Why become a member? ×

Are you guys familiar with Mayones?

2020Jazz

After reading about them for years…and loving how they look, and hearing Wotjiek P smash one to bits at a clinic - I fancied one!

I played a patriot - may have just been that particular one, but the neck was a really odd profile and it felt really “dead” in my hand.

shame.

• Like 1

I had one of the early jazz bass models, which I did a lot of gigs with. It had had a slightly longer (34.5”?) scale that I thought was a great idea and gave it a really nice feel. It did come with a cheap bridge that I swapped out straight away, but a really well made bass that was great to play with a superb neck. The trouble was that somehow, I could never quite get it to sound how quite I wanted, despite changing pickups and installing an East preamp circuit, etc.

I ended up moving it on and eventually getting an Xotic jazz that played just as well but sounded far better. Still, the Mayones was a great bass if you liked that sound.

• Like 1

I think the "Fame" brand was something to do with the Mayones people. I used to see them a lot on Thomanns's site. I think they're from the same Polish factory. 

I was curious to give a Mayones bass a try - I've been listening to Aussie pop-proggers Voyager a lot lately, and their bass player Alex plays a Mayones Jabba and gets a fantastic tone out of it. So I got the chance to try out one of the Hadrian Feraud Jabbas last year. It was very nice, although, IMO,  no better than most other "super-Jazzes" I've played over the years. It was nice and light though.

• Like 1

I think "Fame" was a house brand of another German store, MusikStore maybe? Basses were indeed made by Mayones, but there were also amps etc. A few years before that, Mayones had another side brand, Flame (pretty much same logo as Fame), which was making Fender and MusicMan inspired instruments. Then, all their regular lines were marketed as both Mayones and Zak for years and years, for whatever reason. I've tried hundreds and also never clicked with most. My favourite was the early, more round-shaped be-5. Very Warwick inspired, but not a copy of any particular model. Until recently, you could pick up a second hand one in Poland for £300. 

mayones-2008-be5-exotic.jpg

Edited by such
  • Like 2

One of my all time favourite bass reviews was a Mayones - and not even an expensive offering either. Great basses, would have one immediately if I had the spare cash. 

• Like 1