Why become a member? ×

Modern metal bands using 5 string

SteveXFR

I've promised to find some modern metal music played on a 5 string for my daughter to learn but since most of the modern bands I like are just old blokes ripping off Sabbath or Bad Brains I haven't got a clue. There must be some!

She's annoyingly good with a 4 string so looking for some interesting stuff. Kind of goth, emo, maybe a bit progressive. 

The Contortionist are really good. Their last two albums, Language and Clairvoyant are worth investigating.

From the sunny UK, give Derange a spin too. I like them a lot.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 2

Polyphia, Sikth, Periphery, Bring me the horizon, Trashboat, Architects, Don Broco, Of mice and men, Monuments

They don’t all play five string but I guarantee all of them are playing drop tunings which will make use of that 5th string nicely. James Leech from Sikth and Tom Doyle from Don Broco do some really interesting stuff even if the music isn’t to your liking.

• Like 1

L.D. 50 by Mudvayne could be an interesting one to check. It’s Nu Metal so perhaps not the most interesting music, but the bass parts are really good and all played on 5 strings. If you find you like the bass player but not the band, his new project (Soften the Glare) is a prog/funk/fusion concept that could work well.

Otherwise Dream Theater? He plays 6 strings but you can play most things on a 5

• Like 1