Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands - Soundalike vs Lookalike

Nibody

I kind of feel the same way about people who want an exact replica of the particular musicians instrument and will pay a fortune to have every little scratch and blemish added to look at much as possible as the original instrument. 

Unless your going to go the whole hog and have plastic surgery yourself, it seems utterly pointless to me. 

Sounding at least passably like the band you're a tribute to is fine as far as I'm concerned. 

I took some mates to see our very own Cetera's Kiss tribute band many moons ago. Awesome full on show - blood, fire breathing, pyro - and the Paul Stanley character couldn't have sounded more like Paul Stanley without actually being Paul Stanley.

Contrast that with a Coldplay tribute I saw, whose biggest cheer came during an encore when they did a cover of 'I believe in a thing call love' by The Darkness. True story...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Well Cliff did use a few different basses, seen him with Stingrays and Precisions (always seem to be his favoured sunburst/maple tho).

When EBMM released that replica Cliff Williams Stingray recently, one of the 30 made was bought by the bassist in a leading US tribute band. He was very happy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I took some mates to see our very own Cetera's Kiss tribute band many moons ago. Awesome full on show - blood, fire breathing, pyro - and the Paul Stanley character couldn't have sounded more like Paul Stanley without actually being Paul Stanley.

Contrast that with a Coldplay tribute I saw, whose biggest cheer came during an encore when they did a cover of 'I believe in a thing call love' by The Darkness. True story...

Saw Cetera a few times in Dressed to Kill and it was like watching the real thing. Cetera being quite tall add the authentic Simmons boots and standing next to him you have quite a scary character. My wife had pics taken with the band but Cetera was the star attraction for me. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

49 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Saw Cetera a few times in Dressed to Kill and it was like watching the real thing. Cetera being quite tall add the authentic Simmons boots and standing next to him you have quite a scary character. My wife had pics taken with the band but Cetera was the star attraction for me. 

Awwww, bless you, lovely chaps! It took a lot of time, money, effort and insurances to do our shows.... and that's because there are no half-measures with KISS! lol!

For me there is a distinction between tribute bands and cover bands. A tribute band nails the music but also makes a solid attempt/effort when it comes to looks and/or production. With a more non-descript visual band like Coldplay you need to at least make an effort with production values as they have no real image to speak of.

A cover band simply plays the music. However, if they absolutely nail the music/sound/vibe then imho they have a right to bill themselves as 'A tribute to the music of (insert artist)'. I played for a short time in an incredibly musically accurate show called 'Rock Anthems: Live And Dangerous - A tribute to the music of Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy'. Not being a man of Brazilian/Irish extraction and having blond/fair hair I obviously didn't look the part but I made an effort with the mirrorguard black P bass and tone. We were rewarded with the late Philomena Lynott telling us that we were the most accurate 'musical' tribute to her Son and band that she had ever heard....

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, cetera said:

Awwww, bless you, lovely chaps! It took a lot of time, money, effort and insurances to do our shows.... and that's because there are no half-measures with KISS! lol!

For me there is a distinction between tribute bands and cover bands. A tribute band nails the music but also makes a solid attempt/effort when it comes to looks and/or production. With a more non-descript visual band like Coldplay you need to at least make an effort with production values as they have no real image to speak of.

A cover band simply plays the music. However, if they absolutely nail the music/sound/vibe then imho they have a right to bill themselves as 'A tribute to the music of (insert artist)'. I played for a short time in an incredibly musically accurate show called 'Rock Anthems: Live And Dangerous - A tribute to the music of Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy'. Not being a man of Brazilian/Irish extraction and having blond/fair hair I obviously didn't look the part but I made an effort with the mirrorguard black P bass and tone. We were rewarded with the late Philomena Lynott telling us that we were the most accurate 'musical' tribute to her Son and band that she had ever heard....

I believe your current band is a tribute to rock Anthems. There's no specific look-a-likes in the band but the music is perfect and it looks like a good show to watch based on the youtube clips i've seen.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Pretty good timing, this one, as I was at Festwich yesterday, a two-stage Tribute band festival. Sound is always the most important, but if you're gonna go out as a tribute act then at least try to look the part, too, especially if there's iconic looks in the band (the Kings Of Leon boys, say, had a much easier job than the Queen lot - can anyone remember what the Kings of Leon look like from 40 yards away?)...there were mixed results on that front yesterday, one thing that did kinda rankle were the trio band tributes with four or even five members...oh, and putting on my IBM hat, the bassist from the (otherwise very good) New Order trib had the wrong bass slung at least a foot too high...

One of the best tribs out there for sound and looks is Motorheadache (one of the guitarists I'm in a band with sometimes deps as Fast Eddie) - the bloke doing Lemmy IS Lemmy from about 30ft away... 🙂

image.png.22717c905335908476752f80f7c87d44.png

Extra points for Murder One in the background, even more extra points for stick-on warts... 😁

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Pretty good timing, this one, as I was at Festwich yesterday, a two-stage Tribute band festival. Sound is always the most important, but if you're gonna go out as a tribute act then at least try to look the part, too, especially if there's iconic looks in the band (the Kings Of Leon boys, say, had a much easier job than the Queen lot - can anyone remember what the Kings of Leon look like from 40 yards away?)...there were mixed results on that front yesterday, one thing that did kinda rankle were the trio band tributes with four or even five members...oh, and putting on my IBM hat, the bassist from the (otherwise very good) New Order trib had the wrong bass slung at least a foot too high...

One of the best tribs out there for sound and looks is Motorheadache (one of the guitarists I'm in a band with sometimes deps as Fast Eddie) - the bloke doing Lemmy IS Lemmy from about 30ft away... 🙂

TBF a lot of 'trio bands' use extra touring members.

Just now, AndyTravis said:

I want to be in a tribute band.

there. I said it.

I want to dress up and play bass…

I used to be like you Andy but i took the plunge and went for it. 

Best fun you'll ever have in a band.

68574677_10156630949528613_3823327647211978752_n.thumb.jpg.d8be507930316ced8d530e0d54fc534b.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I want to be in a tribute band.

there. I said it.

I want to dress up and play bass…

Just now, Waddo Soqable said:

Play bass..in a dress.??

Manic Street Preachers tribute band then?

• Like 3

Interesting. I saw an ACDC tribute where Angus and Bon were dressed the part but the bassist looked like he'd just finished his shift driving a lorry for John Smiths. It has to be all or nothing otherwise the bass player which let's face it is not the focus of an ACDC tribute became a massive distraction. 

My covers/ functions band has a dress code even for pub gigs. I've got an 80s band starting up and I've been picking up 80s style clothes, a few 80s basses and even a Trace Elliot amp... Who will really care that my Aria is from 1984....?

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I was being genuine. I spent all day at a tribute festival yesterday. I want to do it.

Seriously great fun. Took a bit of practice walking on platform boots again. 

It's like having a 70's Glam Rock party night every time you play.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1