Why become a member? Ɨ

PA repair recommendations SW

Jakester

We have a pair of Mackie Thump 12"s, and I noticed at our last gig the master vol pot on one of them was bent.Ā  It still works, but I'd like to replace it to avoid problems down the line.Ā 

Ā 

I presume as a result of someone either dropping the speaker or putting something heavy on it.. šŸ™„

Ā 

Polar Audio say they don't do out of warranty Mackie repairs. They recommend Real Electronics or Surrey Amps. My recent experience with Real was it could well be VERY expensive, let alone the cost of postage. Not used SA before but again the cost of postage could be expensive.Ā 

Ā 

So, does anyone know of any PA repair places in and around Bath/Bristol? I presume a new vol pot will be a standard part and hopefully not TOO difficult to repair...šŸ¤žšŸ»

One part of the cost is that although the replacement is cheap (soldering + the pot itself), the dismantling and putting everything back takes quite a lot of time.

If you have time and can keep everything in order, the replacement is something you might do yourself. I still point out that please be careful if you are not that familiar with electronics. Every cable has to be inside the box, do not tighten any cable between case parts. Bending PCBA or braking any component can lead to an unrepairable unit.

I'm with @ituon this. If doing it yourself photographing what goes where is a must. As far as I know Real do not repair to component level, they just swap PCB's, so if you're not confident unsoldering/soldering, you should be able to source a new board and swap it yourself. At least that saves the 2 way postage, Labour and VAT.

• Like 1

It's unlikely to beĀ cheap, wherever you go. The parts may cost little, but (and this tends to applyĀ especially to budget gear) replacing them can be a nightmare, even a non-starter, depending on how the amp module is constructed. If it's aĀ discreet unit (some are even sealed), repair may not be possible. You may, as someone else points out, need an entire replacementĀ PCB or module. Not trying to be discouraging, but it can happen.

• 1 month later...

This post is a bit old now so you may already have it fixed. I am an amp tech based in Wells and would be happy to take a look at your speaker. PM me if you are interested. From memory the master volume is a dual gang pot and it might be tricky to find an exact replacement. Spare parts at module level are usually available. The last repair I did on one of these was to replace the entire amp assembly. The cost was about Ā£140 for the part and Ā£30 to fit it.