Why become a member? ×

Difficulties agreeing on rehearsal precautions

Stylon Pilson

In one of my bands, the drummer announced (at the last minute) that he would only enter the rehearsal space if the other band members could show that they had a satisfactory, recent, lateral flow test. 

I said I had no interest in being told what to do, and he should contact us again when he was ready to rehearse.

He was perfectly OK about my response and waited until he was double-jabbed before calling. 

• Like 1

We just waited until we were all comfortable. The main driver was the drummer, as he has Crohn’s disease he’s on immuno-suppressants so has to be more careful, once he was ready to go so were we. With this rotten pandemic everyone has different situations, be they medical, family, work etc, and I think Jack’s reaction is the best, when all are ready resume, no putting conditions in.

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Nothing wrong with a precautionary lateral flow test - takes two minutes and helps everyone to relax more whilst rehearsing. 

But everything wrong with imposing one's views on others, especially just 24 hours before the rehearsal. 

Anyone who has reason to be worried about Covid should be avoiding unnecessary contact, not making extra rules for others to follow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

But everything wrong with imposing one's views on others, especially just 24 hours before the rehearsal. 

Anyone who has reason to be worried about Covid should be avoiding unnecessary contact, not making extra rules for others to follow.

It's a test that takes two minutes to do... what's wrong with trying to be safer? 

• Like 7

Just now, Supernaut said:

It's a test that takes two minutes to do... what's wrong with trying to be safer? 

Even quicker would be for me to ban all my bandmates from smoking. I'd save them all time and money, we'd all be much healthier, and - best of all - I'd be making other people do what I want.

I'm sure they'd all thank me. No, really ...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Happy Jack said:

Even quicker would be for me to ban all my bandmates from smoking. I'd save them all time and money, we'd all be much healthier, and - best of all - I'd be making other people do what I want.

You sound like an anti masker to me. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

There isn’t a global pandemic of second hand smoke though Jack, give your head a wobble - I think asking for proof of a negative lateral flow test isn’t unreasonable; they’re free and take a couple of minutes.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Asking is reasonable, as is refusing.

Demanding is a little bit different. 

It’s how you go about things, for sure. For instance: “play it like this” vs “have you thought of playing it like this?”

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

It’s how you go about things, for sure. For instance: “play it like this” vs “have you thought of playing it like this?”

In a rehearsal session it's important to give one's band members a choice when it comes to interpretation.

"Play it the way I said or I'll kill you where you stand. Your choice'.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Is anyone running into problems when trying to get back into the rehearsal room, with respect to different band members' attitudes to risk? How have you solved these conflicts?

S.P.

Yup.

Two out of a 6-piece band.

As a result the band is on hold and unlikely to be active this year, if ever.

Other bands are being formed/rearranged. You can't force people to do something they don't want to do, especially if there are health reasons involved, and discussions are not comfortable our of fear to be seen as putting pressure. With this particular band I said "call me when you're ready, I am and will be interested whenever". In another band a member has been replaced. 

Weird times.

• Like 1

I was probably the one who was most reluctant to get back rehearsing in a small, stuffy room. 

Not because of my fear of covid (I've already had it and have had my 2 jabs) but because of our drummer who is vulnerable but too gung ho for his own good.

I've already rehearsed with band no 1, this is band no 2.

Rules have relaxed now and I've booked a date and we'll be rehearsing in a couple of weeks.

Edited by gjones

10 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

In one of my bands, the drummer announced (at the last minute) that he would only enter the rehearsal space if the other band members could show that they had a satisfactory, recent, lateral flow test. 

I said I had no interest in being told what to do, and he should contact us again when he was ready to rehearse.

He was perfectly OK about my response and waited until he was double-jabbed before calling. 

Love it

Myself and some old band mates are trying to start a new band. Unfortunately there's been quite an outbreak of Covid in our, albeit small, town. Our drummer is very hesitant about rehearsing indoors as his partner is pregnant and he doesn't want her catching it. That's fine and totally reasonable, we'll be patient and wait. If we can find an outdoor space then we'll use that, not easy to find though. I've had both jabs, but as I said to him, that didn't stop me getting or paying on Covid. So we are where we are, I'm not one of those desperate musos that would play at the opening of an envelope.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2021 at 14:35, Happy Jack said:

He wasn't though, was he, if your account is correct? He was just saying that he wouldn't be attending if you didn't have a test, not telling you that you must have one. Seems perfectly reasonable and sensible to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Earbrass said:

He wasn't though, was he, if your account is correct? He was just saying that he wouldn't be attending if you didn't have a test, not telling you that you must have one. Seems perfectly reasonable and sensible to me.

