Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands - Soundalike vs Lookalike

Nibody

15 minutes ago, ubit said:

I am friendly with a guy who plays guitar in an Ozzy tribute band. I went to see them a few years ago and when they started I exclaimed to Mrs Ubit "That IS  Ozzy up there!" The guy had the look, voice and most importantly, the mannerisms of Ozzy. They were great. There was a Thin Lizzy tribute on the bill as well who were note perfect but didn't bother trying to look anything like Lizzy. I preferred watching the Ozzy band as they made me smile and looked like they were enjoying themselves onstage. At the end of the day any band playing is entertainment. You pay to be entertained. Playing a thousand notes a minute whilst staring at the floor might do it for some but the whole visual package is what I like.

Bit of a problem in that you need to have some of the basics on place naturally - height, build, hair, colour before you can add the costume/styling. I have a friend who luckily has these in place for his Prince tribute. He is also an amazing guitarist and does a great job of replicating Prince's vocals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mykesbass said:

Bit of a problem in that you need to have some of the basics on place naturally - height, build, hair, colour before you can add the costume/styling.

Ive often thought this. If you are into being a musician and you find that you like a particular band much more than any other and people say "by the way, you look like so and so" you might think " maybe I could do a tribute kinda thing. If you look nothing like said person, just be in a band.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ubit said:

Ive often thought this. If you are into being a musician and you find that you like a particular band much more than any other and people say "by the way, you look like so and so" you might think " maybe I could do a tribute kinda thing. If you look nothing like said person, just be in a band.

Especially artists that sing and play an instrument!

16 hours ago, steantval said:

Voyager - American Journey Tribute band.

These guys are superb musically and their vocalist looks and sounds just like Steve Perry.

Really good that but what annoys me is that I can't quite make my mind up if that's a real stone wall behind the singer or if its a faux fireplace.🤔

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

... After all if it was just the music I was interested in I could stay at home and listen to the recordings.

Indeed. I just stay at home and listen to recordings. I'd try getting out of my armchair if a Grateful Dead tribute came playing within a 5km radius, but I can't think of any other magnet strong enough to have me tempt fate further. I'd add that, for the purposes of the poll above ^^, I've never assisted at any tribute band concert, ever. :|

I play in a Magnum tribute that makes no attempt at all to look like the original band. We do get the sound pretty close, but there is no attempt to play things like solos, etc note for note. However, a lot of Magnum fans like us and we have got positive feedback from the main band. 

I think that the main thing is to capture the spirit of the band you are doing the tribute to.  

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

Just now, peteb said:

I play in a Magnum tribute that makes no attempt at all to look like the original band. We do get the sound pretty close, but there is no attempt to play things like solos, etc not for note. However, a lot of Magnum fans like us and we have got positive feedback from the main band. 

I think that the main thing is to capture the spirit of the band you are doing the tribute to.  

Fair play to you doing that mate. I have loved Magnum for most of my life and have seen them so many times. Keep it up bud!

12 minutes ago, ubit said:

Fair play to you doing that mate. I have loved Magnum for most of my life and have seen them so many times. Keep it up bud!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what's happening with the tribute. There are a couple of related projects (same or similar personnel) that have taken precedent recently and a key member has left. We will see what happens when we reconvene next year.

If you’re interested, check out our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/storytellersnight or the website https://www.storytellers-night.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR08AUqjH33KQ5QXWf2uYW5bStYhT41cAS67N8CC9-gBmjvoB-2IKaHrsQk

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, peteb said:

I play in a Magnum tribute that makes no attempt at all to look like the original band. We do get the sound pretty close, but there is no attempt to play things like solos, etc note for note. However, a lot of Magnum fans like us and we have got positive feedback from the main band. 

Any band that does Magnum material well is good enough for me to go to a gig. 

Not a huge fan of their modern material but loved the older albums.

Is there anyone in Magnum that is particularly noticeable ?

I met them once when i was helping them load into our local gig and all pretty normal looking. A bit aloof to be honest except for Mark Stanway on keys who was very chatty with us.

It kinda put me off the band after that. That was early to mid 80's. 

I'd still go see a tribute to them.

Dave

8 hours ago, peteb said:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what's happening with the tribute. There are a couple of related projects (same or similar personnel) that have taken precedent recently and a key member has left. We will see what happens when we reconvene next year.

If you’re interested, check out our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/storytellersnight or the website https://www.storytellers-night.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR08AUqjH33KQ5QXWf2uYW5bStYhT41cAS67N8CC9-gBmjvoB-2IKaHrsQk

Just watched that and altho not look-a-likes the band looks good on stage to me. Enjoyed that and if up my way i'll make an effort to come see you.

