Why become a member? Ɨ

Badges! We don't need no stinking badges!

and 'Supporting Member'. What's all that about?Ā  There are plenty of people who think I am a 'member' without BC joining in the abuse. It's ridiculous and sounds like I'm congratulating myself for paying up to advertise. And these STUPID badges are against the whole spirit of BC, where newbies and experienced membersĀ  could chat without being ranked or being conscious of each other's 'status'.Ā  Please get rid.

Ā 

Edit: Just how stupid this is is shown by my having apparently earned a 'Great Content' badge for posting this!

Edited by lownote
  • Like 7
  • Haha 8

23 minutes ago, DaveFry said:

Yesterday my ā€œ badge ā€œ changed from the one that looks either like a lightbulb or a womanā€™s bottom with her knickers around her knees to the one that looks like either a coronavirus or a bolero . !

xD

Aw! No fair!

Ā 

I want the mooning woman badge too!

I can't even begin to explain how stupid all of this stuff is, and even if I could begin to explain it, you lot couldn't even begin to understand it.Ā šŸ˜
As @lownotealready began to explain, it also goes against the very spirit of BC.
Please get rid, if technically possible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DawnPatroller said:

I don't like them either. But yesterday my 'rank' badge upgraded to the next one up and I hadn't done anything!

Please get rid mods, they are very stupid.

Ā 

You're only saying that because you're just a lowly explorer. šŸ˜‚

Ā 

I like it! More badges please! šŸ˜

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
Spelling
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I just got Community Regular and Basschat Hero with the same post, and was very relieved it was a post about a bass that had earned me these precious trinkets, not some drivel on the Off Topic subforumĀ 

Oi! That's my favourite part! šŸ˜‚

Hi folks

Ā 

The 'Supporting Member' status is a function of the marketplace, which we can't avoid. Basically, ages ago we wrote our own code to allow the marketplatz to work, because Invision (who make the software) didn'tĀ have an out of the box solution. This took a long time, required a LOT of manual maintenance and constant monitoring, but it worked. Since ten, advancements have been made to the 'in house' system, which we are now able to slowly adopt (in parts) to take that strain out of the system. We can't use it fully yet as it doesn't allow some things like 'location' and so on but it does maintain and tidy up the database and renewals for us. To do that, users have to be moved into a different group. On top of that, the intention is to remove adverts one day if we can get more people to subscribe, and already it seems to be having a positive effect.Ā 

Ā 

The 'Rank' are a new system, designed to be a bit of fun. It seems like it kind of replaces, or enhances, the 'reaction' system with our 'watts' reputation system. We turned it on to give it a try and plan at some point to design better badges, but really, it's not to be taken seriously (like anything on BC?). The designs are the stock ones and we had a play with some different types, but haven't got round to doing anything with that yet whilst we sort other things.

Ā 

The 'Badges' are intertwined with the above, and to be honest I don't think they make a lot of sense, plus the badges are a bit ugly. Again, I wrote some random 'rules' yesterday that case a badge to be issued, and plan on either changing them or removing them, it does't really matter - I think they're aimed more at new users to encourage them to participate and make their first post, etc. Which at the end of the day is better for all of us. You're free to ignore them if you don't like them :)

Ā 

Cheers

ped

• Like 12

It reminds me of my very short time in Cubs (I was kicked out).

Ā 

ā€MAM, AV JUST GOT A ā€˜MAKING TOASTā€™ BADGE, CAN YER SEW IT ON ME JUMPOH?ā€

Ā 

Ah well.Ā 
Ā 

I had some snarky comment to make, but I canā€™t be bothered.

Ā 

I want actual badges in an envelope so I can sewĀ them on my jumperā€¦or strap. People will know Iā€™m cool then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

It reminds me of my very short time in Cubs (I was kicked out).

Ā 

ā€MAM, AV JUST GOT A ā€˜MAKING TOASTā€™ BADGE, CAN YER SEW IT ON ME JUMPOH?ā€

Ā 

Ah well.Ā 
Ā 

I had some snarky comment to make, but I canā€™t be bothered.

Ā 

I want actual badges in an envelope so I can sewĀ them on my jumperā€¦or strap. People will know Iā€™m cool then.

I lasted about 2 weeks in the cubs too, nowadays we're probably both sociopaths or something :)

• Haha 2