Why become a member? ×

DI Question

Waterboarder

Hi, wondering if I can use the DI out of my head to go into a small cab to use as a monitor (via an EQ pedal) for our drummer? 

Amps won't be mic'ed up so can't take anything out of the desk for this gig, so thought this may work as an alternative, or will I run into impedance problems? Cheers 

23 minutes ago, Waterboarder said:

Something to amplify the signal then, could use a preamp pedal?

Nope. A cab needs several tens of watts at least for a drummer to hear anything.

Depending on what is coming from your DI you may even need another preamp to make a signal for ANOTHER AMPLIFIER that feeds your cab.

What head and cab(s) do you have, and does it have the option to add a second/third cab?  If so, you could use an additional cab and a long speaker cable (not DI) to get it where it needs to be.  But it won't have independent volume or EQ.

Or if that isn't going to work - you could get an active monitor speaker, into which you plug the XLR coming from your head's DI out.  Something like https://www.andertons.co.uk/rcf-art-710-a-mkiv-10-digital-active-speaker-700w-each-13000520
might work. There are loads of different size/price of active speakers: it depends on how loud the band and the drummer is (or specifically - how loud the monitor needs to be).  Another related question: does the drummer need something just to get by, even if it's a bit mid-rangey; or do they want it to sound rich and lush? And a final consideration: some active speakers have EQ built it, so you could find one like that if that's a feature you need.

Or you can use a separate, second bass combo.  In that case though, I wouldn't use the DI from your head; instead, a splitter like a Boss LS-2 to feed your bass signal into the two separate rigs.

6 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

What head and cab(s) do you have, and does it have the option to add a second/third cab?  If so, you could use an additional cab and a long speaker cable (not DI) to get it where it needs to be.  But it won't have independent volume or EQ.

Or if that isn't going to work - you could get an active monitor speaker, into which you plug the XLR coming from your head's DI out.  Something like https://www.andertons.co.uk/rcf-art-710-a-mkiv-10-digital-active-speaker-700w-each-13000520
might work. There are loads of different size/price of active speakers: it depends on how loud the band and the drummer is (or specifically - how loud the monitor needs to be).  Another related question: does the drummer need something just to get by, even if it's a bit mid-rangey; or do they want it to sound rich and lush? And a final consideration: some active speakers have EQ built it, so you could find one like that if that's a feature you need.

Or you can use a separate, second bass combo.  In that case though, I wouldn't use the DI from your head; instead, a splitter like a Boss LS-2 to feed your bass signal into the two separate rigs.

Cheers for that, so long as its an 8 ohm cab I'm borrowing, I will use my 1x12 as well as a monitor for the drummer. That makes most sense. 

18 minutes ago, Waterboarder said:

so long as its an 8 ohm cab I'm borrowing, I will use my 1x12 as well as a monitor for the drummer

Yes.  If your head has a minimum load of 4ohms, both cabs must be 8ohms.  If your head can run down to 2.7 or 2ohms, you have more options.