Why become a member? ×

Badges! We don't need no stinking badges!

True badger story

Many years ago, I was driving down a lane in Kent that i knew very well, slowed for a corner and saw a lump in the road, i pulled up, in the lights i saw a flicker of an eye in this "lump".. I jump out of the motor and there at my feet a badger, clearly just been hit by a previous car and still just alive..

I had an old blanket in the car so bundled him up in it and put him on the passenger seat.. My plan was to take him to a local stables where i knew them very well, and ask about a vet or whatever, assuming the badger didn't die shortly.

Anyway I drive off with my patient, the place was circa 10 mins away..after a few minutes in the warm car, I'm aware of stirring in the seat beside me, seems to be perking up a bit... Good sign anyway, five mins later when nearing my destination, the badger was by now fully conscious and standing up with his front paws on the car door looking out of the window !

Clearly he'd been hit and stunned but otherwise seemed ok on the face of it.. I arrive at the stables and we confer about what to do with him.. We decide to put him in a spare stable overnight with straw bedding and water to drink, and re- appraise in the morning, getting the vet to him if it looks to be necessary.

After a bit of a chat i go and watch him for a while in his temporary "accommodation" by this time he's quite lively and trying to climb up the old brick walls of the stable to get out... After a bit more serious conferring we decide he doesn't appear to have suffered any serious injury, and on balance seems the best plan to release him... obviously we'd never have done so if we had any doubts that he had injuries, the lady who owned the stables was very experienced, over decades, with all types of animal so I'd trust her judgement, this was my impression also.

It was about 10 pm by now, so I quietly opened the stable door and stood away... Or friend had a bit of a sniff round, then trotted off out of the door and down the big field behind the stables.. He looked absolutely fine with a fairly jaunty swagger as he disappeared into the night.

He'd easily be able to back track to where he came from, hopefully going via the farmer's fields rather than the road !

And that's my close encounter with a badger... People say they're savage and will have your fingers off, but this one was happy enough in the car with me it seems, even quite chilled out like a dog or something!

I'm sure he was fine, hope he learned a life lesson about roads and traffic for the future.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

True badger story

Many years ago, I was driving down a lane in Kent that i knew very well, slowed for a corner and saw a lump in the road, i pulled up, in the lights i saw a flicker of an eye in this "lump".. I jump out of the motor and there at my feet a badger, clearly just been hit by a previous car and still just alive..

I had an old blanket in the car so bundled him up in it and put him on the passenger seat.. My plan was to take him to a local stables where i knew them very well, and ask about a vet or whatever, assuming the badger didn't die shortly.

Anyway I drive off with my patient, the place was circa 10 mins away..after a few minutes in the warm car, I'm aware of stirring in the seat beside me, seems to be perking up a bit... Good sign anyway, five mins later when nearing my destination, the badger was by now fully conscious and standing up with his front paws on the car door looking out of the window !

Clearly he'd been hit and stunned but otherwise seemed ok on the face of it.. I arrive at the stables and we confer about what to do with him.. We decide to put him in a spare stable overnight with straw bedding and water to drink, and re- appraise in the morning, getting the vet to him if it looks to be necessary.

After a bit of a chat i go and watch him for a while in his temporary "accommodation" by this time he's quite lively and trying to climb up the old brick walls of the stable to get out... After a bit more serious conferring we decide he doesn't appear to have suffered any serious injury, and on balance seems the best plan to release him... obviously we'd never have done so if we had any doubts that he had injuries, the lady who owned the stables was very experienced, over decades, with all types of animal so I'd trust her judgement, this was my impression also.

It was about 10 pm by now, so I quietly opened the stable door and stood away... Or friend had a bit of a sniff round, then trotted off out of the door and down the big field behind the stables.. He looked absolutely fine with a fairly jaunty swagger as he disappeared into the night.

He'd easily be able to back track to where he came from, hopefully going via the farmer's fields rather than the road !

And that's my close encounter with a badger... People say they're savage and will have your fingers off, but this one was happy enough in the car with me it seems, even quite chilled out like a dog or something!

I'm sure he was fine, hope he learned a life lesson about roads and traffic for the future.

I honestly thought the end of that story was going to be that you ran over the wretched beast as you left the stables.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nicko said:

I honestly thought the end of that story was going to be that you ran over the wretched beast as you left the stables.

... and I was waiting for the moment the badger starts talking in the car and you realise that you really should not have eaten these funny looking mushrooms you had found earlier in the forest 😉 

5 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

People say they're savage and will have your fingers off, but this one was happy enough in the car with me it seems

Reportedly there are huge differences between individuals - badgers being kept on "farms" ranging from dog like ones to vile bone choppers. I'd guess free ones would be averagely "worse".

