Why become a member? ×

Lindy Fralin PJ pickups

JeezyMcNuggles

They sound great, I’m assuming at the start it was just the neck pickup? Probably one of the best Precision sounds I’ve heard in a good while, might look into these, which ones are they, underwound/stock/overwound?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

They sound great, I’m assuming at the start it was just the neck pickup? Probably one of the best Precision sounds I’ve heard in a good while, might look into these, which ones are they, underwound/stock/overwound?

Yes, that was the split to start with. I go back and forth in the video. They're a stock set. It's the "perfect balance set" with the split J and stock P pickup. To me, they're perfect. That P pickup is amazing. And the split J works very well with it.

Edited by JeezyMcNuggles
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Simon. said:

Always wanted to try a set of these. What do they retail for?

What's great though, is that they don't do endorsements of any kind. Every single person who has a lindy fralin pickup in their instrument, paid exactly what you paid for them, or more. Depending on customizations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Simon. said:

Cheers. I have a set of Wizards in my PJ at the moment, which are great, but you just hear so many good things about the Fralin's. That's a lot to splash out just to see if you like them, though...

Haha, yup. Yes it is. I've got the stock set in my jazz bass, and they have to be the greatest jazz pickups ever wound. So, when I was looking to swap out my Quarter Pounders in my PJ, I just went straight to Fralin and starting looking around. Glad I did. Sure beats buying and trying out 3 or 4 others, and not being happy. That adds up quick.

This bass started with Nordstrands. NP4a and NJ4SE, then Duncan Quarter Pounders, then the Delano set with the 3/8 poles, then back to Quarter pounders, then a set of Yosemites, back to the Nordys, Duncan SB-1 set, back to the Nordys, now its got fralins. I'm happy now 😀 I'm done. Hahaha

Bass Direct do them as well, though their website shows the stock/balanced wind ones to be out of stock at present. I`ve been after a pickup that gives slightly thinner mids and these certainly sound like what I`m after. Problem with many that do that is they also tend to boost the lows to a point that I don`t like whereas these sound perfect for what I`m looking for. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Bass Direct do them as well, though their website shows the stock/balanced wind ones to be out of stock at present. I`ve been after a pickup that gives slightly thinner mids and these certainly sound like what I`m after. Problem with many that do that is they also tend to boost the lows to a point that I don`t like whereas these sound perfect for what I`m looking for. 

Exactly! That was my problem!

The Nordstrands, while they have that same quirky mid range, are a little heavy in lows, and a little too high in the top also. The Duncan SPB-1 sounded great, but the set just didn't go together right. It drops output, and I just couldn't get the sound I wanted. The quarter pounders are just too beefy, and a little dark sounding. Then together was just way too much of a scoop. The Delanos, again, didn't work well together at all. Completely different output between the two. But, by themselves, each one sounds great for a modern tone. Trash when used together.

These, hit right on the mark.