My account is correct, but perhaps it is not clear enough?

The drummer suddenly announced that he expected the rest of the band to turn up the next day ready to prove - to him - that we were all 'clean'.

I pointed out that, since he was the one with the problem (the other three of us were fine), it would make more sense for us to re-start rehearsals once he no longer had a problem. He was noticeably less fussed by my response that some Basschatters seem to be. Being vicariously offended is a wonderful stance, isn't it? So convenient, and so totally without responsibility.

Anyway, there seems to be some confusion about this amongst my fellow Basschatters. The drummer in question is a really nice guy, I enjoy playing with him, and I hope to continue to do so. I don't think I have anywhere in this thread suggested that he should not be allowed to hold whatever views are most appropriate to him, and I recognize that - in his opinion - his views are reasonable and sensible.

Still with me? Good.

What the opinionated and entitled amongst us seem to forget is that there is a flip side to this, which is that I am equally entitled to hold whatever views are most appropriate to me, and they should recognize that - in my opinion - my views are reasonable and sensible. 

We've already had one arrogant clown accusing me of being an anti-vaxer - this from a silly billy I've never met, who knows the square root of bugger all about me - apparently for the heinous crimes of not holding the same opinions as him, and of not taking orders from other band members. Let's not go any further down that cess-pit, OK?

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

My account is correct, but perhaps it is not clear enough?

The drummer suddenly announced that he expected the rest of the band to turn up the next day ready to prove - to him - that we were all 'clean'.

I pointed out that, since he was the one with the problem (the other three of us were fine), it would make more sense for us to re-start rehearsals once he no longer had a problem. He was noticeably less fussed by my response that some Basschatters seem to be. Being vicariously offended is a wonderful stance, isn't it? So convenient, and so totally without responsibility.

Anyway, there seems to be some confusion about this amongst my fellow Basschatters. The drummer in question is a really nice guy, I enjoy playing with him, and I hope to continue to do so. I don't think I have anywhere in this thread suggested that he should not be allowed to hold whatever views are most appropriate to him, and I recognize that - in his opinion - his views are reasonable and sensible.

Still with me? Good.

What the opinionated and entitled amongst us seem to forget is that there is a flip side to this, which is that I am equally entitled to hold whatever views are most appropriate to me, and they should recognize that - in my opinion - my views are reasonable and sensible. 

We've already had one arrogant clown accusing me of being an anti-vaxer - this from a silly billy I've never met, who knows the square root of bugger all about me - apparently for the heinous crimes of not holding the same opinions as him, and of not taking orders from other band members. Let's not go any further down that cess-pit, OK?

I think I love you Happy Jack!

• Haha 1

We are a 5 piece. Drummer, rhythm guitarist and self are both double jabbed, singer is a primary school teacher with 2 young kids so I think she has been jabbed but lead boy is a new guy, the drummers mate and apparently a anti vac guy but the subject hasn`t come up.

To be honest the only one who was a bit wary was the drummer as his wife works in a care home. I can understand some people feeling wary of getting back in a studio with others but I wouldn`t insist in taking a test before going in, if you are that worried, I wouldn`t bother. In my job, I have been in constant contact with people since I returned to work last July.

My rehearsal conundrum has been resolved for me. 

I was trying to be diplomatic and compromise etc, I totally understood that the drummer was cautious with his partner being pregnant and the number of cases locally. However, the singer threw a hissy fit and went off on one about he didn't care about restrictions and we should just get on with it. Oddly the drummer agreed it was all a load of made up nonsense and then they agreed to leave it until the winter after the drummer's partner had given birth.

I can't be bothered with people throwing hissy fits, so I'll just let them float off into the distance and I'll find something else. The irony is the singer has only ever done 2 gigs, and those were in the band I was in with him...I left suddenly because I had an offer from a better band. I felt bad at the time, I don't after today's toddler twaddle.

One of the benefits of fishing...you don't have to put up with other people's temper tantrums. 

• Like 1