Why become a member? ×

Site update 22/07/21 Bug Hunt

ped

3 minutes ago, prowla said:

Right... I've asked this multiple times, but it looks like it's falling on deaf ears.

The default font is grey, which makes it hard to read the text.

A black font is much easier to read against the white background.

There seems to be work being put into trying out different themes, but no imperative to fix the default one.

The purpose of the site for me is to come and communicate with other members, to read what they say and respond, to gain some insight & advice and enjoyment, and to occasionally acquire items via the classifieds.

All of those rely on the adequate presentation of the text in the respective posts; the site is the vehicle by which that information is presented.

For me the site is visually hard work and uncomfortable to use and I really can't get past that.

I've tried, but all I've done since the update is have an occasional look, respond to a message from another member, and check this thread for progress.

I've looked at the dark theme, but that would be inconsistent as I typically have several windows open and all of the others have a light background.

I've embedded picture(s) of other sites which demonstrate the difference and I've included links to web design style guides/rules to reinforce the fundamental principles.

I've tried posting a light-hearted meme to make the point.

I've tried changing my PC and browser settings, but nothing appears to fix it (and anyway, I don't want to disrupt the other sites I use).

Now, I appreciate the amount of work which goes into running and maintaining the site (I really do!) and I know I may be just one user here, so I am under no illusions on that front.

But this thread asked for bugs and to me this design/style issue is more basic and fundamental than some of the programming/logic items and is impacting the usability of the site for me.

I like this site and it's one of several which I have open automatically when I login to my PC to reflect my chosen areas of interest, but right now I've removed it from that list.

So please, if you're not going to fix it then let me know and I'll stop checking back, only to be frustrated again, and I'll step away and leave you alone.

I've actually spent the last hour making you a special theme all of your own, and made the text on the default light theme a bit darker. Sorry I haven't got round to it immediately, I stupidly put my family and job before your progressively less polite request. You're welcome!

• Like 3

On 29/07/2021 at 09:35, wateroftyne said:

Pagination is still a little murky (sorry if this is already in-hand).

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 09.34.43.png

That should look a little clearer now; trouble is for some daft reason it's tied to other random text colours which need to be on the darker side. It might be possible to adjust them separately if I dive in a bit deeper by bypassing the admin CP and going to the code, but I'm likely to break it.

3 minutes ago, ped said:

I've actually spent the last hour making you a special theme all of your own, and made the text on the default light theme a bit darker. Sorry I haven't got round to it immediately, I stupidly put my family and job before your progressively less polite request. You're welcome!

Apologies if my frustration came across as impolite...

...I'm now stepping away from the keyboard.

Added a slight background glow on the notifications (dark theme). This colour is tied to the background blur which you see when composing a PM on desktop. I thought orange looked nice as a glow on the notifications but it was a bit much behind the PM screen, so think this grey works OK.

867877148_Screenshot2021-07-30at11_23_07.png.e75d9e0a18906d7c5b4ce8a208fab926.png

3 hours ago, prowla said:

Right... I've asked this multiple times, but it looks like it's falling on deaf ears.

There seems to be work being put into trying out different themes, but no imperative to fix the default one.

The purpose of the site for me is to come and communicate with other members, to read what they say and respond, to gain some insight & advice and enjoyment, and to occasionally acquire items via the classifieds.

All of those rely on the adequate presentation of the text in the respective posts; the site is the vehicle by which that information is presented.

For me the site is visually hard work and uncomfortable to use and I really can't get past that.

I've tried, but all I've done since the update is have an occasional look, respond to a message from another member, and check this thread for progress.

I've looked at the dark theme, but that would be inconsistent as I typically have several windows open and all of the others have a light background.

I've embedded picture(s) of other sites which demonstrate the difference and I've included links to web design style guides/rules to reinforce the fundamental principles.

I've tried changing my PC and browser settings, but nothing appears to fix it (and anyway, I don't want to disrupt the other sites I use).

Now, I appreciate the amount of work which goes into running and maintaining the site (I really do!) and I know I may be just one user here, so I am under no illusions on that front.

But this thread asked for bugs and to me this design/style issue is more basic and fundamental than some of the programming/logic items and is impacting the usability of the site for me.

I like this site and it's one of several which I have open automatically when I login to my PC to reflect my chosen areas of interest, but right now I've removed it from that list.

So please, if you're not going to fix it then let me know and I'll stop checking back, only to be frustrated again, and I'll step away and leave you alone.

Has anyone else experienced the delicious irony of reading this post in the dark theme?

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, prowla said:

Whoooah.. wind your neck in, bonny lad.

3 hours ago, ped said:

That should look a little clearer now; trouble is for some daft reason it's tied to other random text colours which need to be on the darker side. It might be possible to adjust them separately if I dive in a bit deeper by bypassing the admin CP and going to the code, but I'm likely to break it.

Nice one - thanks, Ped.

Just wanted to say that the greys for navigating from one page to another are now nice and readable against both black and white backgrounds 👍

Screenshot_20210801-092735_Chrome.jpg.acceffa523a939ac4aadb87a5923c6bd.jpgScreenshot_20210801-092631_Chrome.jpg.2996ed44d2ee9bc0515ba244383cb983.jpg

Also I think the site logo is now bigger and brighter than it was a couple of days ago? Assuming that it's not that I'm going nuts, that's a nice little improvement too :)

Screenshot_20210801-093423_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ad4a145209497a5025c3ff51a5400843.jpg

Edited by Ricky Rioli

On 30/07/2021 at 14:41, wateroftyne said:

Whoooah.. wind your neck in, bonny lad.

I was trying to show that I’ve tried various options and got nowhere, so was looking to see if it was being looked at. 
I accept it may have come across a bit more (ahem) forceful than it should’ve done. 

1 minute ago, zbd1960 said:

Previously when entering a thread, it would take me to last one I'd read, whereas sometimes it is now taking me to the first post in the thread. I'm selecting 'unread content'.

Go to your account settings - content view behaviour and select the top option - save.

173C5E5A-D1BC-400B-8C7E-BDD330C9104F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

Previously when entering a thread, it would take me to last one I'd read, whereas sometimes it is now taking me to the first post in the thread. I'm selecting 'unread content'.

By default the little blob to the left of the thread title will take you to 'first unread' and clicking the title itself takes you to the start. 

3 hours ago, Velarian said:

I’ve seen this quite a few times when doing searches using the additional search options. 

Anti-flood protection. Mostly annoying when you made a typo and want to correct it quickly or want to try a new string, but bearable generally

1 hour ago, Machines said:

Anti-flood protection. Mostly annoying when you made a typo and want to correct it quickly or want to try a new string, but bearable generally

Yep. I get it every single time if I do a search and then click the 'all of the terms' button, or if I refine the search at all.

But I do type quite quickly

5 hours ago, Velarian said:

I’ve seen this quite a few times when doing searches using the additional search options. 

21685657-B72F-4E23-A421-EA795A41CF16.jpeg

This happens every time I use the search. It offers you options, then tells you to wait before resubmitting. It's to stop spam but it's a right PITA turning a straightforward search into a minute or two of frustration if you need to do several refinements.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

If you click the drop down lists too quick it will make you wait, I do it slowly and it works fine 

Exactly... because it has a longer anti-spam delay than most sites, I get caught out every time.

It would help if it defaulted to 'and' rather than 'or' which gives too many results. This is also usual default search behaviour.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It would help if it defaulted to 'and' rather than 'or' which gives too many results. This is also usual default search behaviour.

I'm not sure I can adjust the flood control, it may be at the server end, but you're right about the 'and/or' is I've just changed the default behaviour :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2