Why become a member? ×

Site update 22/07/21 Bug Hunt

ped

8 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Not a bug, but is it desirable / possible to add a 'top' button at the bottom of each page?

Not possible as standard, but when I'm done fiddling I'll be looking into extra add-ons (like the 'Bump' button) which could add features like that.

• Like 2

There's probably not a lot you can do about it, but I'd like to add my voice to those complaining about the excess vertical padding and general wasted space vertically.

I did think it was down to the fact that forums are tending towards being optimised for mobile devices despite the fact that overall they over a very 2nd rate user experience.

However I just had the misfortune to view Basschat on my mobile and the top of the page uses up so much vertical space that, before I started scrolling, I could only see the first topic in any forum (which is normally one of the pinned topics) and when I look at a new thread only the first line of the first post is visible, the rest in both cases being taken up with a lot of useless crap and poor design/layout - blocks with elements all ranged left followed by another block with all the elements ranged right when the two could easily be combined.

Even on a big 24" monitor only the first 5 topics in any forum are initially visible and most of them are pinned ones. 

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Afraid not - I know what you mean though, however I find the mobile interface so easy to use that flicking the page to cast an eye over everything feels so effortless that I’m not bothered by it.

I’m sure in time there will be the ability to customise that a little further but for the time being I recommend you block any elements using something like AdGuard instead (I just replied to a post in this forum about how to do that)

Oh and just to add - there’s a dedicated app in the pipeline. I’ve submitted the site for beta testing with Invision and I presume/hope that that will offer an even better mobile experience, including push notifications and so on. 

1 minute ago, ped said:

Afraid not - I know what you mean though, however I find the mobile interface so easy to use that flicking the page to cast an eye over everything feels so effortless that I’m not bothered by it.

I’m sure in time there will be the ability to customise that a little further but for the time being I recommend you block any elements using something like AdGuard instead (I just replied to a post in this forum about how to do that)

As I suspected. Thanks anyway.

As I've said before I rarely use my mobile for anything other than seeing who's sent me an email when I'm out and about. Things that are trivial to on this forum on a proper computer are either far to time consuming or just about impossible for me on a mobile (or tablet) so I rarely bother looking at Basschat on mobile devices. But I was gratified to see that all the spacing problems were just as bad on the mobile.

Unfortunately I can't block the elements as they are all important to the functionality of the site. It's just the way they've been arranged with a whole load of elements on the left and then another load of elements on the right but underneath rather than alongside.

2 minutes ago, Velarian said:

I’ve just noticed that the marketplace section now has thumbnails in the topic listing. I really like that. 🙂

Edit: now they’ve disappeared ☹️

And now they’re back! It’s like the Hokey Cokey 😂

Right... I've asked this multiple times, but it looks like it's falling on deaf ears.

The default font is grey, which makes it hard to read the text.

A black font is much easier to read against the white background.

There seems to be work being put into trying out different themes, but no imperative to fix the default one.

The purpose of the site for me is to come and communicate with other members, to read what they say and respond, to gain some insight & advice and enjoyment, and to occasionally acquire items via the classifieds.

All of those rely on the adequate presentation of the text in the respective posts; the site is the vehicle by which that information is presented.

For me the site is visually hard work and uncomfortable to use and I really can't get past that.

I've tried, but all I've done since the update is have an occasional look, respond to a message from another member, and check this thread for progress.

I've looked at the dark theme, but that would be inconsistent as I typically have several windows open and all of the others have a light background.

I've embedded picture(s) of other sites which demonstrate the difference and I've included links to web design style guides/rules to reinforce the fundamental principles.

I've tried posting a light-hearted meme to make the point.

I've tried changing my PC and browser settings, but nothing appears to fix it (and anyway, I don't want to disrupt the other sites I use).

Now, I appreciate the amount of work which goes into running and maintaining the site (I really do!) and I know I may be just one user here, so I am under no illusions on that front.

But this thread asked for bugs and to me this design/style issue is more basic and fundamental than some of the programming/logic items and is impacting the usability of the site for me.

I like this site and it's one of several which I have open automatically when I login to my PC to reflect my chosen areas of interest, but right now I've removed it from that list.

So please, if you're not going to fix it then let me know and I'll stop checking back, only to be frustrated again, and I'll step away and leave you alone.

• Confused 1