Why become a member? ×

Trying out mhoss32 's EQ system!

Andyjr1515

Hi

Anyone who has been following @mhoss32 's stunning build...

...will have been as awe-struck as I was with the sheer depth and breadth of inventiveness in the building and equipping of that amazing instrument.

It's worth a full re-read of the thread, whether it is for the immensely impressive wood-working, the top-drawer finishing, the designing and making of his own pickups or for the design and manufacture of his own EQ system!!!

So you can imagine how happy was I when @mhoss32 approached me to try out his EQ in one of my basses :party:

Hmmm...which bass...

....hmmm....all of my own basses are still with Matt Marriott...

Why are they with Matt?

Well, he has been doing some videos of a number of my builds - electric, acoustic and bass - and what with Covid, etc, still has them.  And it includes 'Kert's Camphor Singlecut':

....hmmm...now there's an idea 

:)

• Like 3

And so the plan is for me to take out the 2-channel Seymour Duncan EQ and fit @mhoss32 's system and get Matt to do a video with it fitted :)

Two initial challenges were:

Challenge 1  Getting it back from Matt ;) 

Achieved!  More than that, before passing it back across, Matt did me a video of the same piece that he will play when the new system's been fitted, as a reference.  And here it is back at chez Andyjr1515:

QqV37rQl.jpg

Challenge 2  Fitting the 4 knob system into the existing 3 knob control chamber and making it reversible

This took a bit of thinking through, some measuring and a fair bit of PM to-and-froing between the two of us.  Solution was:

- Go V/T/T 

- Add a blend pot

- Fit the above blend pot in a false control cover at the back of the bass

Well, got half a chance!

That decided, @mhoss32 made up a blend pot loom for me and sent the blend loom, battery loom, volume unit and two tone units on to me while I got on with stripping out the SD EQ from the bass and cutting a temporary control cover:

coyUKNcl.jpg

• Like 4

So here was the plan.

The three integrated pcb pots were only going to fit in one orientation, but happily with just enough room for the hatch-fixed pot to sit in the middle of them all:

YUuFZWal.jpg

But this was ignoring the substantial wiring looms and connectors.  It took some judicious 'under the cover' chisel work to get this to fit without any boards or components shorting or fouling ;) 

What the eye don't see...  :

dTPLLBUl.jpg

...the heart don't grieve over  :lol: :

9rBEDinl.jpg

What - no zip ties?

Actually, no.  There is so little room between the bottom of the hatch and the top of the units, that I have to spread the connecting wires around the area for the hatch to fully seat :)

If this becomes a permanent fixture - which given my first impressions, it might! - I will simply drill the fourth hole in the camphor top and have the blend front-mounted, which would give me the ability to put in some much neater cable routing but, at the moment, it is function over form :)

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

will work better with your not so stiff construction allowing the wood to "breathe"

You mean with my weak necks and all the holes that I drill in the wrong place and cover with veneer? xD

Fair point...    :)

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, benh said:

Did you manage to get any recordings sorted @Andyjr1515? Following with interest as I have one of @mhoss32's wonderful filter preamps ready to go in my build, and can't wait to hear how it sounds 🙂

The bass is back with Matt Marriott.  I've got one of his 6 string electrics I'm doing some mods on - I'll use it as collateral to make sure he doesn't get too distracted on other things ;)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, benh said:

Did you manage to get any recordings sorted @Andyjr1515? Following with interest as I have one of @mhoss32's wonderful filter preamps ready to go in my build, and can't wait to hear how it sounds 🙂

But I did, of course, play it before I passed it over, although not through a proper bass rig. 

Very promising indeed and quite different to any other I've used.  But I better not spill the beans and spoil Matt's glory :D

• Like 1