass is only 30" scale, so I suspect that the overall sound is going to be different to a traditional P-Bass anyway

Yup ... I'm perfectly happy to resort to cliche and use words like 'punchy' and 'thuddy'. Once fitted with LaBella flats, I expect that only to become more pronounced.

• Like 2

Seeing as I will shortly be fitting flats, this is the only opportunity I'll get to record some samples with the original strings. I've cobbled together a simple backing track from some raw, unprocessed recordings I made last Xmas, just to provide some context. I've selected this particular guitar break because the bassline takes me across all four strings.

Here are the six recordings in sequence:

Reverse P Open Tone.mp3

Normal P Open Tone.mp3

Mudbucker Open Tone.mp3

Reverse P Closed Tone.mp3

Normal P Closed Tone.mp3

Mudbucker Closed Tone.mp3

And here are the same six on a single file:

All Six Recordings.mp3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looking at the waveforms, what is really striking is how smooth and quiet the Mudbucker is as opposed to either of the two split-P selections. The Normal P is slightly louder than the Reverse P, which isn't really a surprise.

What IS a big surprise (to me, anyway) is the impact on the volume level of rolling off the tone control. It doesn't actually sound any louder in the room, and of course it cuts through rather less, but the amount of energy goes way up.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

@Happy Jack  is there any neck dive? The head stock shape appears much longer than on my  2007 Gibson SG bass and my 1969 Gibson slot head EB3. Both are fine for me with a 3" leather strap but the longer headsock may suggest centre of gravity moving up the neck a tad.

No - even though the bass is ridiculously light, the positioning of the strap button behind the set-neck join (very old school!) seems to offset any neckdive.

Incidentally, that button positioning means that any strap which is comfortable for you on a Precision or a Jazz will feel about 4" too short/high on the Wattplover. I had to fit a much longer strap than I expected to get the Watt to hang right for me.

• Thanks 1

Calling @BigRedX

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/retro-bass-guitars/reverend-brad-houser-bass-in-midnight-black

Don't know if that's the one you were looking at. IIRC, the one on the Reverend site looked a bit different...

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
That said, it's not in stock but "available to order"...

8 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Calling @BigRedX

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/retro-bass-guitars/reverend-brad-houser-bass-in-midnight-black

Don't know if that's the one you were looking at. IIRC, the one on the Reverend site looked a bit different...

Thanks.

Must be a new model, as the Brad Houser model I was interested in was basically a 5-string Rumblefish with two humbuckers.

15 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Yup, 3-way selector gives 'Reverse P', then 'Normal P', then Mudbucker.

If I've understood you correctly, it's a shame that you can't mix the P's and the Mudbucker.

I like the idea of the bass for sure, I'd like to see a refined non-signature version perhaps. Single 'normal' P and mudbucker (with the switch going between/blending those) and tidying up the ridiculous fingerboard guff....
I mean who, other than Mr Watt, has double dots on the 5th fret, three on the 12th fret, two on the 17th and wording on the 19th fret? Silly.

Anyway, sounds good at least haha, will be awesome with La Bella flats!!

Si

My big question is how does it balance on the strap with the top button on the back of the body? As some of you may know, I'm a big fan of 3-p'up basses but ruled this one out due to its neck-dive potential and the fact that it's pretty much impossible to try one out.

Sorry, just seen the previous answer to this one - dohhh!

Given where the top button is located and the light-weight body, this seems to defy the laws of gravity - nice trick if you can do it!  Very nice sounds btw, but I think you do right fitting the La Bella flats, I love 'em.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Given where the top button is located and the light-weight body, this seems to defy the laws of gravity - nice trick if you can do it!

In fairness, Sir Isaac Newton was never a Reverend endorsee. 

As to where to try one, next time you're up London way ...

👍🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

If that offends you, Si, best be grateful that @Silvia Bluejay forgot to photograph the side dots ...

😂

Conscious decision, as it's not easy to show the entire fingerboard from the side in a 'legible' way in a photo.

All those dot inlays, bar none, are stupid anyway!🤦‍♀️

That isn't a Fatfish 32 listed on the Andertons site but the discontinued Raymond.

I think Merchant City can order in pretty much any bass that Reverend have in stock. Might be worth contacting them if you really want one.

I've now installed a set of LaBellas, as threatened, and the bass is complete. Whereas before it merely sounded great, now it sounds righteous.

Here's a blow-for-blow repeat of the soundclips:

FLATS Reverse P Open Tone.mp3

FLATS Normal P Open Tone.mp3

FLATS Mudbucker Open Tone.mp3

FLATS Reverse P Closed Tone.mp3

FLATS Normal P Closed Tone.mp3

FLATS Humbucker Closed Tone.mp3

And again the consolidated file:

FLATS All Six Recordings.mp3

• Like 2