Jump to content

English speaking metal? Nah, me likee this!


ubit
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ubit said:

 

Thanks, this was pretty good. I especially like how several bands incorporated traditional Chinese folk music.  I also liked that the first and last band featured Spector basses 🙂

All in all, much more creativity here than in the following "Top 10 Metal Songs" video: 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love Rick Beato. He just knows so much about all kinds of music and is hugely qualified and knowledgeable about mixing and getting the best out of songs and the instruments that build them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, ubit said:

I love Rick Beato. He just knows so much about all kinds of music and is hugely qualified and knowledgeable about mixing and getting the best out of songs and the instruments that build them.

Agree and it is obviously not his fault that these current Top 10 lists are what they are. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ubit said:

I love Rick Beato. He just knows so much about all kinds of music and is hugely qualified and knowledgeable about mixing and getting the best out of songs and the instruments that build them.

Yeah I'm a follower. Rick's got great knowledge and musical ability. Without being crushing in his criticism he explains kindly and technically why something is a crock of shyte without actually saying so. My review of this top 10 would be a tad more harsh.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Their Thai name is Hin-Lake-Fai, which means stone-metal-fire. The song is Cat Woman, & the repeating line is 'bPai Longe Naroke', go down to Hell 😀

There are Heavier in Thailand, but when I was there THIS was The Heavy Metal band, but unfortunately they softened up over time, & even did an acoustic version of their most popular song:

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Nice, but is it really metal? Sounds more like hard rock to me 😉 

Does everything need growling vocals to be Heavy Metal?

They ranged from Heavy Metal to Hard Rock, & sometimes Poppy ballads, kinda like Deep Purple:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Killed_by_Death said:

 

Their Thai name is Hin-Lake-Fai, which means stone-metal-fire. The song is Cat Woman, & the repeating line is 'bPai Longe Naroke', go down to Hell 😀

There are Heavier in Thailand, but when I was there THIS was The Heavy Metal band, but unfortunately they softened up over time, & even did an acoustic version of their most popular song:

 

Things have improved a bit in Thailand then. I lived there for 4 years, from 1986-90, the music I heard was pure shi*te. There were some places in the south that would have music blearing out of loudpeakers after 10pm, I asked my girlfriend why? She said it was to help everyone get to sleep!  The last 3 years I was a monk so didn't listen to music anyway and then I went off to live in Burma.  I don't remember any music that wasn't pop or traditional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BillyBass said:

 I don't remember any music that wasn't pop or traditional

When I was working at General Motors on a Y2K project, a new artist emerged that was really making a name for himself:

My Thai coworkers were livid when they asked what I thought of him & I said he was cliché. He had some 'heavy' songs, but mostly pandering about women.

 

later-on he did a Pop song with one of the biggest names in Thai Pop, Bird McIntosh:

The lyrics were EDGY, he sings: If you put a Buddha in your mouth, I still wouldn't believe your words

a bit of 180 degree flip from his 'crying for her to come back' stuff he did in the past

 

Even later he went quite mad & was streaming videos of himself at home alone in a dark room, proclaiming himself Thailand's Rock Star.

He's Thailand's Kanyé!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

When I was working at General Motors on a Y2K project, a new artist emerged that was really making a name for himself:

My Thai coworkers were livid when they asked what I thought of him & I said he was cliché. He had some 'heavy' songs, but mostly pandering about women.

 

later-on he did a Pop song with one of the biggest names in Thai Pop, Bird McIntosh:

The lyrics were EDGY, he sings: If you put a Buddha in your mouth, I still wouldn't believe your words

a bit of 180 degree flip from his 'crying for her to come back' stuff he did in the past

 

 

 

 

Slightly edgy, for Thailand at least. "Om Pra" might have upset a few old people but the song is still full of phrases like: 'chan rak ter" which was what all the syrupy pop I heard in the 1980s had every second line.

I never went to the Philippines but I heard they had a decent music scene when I was travelling, back in the 1980s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Hmm, I worked in the PI as well, last time in Batangas on Shell's new gas plant, Malampaya.

