Why become a member? ×

Hello from a Seattle girl

Inara

41 minutes ago, Inara said:

Thanks! No, it's cooled off back down to normal now, thankfully. We hit 45 C on the hottest day at the end of June, when our average high temperature in June is 21 C. It was awful.

I know that heat - we had seven weeks of it in Florida before we could fly home - anyway what are you doing talking centigrade ? No one in the US actually knows that centigrade even exists 

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I know that heat - we had seven weeks of it in Florida before we could fly home - anyway what are you doing talking centigrade ? No one in the US actually knows that centigrade even exists 

I grew up in that kind of heat, but here in Seattle many houses and most apartments don't have air conditioning .. where I grew up, we just stayed inside with the AC running during the heat, but historically the Seattle area just hadn't needed it. That's all changed now, sadly.

As for centigrade, I try to think in both F and C, as I've worked with a lot of Europeans, and also think our clinging to Fahrenheit and resisting the metric system is just stupid. Also, I'm trying to be a courteous guest on this UK-based forum. 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Inara said:

As for centigrade, I try to think in both F and C, as I've worked with a lot of Europeans, and also think our clinging to Fahrenheit and resisting the metric system is just stupid. Also, I'm trying to be a courteous guest on this UK-based forum. 🙂

Appreciated - it’s weird that I’m the first generation taught both metric and imperial in school so I can think easily in both. It’s a bit like having bilingual parents 

I see no logical reason for sticking to Fahrenheit when you have decimal coinage - except that Elvis’ “burning love” wouldn’t scan if written in centigrade 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Inara said:

Beautiful! I can't quite make out the headstock logo - what is the maker and model? It's lovely!

Brawley Artemis 5, much too good for me. New Bass Day post from earlier in the year is here: 

1 hour ago, Inara said:

Thanks! No, it's cooled off back down to normal now, thankfully. We hit 45 C on the hottest day at the end of June, when our average high temperature in June is 21 C. It was awful.

That's horrendous.  The company HQ is in the SF Bay area, and they were all saying how hot it was. Glad it's cooled down.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Elvis’ “burning love” wouldn’t scan if written in centigrade 

I feel my temperature rising
Help me, I'm flaming
I must be forty-three or more
Burning, burning, burning
And nothing can cool me
I just might turn into smoke
Or burn the floor

The scan is easy,  it's the last rhyme that's harder!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

I feel my temperature rising
Help me, I'm flaming
I must be forty-three or more
Burning, burning, burning
And nothing can cool me
I just might turn into smoke
Or burn the floor

The scan is easy,  it's the last rhyme that's harder!

Surely “it must”?

Just now, Geek99 said:

Surely “it must”?

According to three Internet sources the original line is 

I must be a hundred and nine

I think because the line above is 

Help me I'm flaming

the lyricist chose to keep the focus on the singer, rather than back to the temperature. Or all the sources are equally wrong and just copied the same mistake.😉

• Like 1

In the seminal version in LILO and stitch, performed by wynona judd, it is “it must be 109” referring to temperature as it follows the line “I feel the temperature rising”. “ I must be 109” would make no sense at all 

1 minute ago, Geek99 said:

In the seminal version in LILO and stitch, performed by wynona judd, it is “it must be 109” referring to temperature as it follows the line “I feel the temperature rising”. “ I must be 109” would make no sense at all 

We could ask Jerry scheff, who was elvis’ bass player. If he’s still around, he was a member at one time 

On 23/07/2021 at 09:00, Inara said:

Lol, frets will still only consume maybe 5% of my attention 😉

Same here actually. If you happen to make your way to the upcoming Seattle GTG please introduce yourself to the old bald guy that is Passinwind...oh, wait!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I agree with you completely that "It must be 109" makes most sense, but I have three independent sources from The Internet which state "I must be 109". And when has The Internet ever been wrong???

Hmm … in best Shakespearean sonnet mode …

how many times has the internet been wrong 

let me count the times ..

really not got time to enumerate all the times I know about, let alone everyone else,

true source independence on most things on the internet is an illusion, on chords, tab and lyrics it is doubly so 

apologies to @Inarafor the thread derailment 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Hmm … in best Shakespearean sonnet mode …

how many times has the internet been wrong 

let me count the times ..

really not got time to enumerate all the times I know about, let alone everyone else,

true source independence on most things on the internet is an illusion, on chords, tab and lyrics it is doubly so 

apologies to @Inarafor the thread derailment 

No problem! 🙂

On 24/07/2021 at 12:48, Inara said:

I grew up in that kind of heat, but here in Seattle many houses and most apartments don't have air conditioning .. where I grew up, we just stayed inside with the AC running during the heat, but historically the Seattle area just hadn't needed it. That's all changed now, sadly.

Welcome, Inara.

I grew up in London and live in Oregon. I had to use Fahrenheit in conversations here and Celcius in conversations with Britons. Recently, however, I have simply used the expression "obscenely hot".

Courtesy is always welcome. Exaggerated courtesy for comic effect is particularly enjoyable in some corners of "Off Topic".

This is a terrific forum. I came here two years ago for a little wisdom and am still here. Still looking for that wisdom...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1