3 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

... and I was waiting for the moment the badger starts talking in the car and you realise that you really should not have eaten these funny looking mushrooms you had found earlier in the forest 😉 

He'd have to be wearing a hat, sunglasses, and smoking with a cigarette holder really :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Reportedly there are huge differences between individuals - badgers being kept on "farms" ranging from dog like ones to vile bone choppers. I'd guess free ones would be averagely "worse".

I'd think this one was still a bit shocked after the ordeal, so maybe that chilled him out a bit, but he was fully awake in the later stage of his car trip with me and didn't seem to have any prob being beside me, looking out of the window !

He was certainly a properly wild & free animal too 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

five mins later when nearing my destination, the badger was by now fully conscious and standing up with his front paws on the car door looking out of the window !

I can only imagine what motorists coming in the opposite direction made of it.

”Maureen, you know I told you I thought I saw a badger in Lidl the other day, well…” 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

I can only imagine what motorists coming in the opposite direction made of it.

”Maureen, you know I told you I thought I saw a badger in Lidl the other day, well…” 

Pity it wasn't when I had my old left hand drive American truck, they'd think he was driving  ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Just having noticed being 'promoted' to a gungy green starfish, it represents "proficient" apparently, seems a bit of a downward turn from "rising star" ... What's to come next ?  "Yeah kinda alright-ish" 

next you will be "Experienced" (11/14), then you will become a "Mentor" (not sure to whom though, 12/14), followed by becoming a Veteran (having survived many BC battles, I guess, 13/14) and finally a "Grand Master" (interestingly a term normally used for "a chess player of the highest class, especially one who has won an international tournament.2. the head of an order of chivalry or of Freemasons", e.g. the Jedi order, 14/14).  

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 19:16, Waddo Soqable said:

Badger spends rest of it's life dining out on its 'abducted by aliens' story...😀

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

next you will be "Experienced" (11/14), then you will become a "Mentor" (not sure to whom though, 12/14), followed by becoming a Veteran (having survived many BC battles, I guess, 13/14) and finally a "Grand Master" (interestingly a term normally used for "a chess player of the highest class, especially one who has won an international tournament.2. the head of an order of chivalry or of Freemasons", e.g. the Jedi order, 14/14).  

Cool, I can then ask "are you experienced..? "  followed by wailing noises on stratocaster git type thing...

I wonder who invents these "titles" I assume it comes free, packaged with a do your own forum starter kit....

Unlike most people on this thread (I haven't taken the time to read all of the posts as I am far too lazy)I couldn't give two hoots about there being badges or not. If the mods have deemed it good for people to take pride in getting their proficiency badges then so be it. I've always wanted my knots badge but never quite got it. Maybe this will be my year.

11 minutes ago, ubit said:

Unlike most people on this thread (I haven't taken the time to read all of the posts as I am far too lazy)I couldn't give two hoots about there being badges or not. If the mods have deemed it good for people to take pride in getting their proficiency badges then so be it. I've always wanted my knots badge but never quite got it. Maybe this will be my year.

DF0EdKFXkAAuMr8-1.thumb.jpg.7a0835d3845277d1ef57f260994b246a.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Just having noticed being 'promoted' to a gungy green starfish, it represents "proficient" apparently, seems a bit of a downward turn from "rising star" ... What's to come next ?  "Yeah kinda alright-ish" 

I passed the ‘proficiency’ level last week as well - this is the previous proficiency badge I attained…..

6D522393-FA97-43D6-92DD-F3B19BB17053.thumb.jpeg.8f7427f6ed7813769f9ffdb04ee91f3d.jpeg

Have you taken a look at the amount of power/rating you need to achieve the next level - it’s about double what you have already!!! 

There are additional ‘badges’ awarded it seems. I quite like mine, even if the forum level of ‘proficient’ is a bit naff!!

A9F2FFD2-96DB-41D0-91BE-436B890343A7.thumb.jpeg.2eae1b0e1bbe2b6648fb2e423eaa3fc9.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

I passed the ‘proficiency’ level last week as well - this is the previous proficiency badge I attained…..

6D522393-FA97-43D6-92DD-F3B19BB17053.thumb.jpeg.8f7427f6ed7813769f9ffdb04ee91f3d.jpeg

Have you taken a look at the amount of power/rating you need to achieve the next level - it’s about double what you have already!!! 

There are additional ‘badges’ awarded it seems. I quite like mine, even if the forum level of ‘proficient’ is a bit naff!!

A9F2FFD2-96DB-41D0-91BE-436B890343A7.thumb.jpeg.2eae1b0e1bbe2b6648fb2e423eaa3fc9.jpeg

I remember the cycling proficiency test things, we were very dismissive of them and the kids who took them tho, we had progressed to getting old scrap scooters and mopeds going, and caning around the woods / back alleys on them, so we thought we were far to "hard" to do kid's stuff like that :) ( we'd be about 12 here ! )