I did not notice anything heavier than sappy Pop. Kara-okay TV was all the rage there, most bars had a large TV that people would sing into. (and KTV signs out front)

You also had to check your weapons at the door:

Justice_sign.jpg

 

We had this on the sign at the gate at work, no blades over 10 cm.

 

You probably had to seek out the Heavy Metal in PI, much like in Thailand.

There was ONE bar in all of Bangkok that regularly had Heavy Metal, & it was a flash-in-the-pan.

 

Edited by Killed_by_Death
fixed image URL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

 

Hmm, I worked in the PI as well, last time in Batangas on Shell's new gas plant, Malampaya.

I did not notice anything heavier than sappy Pop. Kara-okay TV was all the rage there, most bars had a large TV that people would sing into. (and KTV signs out front)

You also had to check your weapons at the door:

Justice_sign.jpg

 

We had this on the sign at the gate at work, no blades over 10 cm.

 

I heard some gun stories about the Philippines when I was travelling.  Though Thailand never had a gun problem, do you remember seeing the signs by the roads when entering the larger towns 'Kaed bPlawd awud'  It was mainly to stop farmers bringing in shotguns and the like I thought.  You see the nice side of Thais when you are a monk, so maybe my experience is different to others.

 

'Decent music scene' should be taken in the context of Asia in the 1980s, no punk or metal but lots of cover bands in pubs doing Creedence Clearwater Revival songs etc.  Don't compare it to the west but decent by Asian standards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a Filipino lead singer for a bit, unfortunately her UK visa ran out and she had to go back.

 

Im trying to get hold of one of a bass from a shop in Metro Manila

 

https://ddmusic.ph/product/dd-awingan-4s-bass-black/

 

I'd never heard of Jason Astete but 11250 Filipino pesos is so cheap that even with import duty and VAT it would be worth taking a punt on it.  I'm hoping that as its a signature bass it might be well made. I like the idea of a Humbucker at the bridge and a P pup at the neck.  The shop are still sorting out how to export their stuff so I've got to wait.

Edited by BillyBass
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

remember seeing the signs by the roads when entering the larger towns 'Kaed bPlawd awud'  

I became accustomed to them, but mostly at government buildings, like the department of motor vehicles or the police station.

309340841d13c3113bad4e73d47cf81f.jpg

No Drugs was added

 

There are quite a few Pinoy cover bands working in hotels in Bangkok. i knew a beautiful Pinay gal named Jemima. She got dressed up quite nicely to sing Jazz at the cocktail lounge in one of the 5-star hotels.

 

Edited by Killed_by_Death
added photo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I became accustomed to them, but mostly at government buildings, like the department of motor vehicles or the police station.

309340841d13c3113bad4e73d47cf81f.jpg

No Drugs was added

 

There are quite a few Pinoy cover bands working in hotels in Bangkok. i knew a beautiful Pinay gal named Jemima. She got dressed up quite nicely to sing Jazz at the cocktail lounge in one of the 5-star hotels.

 

So basically, having drugs outside is fine, you just have to dump them there if you are going past! Glad that's clear then.

13 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

a split-coil P-style pickup is also a humbucker

😀

You don't say!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

having drugs outside is fine, you just have to dump them there if you are going past!

You might already be aware, but balisongs are everywhere in the PI, & they know how to use them.

I bought mine there, it's a beauty:

SCMF_FrontOpen1_Nov2016.jpg

I see the prices people are paying for them now & I'm a little gobsmacked. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We used to see No Fire Arms signs all the time when I worked in Nigeria. There is definitely NOT a heavy metal scene in Nigeria. We used to joke that if you wanted to get any of them out of your office you just had to stick on any guitar music on the stereo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Does everything need growling vocals to be Heavy Metal?

They ranged from Heavy Metal to Hard Rock, & sometimes Poppy ballads, kinda like Deep Purple:

 

Sorry, I was just teasing you with your own thread 😉 Clearly did not work.

 

Judas Priest's Rocka Rolla: Heavy Metal or Hard Rock?  

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...