Why become a member? ×

Bought a bass but...

TheGreek

Are you still waiting for it to arrive? (Your post reads as though you are). If so, I'd suggest just having a good look at it yourself - obviously you'll do this anyway - and you may find it's all fine. My point being that people often assess thing incorrectly and jump to the wrong conclusion. Fingers crossed for you that this is the case and that it's all ok or, at the worst, an easy fix. 

23 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Same as...and I use light strings. 

I'll need to scrounge some washers (if it's that easy), Worst case scenario I'll need to visit a local luthier (probably @gary mac)

Gary will certainly be able to sort it, he’s just done a cracking job setting up my 5-string Precision

• Like 1

I haven't put my hands on it yet - in the post tomorrow.

Seller says he took it to his local luthier who reports the truss rod is maxed out - some say it's just a matter of adding a couple of washers (though so far all I know is 5mm internal, no external measurement). One parts supplier suggested that Yamahas (well actually Ibanez) don't use single action trussrods. As far as I can tell this is. 

Anybody know better? (I'm assuming that @AndyTravis does).

Photos to follow.

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Gary will certainly be able to sort it, he’s just done a cracking job setting up my 5-string Precision

I have absolute faith in Gary's work - he set up my HB Tele - and though I'm no expert, guitarists who have tried it have made positive noises.

Here it is:

20210730_161722.jpg

20210730_161755.jpg

I got in contact with Yamaha UK and they're sending out the required parts to make good on the truss rod repair. 

TBH I'm not sure on the body shape. 

A couple of options. 

First is to move it on but this would be a shame as it sounds amazing. 

Second is to commission a smaller body but I anticipate that costing more than the bass.

Need my premium bonds to come in. 

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

Neck is straight so no issue there, however the action is high (for me) and I plan to lower this as soon as I can.

Yamaha UK are sending the required parts (washers) which should arrive on Monday at which time the action is going down....better chance of me gelling with it then.

• Like 1

I think he shot himself in the foot. 

I've just lowered the action - the truss rod was stiff but not maxed out. In fact it was over-tightened so I had to let it off slightly. Made the adjustments - will leave it over night and refine the set up/ micro adjustments in the morning.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I think he shot himself in the foot. 

I've just lowered the action - the truss rod was stiff but not maxed out. In fact it was over-tightened so I had to let it off slightly. Made the adjustments - will leave it over night and refine the set up/ micro adjustments in the morning.

The relief, or the action? Perhaps the problem is at the bridge. What’s the relief like?

It was over-tightened (concave) so I let the truss rod off a little and it's now virtually flat. Adjusted the saddles at the same time to put the intonation back in tune.

My local luthier and Bernie Goodfellow both said to leave a bass to settle overnight before doing final micro adjustments. That's where I'm at. It feels much more playable already.

• Like 2