Why become a member? ×

Reccommenddattions for light but not silly expensive cabs.

Stub Mandrel

21 hours ago, Hellzero said:

The AeroTech (AT) amps, combos and cabinets series by GR Bass are stupidly light.

Why not opting for one their 12 inches Cube combos rated at 350, 500 or 800 Watts, all only weighting only 9.5 kilos (AT)...

Or even their standard Cube 800 weighting 13 kilos, cheaper and not heavy at all.

Check our @Dood trying the Cube 800 :

Ed Friedland is using their 2x8 AT (AT208 in 4 Ohms) cabinet coupled to a GR Bass One 350 (the Mini head is the "light" version of it) with great delight . Check it here :

It's all in your money bracket and BassDirect is selling them.

Well if BD are selling them I won't bother.

Just now, Chienmortbb said:

I have never bought from them but the attitude of one member of staff was not what I expect and made me question their "advice".

Oh, ok.  Poor customer service can leave nasty taste in your mouth.  I've never been there but they seem to be thought of quite highly on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

To be fair that is a silly remark. I would not buy from BD and I prefer to make my own cabs.

I've stil and the home nade onel got a 2x12 I made myself. Twin Mackenzies I was given in the early 90s. Made it the ssme size as an ancient Pheonix cab with 2x12 celedtions in. I still have them both. Lacking data on the drivers I made a port for it in 2019, and experimented with length to get the low e as loud as possible while feeding it ftom an amp and sig gen. Probably crap by all sensible measures, but i gigged the two cabs for years and the home made one on its own late 2019.

• Stub Mandrel changed the title to Reccommenddattions for light but not silly expensive cabs.
On 26/07/2021 at 22:21, BillyBass said:

Oh, ok.  Poor customer service can leave nasty taste in your mouth.  I've never been there but they seem to be thought of quite highly on here.

I have bought from them on a couple of occasions and found their service to be very good. I visited by train once (cheaper than the car with my old git's railcard) and it started to p1ss down whilst I was there, so Mark gave me a lift to the station (unasked) with my new toy. Can't say fairer than that. If you go on a Saturday when they are busy, they may not be able to roll out the red carpet, but you can't really blame them for that.

• Like 2

After humping my heavy cabs around in 40 degrees yesterday, I've also been thinking about a lightweight rig. 

I've just come across these TC Electronic 2x8's on Thomann. 200 watts each at 8 ohms. 

They way in at a mere 10.4kg and Only cost 185 Euros (don't know how that would translate no Brexit pounds)

That seems to tick plenty of boxes for me. 

https://www.thomann.de/intl/tc_electronic_bc208_bass_cab.htm?i11l=en_GB%3ABG.EUR

Used the GR cab in anger for the first time today, rehearsing with a new band.

As my Orange Terror hasn't arrived, I used my ancient (~1983) 150W Laney Probass. It has very complex sound shaping, I just lifted the low end very slightly and a small low-Q boost on the parametric at 400Hz. In the past, this amp has never had any particularly great praise, but today the guys couldn't stop praising the sound I was getting. Full, rich, lows, harmonics bell-like, great clarity for sounds up at the dusty end.

I am expecting it to sound utterly mindblowing with the Bass Terror.

• Like 3

On 31/07/2021 at 14:07, Stub Mandrel said:

I finally made my choice, GR AT 212 Slim 27lbs, 4R, 103dB, 800W and broke my budget... 🙄

Right, I am going to have to adjust my understanding of “silly expensive” but congratulations, I’ve heard they are great cabs. Reading ahead to your later posts, I bet it will sound fantastic with the Orange Terror on top. What a rig! I’m not jealous 🤣🤣.

• Haha 1