Why become a member? ×

ESP 400 series jazz bass

maxoges

5 minutes ago, maxoges said:

I found a lot when I searched google. Most of the info was from somebody trying to sell the bass :)

I'll gladly have any info you might give me!

You've got one... can you tell us about it? 

I'm guessing you've found the old ESP catalogues (search catalog) with the 400 series in? 

• Thanks 1

I have one of these basses. Got it new around 87 and its probably the best Jazz bass I have owned. Its done hundreds of gigs, been on TV, recorded albums and is a gem of a bass. A couple of people here have played it and have loved it. I also have two necks for it, the original fretted and a fretless. Mine is thoroughly beaten up these days which just adds to the history of it.

So this is what I know about the bass. The ESP 400 Series Jazz was made at the same factory as the Japanese Fender basses. I am led to believe that its exactly the same spec as a Japanese Fender but depending on what the production run is, it could end up with an ESP decal on the headstock, a Fender decal or I think one other. This probably explains why the headstock is identical to a Fender (as it is a Fender neck) and if you buy replacement Fender parts like neck plates, control plates, etc. the screws holes all line up. The bass is based on a Fender 1966 Jazz bass and explains the very thin neck. That's as much as I know about them apart from them being fantastic to play.

Here a picture of mine at a gig. You can see its a bit beaten up. I also changed the pickups to Bart's which also sound fab.

71292796_10218344539137648_9154570118221529088_n.thumb.jpg.19803d30b214642178faf1f5dbf94196.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

The ESP 400 Series Jazz was made at the same factory as the Japanese Fender basses.

Are you sure about that? Japanese Fender was/is Fujigen Gakki (with some made by Tokai) I think ESP had their own factories shared with PGM maybe? Not sure on that but I don't think Fujigen made ESP 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Are you sure about that? Japanese Fender was/is Fujigen Gakki (with some made by Tokai) I think ESP had their own factories shared with PGM maybe? Not sure on that but I don't think Fujigen made ESP 

actually - @Bassassinwould be the person if his knowledge of japanese luthiery extends to ESP

400 series was ESP's line of export guitars and basses made in the mid 80s, in the US they ended up with a different headstock, earlier ones or ones for outside the US like yours has a fender shape headstock. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

actually - @Bassassinwould be the person if his knowledge of japanese luthiery extends to ESP

400 series was ESP's line of export guitars and basses made in the mid 80s, in the US they ended up with a different headstock, earlier ones or ones for outside the US like yours has a fender shape headstock. 

I believe this is the case and what I've been told on a few occasions when I was enquiring about this bass.

I emailed ESP many years ago about my 400 Series. Any records they had were destroyed in a fire in the 90's, but he put it somewhere between 88-91. Regardless of any of that, it's an incredible bass.

4D44E7F8-2537-4D61-A53B-A3F97CD55B62.thumb.jpeg.c3474b6cddbbd33b7c6302bde4e1bb59.jpeg

And here's a page from their 1990 catalogue

esp.thumb.JPG.9c49727ff37fa37cc877cc14391e3c34.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

I have one of these basses. Got it new around 87 and its probably the best Jazz bass I have owned. Its done hundreds of gigs, been on TV, recorded albums and is a gem of a bass. A couple of people here have played it and have loved it. I also have two necks for it, the original fretted and a fretless. Mine is thoroughly beaten up these days which just adds to the history of it.

So this is what I know about the bass. The ESP 400 Series Jazz was made at the same factory as the Japanese Fender basses. I am led to believe that its exactly the same spec as a Japanese Fender but depending on what the production run is, it could end up with an ESP decal on the headstock, a Fender decal or I think one other. This probably explains why the headstock is identical to a Fender (as it is a Fender neck) and if you buy replacement Fender parts like neck plates, control plates, etc. the screws holes all line up. The bass is based on a Fender 1966 Jazz bass and explains the very thin neck. That's as much as I know about them apart from them being fantastic to play.

Here a picture of mine at a gig. You can see its a bit beaten up. I also changed the pickups to Bart's which also sound fab.

71292796_10218344539137648_9154570118221529088_n.thumb.jpg.19803d30b214642178faf1f5dbf94196.jpg

I've played Michael's Jazz and it's a super bass. Bang for buck it's decidedly right up there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...