Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR300e

Peloquin

I'm looking at getting my first bass. So far I've been using a mates Tanglewood Warrior II and I absolutely love it. 

I've been messing about on it for a about 6 months or so but 4 weeks ago had my first lesson. Had one every week and decided it's time I got my own instrument. I want a decent one and mate doesn't want to sell the Warrior so I'm looking around online.

The Ibanez has caught my eye so I'm wondering what the thoughts on it are on here. 

I can't find a warrior 11 for sale otherwise I'd probably go for that. 

Would the sr300e be a good first bass that will last and still be good enough when (if) I improve my playing?

Is there anything else to look at in shops for around the £300 area?

Thanks in advance.

Just a random overview of the model. I don't really care what shop it's from but I want to actually need about with one before I buy....

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-SR300E-Sky-Veil-Matte/3N7R

Have a look at the Yamaha TRBX 304 which is in the same ballpark or for a P/J bass the BB 234, a great passive bass. Nothing wrong with the Ibby though. There are also some new Squier Affinity`s out at around £230 that are nice.

Really you need to get to a big shop like a Guitarguitar and try some out if you are near one. You are lucky as at your price point there are so many great options, you just need to have a play and see what suits you.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the fretless version of this bass which I bought because I wanted a cheapish fretless to mess around on. It’s well made and because it’s active with two pickups there are lots of tonal possibilities. It’s better than a lower-end squier I would say and should be a perfectly good instrument to get started on. The neck is quite narrow which makes it easy to get around. However this feels totally different to a Fender which is more old-school in feel. It’s horses for courses though and I’m not familiar with the bass you’ve been practicing with so it’s probably best to get your hands on one first to see how it compares to what you’re used to. 

• Thanks 1

If you can find one, the Bass Collection Nanyo SGC basses are a good buy in your budget. Very playable - great tones on the PJ (not so much on the JJ), nice necks, very well built. 

They are a bit 1980s but great basses all the same

20190702_181313.jpg

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

I likes Ibanez... I have 2 GSR200, and a SR600

The SR is a classic, necks are luverly, narrow 38mm Shallow front to back, Super comfy worn pebble body... Versatile Humbuckers...

But recommend pickin up a few and trying before ya buy... I started in lockdown, so just ordered the GSR200 Gio off the net.

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/sr300e_02.html

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/sr300eb_02.html

Or if ya like something a little Rocky n different... lot of love for Harley Benton as a brand...

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_marquess_4_black_stain.htm?o=39&search=1627228773

and then there is the Ibby RGB or a Charvel Jackson...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Thanks 1

An SR300 will be a great first bass (if you get on with the very thin neck), and should do you for a long time.

What's worth knowing though, is that for some reason Ibby SRs don't hold their value particularly well. This not only means that a used SR300 can be had for a lot less than new price, but also the various higher-end models are sometimes stupidly cheap - so it might be worth keeping an eye on Ebay & the Basses For Sale section right here.

Re: the 34" scale - that's broadly standard for most basses & the Tanglewood Warrior you've been using is almost certainly 34".

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

An SR300 will be a great first bass (if you get on with the very thin neck), and should do you for a long time.

What's worth knowing though, is that for some reason Ibby SRs don't hold their value particularly well. This not only means that a used SR300 can be had for a lot less than new price, but also the various higher-end models are sometimes stupidly cheap - so it might be worth keeping an eye on Ebay & the Basses For Sale section right here.

Re: the 34" scale - that's broadly standard for most basses & the Tanglewood Warrior you've been using is almost certainly 34".

^ This. Everything @Bassassin says here is spot on. If you do like the thin neck then do look around for a higher level secondhand Ibby as there are bargains to be had. That's not to say the 300 is in anyway a poor choice.

• Thanks 1

When I was shopping a year ago, it had to be either an SR or a TRBX.

After lots of practising, I decided the sound wasn't right for me, and discovered that I had developed sufficient strength and flexibility in my left hand to manage thicker necks.

Had I gone for the SR, I could have given it away and lost £300. As it is, making a £300 loss selling the TRBX is taking time and effort.

• Thanks 1

You've played one bass for a while which gives you a good starting reference, or should I say baseline? 🙂, for what you like. If you can get to a big music shop and try a bunch in your price range you'll get an idea if you prefer how others feel.. you might love the Ibby skinny neck but equally might find it too skinny and uncomfortable compared to what you're used to, don't know until you try! An afternoon playing around in a music shop is also good fun although can be expensive.

I think I'd try and hunt out a second hand Yamaha BB414 or BB424. Great sounding, well made basses, middle of the road-ish on neck size etc and if you want to move it on I doubt you'd lose much if any on it. Good luck hunting.    

• Thanks 1

The Ibanez SR is a great bass, very comfortable to play, good sound. I had one, and was probably the easiest bass to play that I've owned. However, as @Bassassin pointed out, their value plummets like a stone.

Having never played one of the Tanglewoods that you're currently using, I've only seen photos of them online, the neck looks quite chunky...I may be wrong. The Ibanez neck would feel very different if the Tanglewood is a bit on the chunky side, and it might be best to try one before committing.

• Thanks 1

I'd second trying to play a few different options now that you've made a start playing bass. You'll have an idea for what might fit your hands and trying different necks/pickups might reveal something tonally you haven't thought about.

I reckon that the best bass for you right now is the one that makes you want to pick it up whenever you look at it and feels good in your hands, whether that be the Ibanez, some P Bass or a Bootsy bass!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1