Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands - Soundalike vs Lookalike

Nibody

4 hours ago, EssentialTension said:

I think bassist in OMD plays right-handed but upside down, having learned on a lefty flipped over.

As here ...

OMD-08222019-2894.jpg

Now that's something I never realised...and I watched all those videos ad infinitum back in the day... I'd also have said he was a (Jetglo) Rick player, and he was for a short while (I think 2 TOTP performances, but they were what counted in those days), but then went back Jazzes...

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

Noooo....that's strung the right way up - it's not a right handed Strat just turned over...the pics of Messrs Dale and King shows the 'sounds right, looks wrong' stringing...

Here’s his torched Strat, played upside down with standard string configuration.

672A04E0-FAFE-42E3-BE43-F1A7CA82B8F2.jpeg

9 minutes ago, steantval said:

Here’s his torched Strat, played upside down with standard string configuration.

672A04E0-FAFE-42E3-BE43-F1A7CA82B8F2.jpeg

This was then owned by another guitarist who played it right handed.

was this the one Dweezel Zappa had for a bit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Jimmy Haslip of the Yellowjackets and other bands,  is another ‘skinny strings up’ IIRC.

once saw a Rolling Stones covers band where both guitarist's were left handed but played right handed guitars flipped without swapping the strings round, apparently one taught the other, they said some chords are easier some more difficult.

I think Rick Wakelin of the Beat played with the string the 'wrong' way round, I assume these lefties start playing on someone else's right handed guitar and can't change the strings round

EAD62B70-56FF-4525-A631-7AC2B5F30094.jpeg.aeec701e32bcfcea6f70b9c758f7d69a.jpeg

Could you imagine trying to roadie for Atheist back in the day? They had a right handed bass, strung normally, but two lefty guitarists, Schaeffer on the left strung his guitar in the standard fashion with the bass strings on top but Burkey, with the V, had the bass strings on the treble side.

Edited by Doctor J

On 28/07/2021 at 11:29, police squad said:

on my list of things to do actually. I was going to buy a left hand hofner and try it.

Would be a very visual thing to switch at a gig

being a lefty I found (seriously) a right handed Encore P copy leaning next to the bin at a flat I rented out when the tenant left, thought I'll have a go at playing right handed, I soon gave up, still got the Encore, it's not that  bad a bass, for free

• Like 1

I'm an upside downer. My forum name is a massive clue.

upside.jpg

Our old singer wanted to do a Ramones tribute act. We'd have had to be soundalike only as he was somewhat more rotund than Joey Ramone.

Edited by upside downer

58 minutes ago, ubit said:

Or sing!.......Or avoid being an annoying twatt!

must admit he went up in my estimation with his rant at Rebellion 2015, telling all the punks they were just wearing the punk uniform of black band T shirts and leather jackets, and they booed him, forgetting entirely that punk is about not conforming, in the beginning anyway

On 26/07/2021 at 04:02, Lozz196 said:

If it can’t be both (providing image essential as you say) then sound. If I’m going to see, let’s say an AC/DC tribute I don’t really care what they look like, I just want to hear those songs being played well. So what if the lead guitarist is in jeans instead of a schoolboy outfit, as long as he nails those solos all is well in the world.

I think an AC/DC tribute without a 'schoolboy' lead guitarist is just a cover band that plays a lot of AC/DC. If you aren't going to play dress up you aren't giving any sort of tribute to your idols.

• Like 1