Why become a member? ×

Do I Have To Become a Christian to Get A Gig

Chienmortbb

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am not sure why you would want to do it if you weren't religious though. I am assuming it doesn't pay much and I can't imagine there is much flexibility in songs unless I guess you are an original band, do they have those? Sort of like a cover band, but with a thinner choice.

Nor me, but the title kinda implies it !

Personally I loathe all religion...purely IMHO

I had a serious orchestral concert gig a few years ago which included a gospel choir for backing vocals - it wasn't religious music though. They were very good. I also did a vocal training workshop which featured gospel singers as part of the day. The day would have been better in my view without the additon of the gospel singing. 

When I was younger I was involved with the church quite a lot, but I never liked the worship band type of music - I really dislike it. I know a few people who are involved with that though and they quite obviously enjoy it, but it's not for me. I have had issues with some extremely arrogant church band groups when I've been involved with music workshops and they come in towards the end to set up for their rehearsal whilst we're finishing our workshop. Rude would be an understatement. They quite evidently held in utter contempt the music that we were trying to perform and did nothing but bang and clatter whilst we were finishing off (we were within the time we'd booked and paid for). 

I have no involvement with church now, I'm an atheist and I really have no time for religion. I'm not going to stop people following their religion if they so wish provided that they don't start telling me what I may or may not do.    

• Sad 1

It was a light hearted comment that started the thread but some serious points have come out. Not least that religious organisations are not covered by the same laws and rules that the rest of us do. I won't go on but so many of the bad things that go on in the world start with religion and I could not be the hypocrite to play in a worship band.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

so many of the bad things that go on in the world start with religion 

And so many things like feeding the hungry and giving people access to healthcare start with religion too.

Personally I would have no qualms accepting a gig if was playing with gospel singers who could belt it out like Aretha.

• Like 1

It's too simplistic to blame bad things on religion.

Essentially all bad things are down to humans and their ideologies. Can't remember who said it but a philosopher said people don't have ideas, ideas have people.

Religions were just early ideologies. Nowadays it's capitalism, consumerism, individualism, communism etc. The common denominator is people with ideas.

Better to blame them than Jesus or Allah

• Like 1

[Mod's hat on] One option would be to allow this topic to run; there is debate even in the Upper Echelons as to why Religion should be exempt from mockery where other subjects are fair game. Still, The Rules is The Rules, for now, and it looks as if this topic has had its best replies; any more risk stepping into Forbidden Territory. Goodnight, all, then; thanks for the positive contributions. Topic locked. [/Mod's hat on]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1