Why become a member? ×

Stingray neck on a P body?

GingeTheFloof

Hey all, hope you're all well and are doing okay despite the pandemic.

With the lockdown being as it is, I've been very bored so I had decided a couple of months ago to start my first build project, I had initially decided on a stingray bass. I purchased a Status Graphite neck as I love the feel of the graphite necks on the Modulus basses and I wonder if it would be viable to fit it to a P bass body (I love the Sandberg VM pickup setup) Has anyone had experience with this kind of build? If so, what do I need look out for?

I imagine the the intonation wouldn't be quite right and I'd probably need to make the neck pocket deeper  any advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

from the site it reads that the heal is the same at 2.5" but the F PnJ necks are 20 fret and the MM 22 fret... and i dont think the extra fret is on an overhang so you will need to lengthen the neck pocket... Dunno if that might be an issue as on a bit of a taper?

Are you making the body? I got a P Body from Luthiers Warehouse, ('bay then deal direct...) Rick was real helpful in what i was after, holes and the like... might be able to do a neck pocket same dimensions but just moved the 21st's fret amount in to keep the bridge in the same place? You might be able to get the dimensions nut to heel of both necks from Status?

https://manchesterguitartech.co.uk/fret-and-nut-calculators/fret-calculator/

20F

18 18.16 558.27
19 17.14 575.41
20 16.17 591.58

21F

18 18.16 558.27
19 17.14 575.41
20 16.17 591.58
21 15.27 606.85

So 15mm further in to the neck pocket (Std is 99mm, 115mm? - any 'odd' can be sorted in the intonation adjust...

Edited by PaulThePlug