Why become a member? ×

Badges! We don't need no stinking badges!

I joined Basschat almost nine and a half years ago and am now, according to the new 'improved' system, a 'rookie' with two watts!  Look forward to the next ten years, when I might make 'owns a bass' status. "Hard boiled eggs and nuts!"

1696340F-C7A0-4DDD-B4D4-F53E916FEC91.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just to add my tuppence to teh discussion:

Badges, meh.

The system looks similar to Tripadvisor where apparently I'm a top contributor and level 37 Restaurant expert.  I've often wondered what the point of it is unless swanky restaurants start offering me freebies.  However, when reading reviews on that site I generally ignore any reviews where the reviewer has almost no reviews as I'm suspicious that they either work for the place being reviewed or at a competitor business.  That doesn't really apply here though.

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

So you didn’t get the job then , I would definitely come and see that 😁

Well I took the literal approach and turned up with a bass made out of a toaster, barbed wire and a cardboard box.

”Don’t push, I’m going”, I said, as I was ushered out of the building, “I was only making good use of the things that we find. You know: the things that the everyday folk leave behind”.

It only seemed to make things worse… 

• Haha 7

On 26/07/2021 at 07:37, lownote said:

and 'Supporting Member'. What's all that about?  There are plenty of people who think I am a 'member' without BC joining in the abuse. It's ridiculous and sounds like I'm congratulating myself for paying up to advertise. And these STUPID badges are against the whole spirit of BC, where newbies and experienced members  could chat without being ranked or being conscious of each other's 'status'.  Please get rid.

Edit: Just how stupid this is is shown by my having apparently earned a 'Great Content' badge for posting this!

Its Ok for you, we did not have gold stars at our school. This is the first time I have got a gold star.

• Haha 2

My eyesight is getting worse by the day. Is this thread about bagels or beagles? And why do they stink? I realise that just about all dogs can smell a bit off after a good roll in some other animals excrement, but why would a bagel smell? Does it depend on what they've been dunked in? Have I run out of question marks yet?

4 hours ago, drTStingray said:

The entire group was sessions players (Les playing on work by Chris Spedding for instance). According to wiki, Spedding used his usual white Gibson Flying V when playing (or miming in the case of TOTP) as part of the Wombles - maybe Les Hurdle had moved on to a Rickenbacker bass for this. Having been asked to write the initial song (which was very successful) and waived his fee, Batt had negotiated an arrangement whereby he could write more songs and he and the band make money from this - resulting in a stream of hits over several years. 

According to wiki, on one TOTP the band Steeleye Span donned the outfits as the proper band wasn’t available. 

So folks, this is what the average session musician and writer/producer (or famous folk rock group) might get up to (making money playing music as part of a sort of park keeper/rubbish collector furry creature franchise). Well I suppose Ringo narrated Thomas the Tank Engine, but somehow the roles played by the likes of Carol Kaye, Herbie Flowers (what a great, creative player he is) etc etc always seem more glamorous - I guess they’ve all had to play questionable music, but wonder if any of them performed in quite such silly outfits as this!!! 

Now badges - I believe I’m now on level 10 of 14 but only about 800 to go till my next level is achieved 😀

I’m expecting the odds are the site will be updated again and the ‘badges’ dropped before I reach the next level….. even if it’s not done for several years…. 

At least in an all enveloping costume you can make a t!t of yourself and no one can see your mush...

Steeleye Span .. didn't they do "All around my Arrse " ?

6 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

That's enough tittering at the back, thank you VERY much. If you don't pack it in I'll drag your titters up in front of everyone!

Do your worst.  My titters are already in tatters.  I have little to lose.

The Bottom Whine: # 13 CLEAVING TO CLEAVAGE

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

My eyesight is getting worse by the day. Is this thread about bagels or beagles? And why do they stink? I realise that just about all dogs can smell a bit off after a good roll in some other animals excrement, but why would a bagel smell? Does it depend on what they've been dunked in? Have I run out of question marks yet?

A cream cheese and salmon beigel left out in the sun for a bit....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Surely the beagle would eat the bagel before it started to go off?

Any self respecting dog would.. tho if it had gone off a bit they wouldn't care much and mulla it anyway.

Interestingly they've got all sorts of enzymes in the system to be able to eat carrion and other extreme nasties..

I agree with whoever said "this is getting like the DOI " :)

5 hours ago, snorkie635 said:

I joined Basschat almost nine and a half years ago and am now, according to the new 'improved' system, a 'rookie' with two watts!  Look forward to the next ten years, when I might make 'owns a bass' status. "Hard boiled eggs and nuts!"

1696340F-C7A0-4DDD-B4D4-F53E916FEC91.jpeg

Well I'm ranked as Proficient, which is generous at best as anyone who has heard my playing will attest.

51 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Any self respecting dog would.. tho if it had gone off a bit they wouldn't care much and mulla it anyway.

Interestingly they've got all sorts of enzymes in the system to be able to eat carrion and other extreme nasties..

I agree with whoever said "this is getting like the DOI " :)

Me   Me   Me  ................   !

😎

• Like 1