Dave

• Like 1

Some years ago i was in a Sterophonics tribute band. We made sure we nailed the songs. We didn't make an attempt to look like them. I did get a second hand P bass instead of using my pointy Charvel. Our singer was Welsh which helped with the sound inbetween songs. 

Edited by mep
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, pete.young said:

So what do we think of Beatles tribute bands with right-handed bass players?

It's the ones that don't replace their bass player with a doppelganger after the original one dies just as they get really big that are taking the p!ss.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Any band that does Magnum material well is good enough for me to go to a gig. 

Not a huge fan of their modern material but loved the older albums.

Is there anyone in Magnum that is particularly noticeable ?

I met them once when i was helping them load into our local gig and all pretty normal looking. A bit aloof to be honest except for Mark Stanway on keys who was very chatty with us.

It kinda put me off the band after that. That was early to mid 80's. 

I'd still go see a tribute to them.

Dave

16 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just watched that and altho not look-a-likes the band looks good on stage to me. Enjoyed that and if up my way i'll make an effort to come see you.

Dave

Funnily enough, they seem to be pretty popular with everyone who’s worked with them. We (at least the Escape original band incarnation) were in a studio near Wolves a couple of weeks ago and the girl running the place was talking about how Magnum record / rehearse there and that she would tell Tony Clarkin that we had been when he was due in the following week. Certainly, Tony has been positive when talking about us and they sent one of their crew to say hello / check us out at an early rehearsal and then worked with us to make sure that our artwork wouldn’t have any potential copyright issues. I can’t fault them for that.

We were supposed to play a bike rally somewhere near you last year before the first lockdown hit us. If the band is still going next year, I will let you know if we make up there!

I feel that I should chime in here as a tribute thingy myself.

Of course the music has to be good and sound like the band but in the case of the Police, they sounded rockier live than the records and a bit different depending on the era of their live shows.

It has been said that I look a bit like Sting, so that does actually add to the show.

I've also studied how he moves on stage and was given the greatest compliment by Billy Kulke (Letz Zep) when he said, you've really nailed that Sting thing.

We use the correct instruments (replicas) and I always try to wear an appropriate outfit, depending on what bass I'm using.

I saw Wrong Jovi and they did the lookalike thing really well, Ritchie was a touch short but musically they were spot on.

Horses for courses of course but the punters do like to see a look a like (I think they do)

• Like 4

On 27/07/2021 at 11:00, pete.young said:

So what do we think of Beatles tribute bands with right-handed bass players?

The guy in the Bootleg Beatles tought himself to play lefthanded, when he arually played guitar righthanded, respect

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, police squad said:

on my list of things to do actually. I was going to buy a left hand hofner and try it.

Would be a very visual thing to switch at a gig

Nice one Mart !  You're a braver man than me by far :)

that said, I'm "very right handed" I'm useless trying to do stuff left handed, we're all different and some people are more ambidextrous.

like you say, switching over at a gig would be very cool indeed ! 👍

28 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Nice one Mart !  You're a braver man than me by far :)

that said, I'm "very right handed" I'm useless trying to do stuff left handed, we're all different and some people are more ambidextrous.

like you say, switching over at a gig would be very cool indeed ! 👍

Cheers Pete

I'm very right handed too but, for a laugh, it would be interesting. 

We know all the notes, so we're half way there.

I fancy a Harley Benton PB shorty. £75 plus 8 quid delivery, can't really go wrong

Then join a covers band that playes beatles songs and a lefty Hofner!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, police squad said:

Cheers Pete

I'm very right handed too but, for a laugh, it would be interesting. 

We know all the notes, so we're half way there.

I fancy a Harley Benton PB shorty. £75 plus 8 quid delivery, can't really go wrong

Then join a covers band that playes beatles songs and a lefty Hofner!!

Can't argue with that for under 100 quid can you.. You might need to budget for a P Mc C. wig tho.. ;)

• Like 1

I did the whole tribute act thing in my 20s - it was hard work, but great fun.

'Twas a Queen act, aided massively by our singer looking (and sounding) uncannily like Freddie, and our drummer having the same hair as Prof. Brian May. As the bassist I wore shorts and a T-shirt, a la Wembley '86, but TBF, all of the attention is on Freddie, so it really didn't matter what we looked like.

I think if the band has an iconic look (Angus, Freddie, Lemmy etc...) then I think it's only fair that you try to emulate that, but the sound has to come first.

• Like 4