Why become a member? ×

Why We Test

Happy Jack

First proper, full-fat, indoor gig for many months tomorrow, real money and everything, so we set up the entire rig to check everything.

My favourite instrument lead no longer works, after 10 straight years. No known reason, no warning.

The Line 6 wireless keeps dropping signal. Half an hour of testing reveals that there's interference from the XR18 router. Moving to another channel cures it.

The pub is a small one so I'll be playing my Kolstein Busetto with a Schaller mag pickup. The Line 6 won't work with it. Half an hour of testing reveals that I have two leads for the wireless transmitter. One works with all my basses. The other works with all my basses except the Kolstein.

I experiment with my other wireless system on the electric bass I'll be using (it's a doubling gig), a bass with a piezo pickup. The room fills with the sound of the world's biggest, angriest mosquito. If I want to use both channels on my AI Clarus, I won't be using wireless then.

Now in limp dishrag mode.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gjones said:

Have you ever mimed your way through a gig before? :)

I did once. It was a massive shed we were playing in with extension leads coming out of the farm house next to it. Stank of cows and whatever cows produce. Upshot is the electrics were terrible. My Ampeg valve amp kept cutting out. It would be on for about 10 seconds and then off for about ten seconds. I am also the singer so had to carry on with this for the whole first half. There would be bass, then no bass. When we took our break I switched to going direct into the mixer. Then these people started coming up and saying how great we were and could we play at this that and the other. I was gobsmacked! It just goes to show that we put all this time and effort into getting the most amazing sound and when you play in front of drunken party goers, as long as they hear the beat and the vocal they are happy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A friend of mine forgot to get out of standby on his Marshall Lead Bass for a complete concert. Apparently, we were only a very few to notice it and to tell him after the gig. The usual drunk punters were coming to tell him his playing was excellent...  🤣

Edited by Hellzero
Phrasing
  • Haha 1