Why become a member? ×

Site update 22/07/21 Bug Hunt

ped

I use Firefox (with a sensible ad blocker that allows 'quality' ads through) and the whole site has remained as readable as normal througout, except the text got slightly bigger, so I could reduce the default magnification.

Also, Firefox remembers the magnification setting for each site I visit separately.

I suspect people with issues may be blocking some or all cookies.

21 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I think they're like badges for Scouts, given randomly merely for attendance and/or lighting fires with woggles. It will probably evolve, with BC members squabbling over who has the most [insert puerile reason for squabbling over things here...], until The Admins get tired of all the complaints and return everyone to simple, modest 'BC Member'. That's enough, isn't it..? No..? Oh dear... :(

xD :P

I must confess to a certain uneasiness about status rankings, badges (insert Blazing Saddles ref here) and other such community pats on the head.

Didn't we have a protracted debate one time about the wisdom of introducing reactions (Like, sad etc). Did we not murmur about division and ascendancy? I rather think we did.

Oh and this tiresome paragraph break double return thing has to go. Please may we return to the single 'enter' hit for a paragraph break? Pretty please with a big pink cherry on top?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

I must confess to a certain uneasiness about status rankings, badges (insert Blazing Saddles ref here) and other such community pats on the head.

Didn't we have a protracted debate one time about the wisdom of introducing reactions (Like, sad etc). Did we not murmur about division and ascendancy? I rather think we did.

Oh and this tiresome paragraph break double return thing has to go. Please may we return to the single 'enter' hit for a paragraph break? Pretty please with a big pink cherry on top?

How odd..! In this browser (Chrome, Windows 10...), 'Enter' provokes, now, a single line feed, whereby before, it was double. I preferred it to be double, using 'Shift + Enter' whenever I wanted a single line feed. Is it now double for you, @skankdelvar dear friend..? Can we swap, maybe..? :/

28 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

How odd..! In this browser (Chrome, Windows 10...), 'Enter' provokes, now, a single line feed, whereby before, it was double. I preferred it to be double, using 'Shift + Enter' whenever I wanted a single line feed. Is it now double for you, @skankdelvar dear friend..? Can we swap, maybe..? :/

Seems to be across the board.

But it wasn't a double line feed before, it was double-spacing. They have changed to a more compact layout which will use less screen space, but actually use more storage as people type in double returns for legibility.

Such small changes, and even our discussing of it, are the part of the waste of energy and resources that will kill our planet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm in the same posish as you, Douglas, whereby 'enter' provokes a single line feed. Like you i would prefer it to be double.

We are, as you might but probably wouldn't say, dans le meme bateau. It's not a deal breaker but it would be nice and might also clear up some of now un-paragraphed historic posts.

Either way, I'm grateful to @ped and his little helpers for the time and effort they expend on keeping this forum as jolly and as useful as a forum could be.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, prowla said:

Yes, black is much better than shades of grey.

My perception was that the BBC site font was slightly larger too.

Mine was too - but it isn't, they are both 14pt, it is just the colour

8 hours ago, ped said:

We don’t make the software so can only use what they provide unfortunately. I don’t think there’s an option to customise the font or the way it displays. 

There almost certainly is - just change the default theme to include black text

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The icons for EXPLORER and CONTRIBUTOR are the wrong way round – swapped round, the pattern of pairs would be completed, and the rainbow progression blue-green-yellow-red restored

Screenshot_20210725-094609_Chrome.jpg

I think it's important to keep such quirks, if the poor maintenance team have to play with such minutiae people will be debating things like whether or not the grade boundaries should be linear, exponential or at 'natural breaks' next.

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I think it's important to keep such quirks, if the poor maintenance team have to play with such minutiae people will be debating things like whether or not the grade boundaries should be linear, exponential or at 'natural breaks' next.

I really don't understand the point of people being criticised for noting what is clearly an inputting slip in a thread entitled "bug hunt". Like I said before, if the people requesting observations think mine is worth ignoring, they're perfectly capable of ignoring it, and they don't need you slapping my wrist for them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I really don't understand the point of people being criticised for noting what is clearly an inputting slip in a thread entitled "bug hunt". Like I said before, if the people requesting observations think mine is worth ignoring, they're perfectly capable of ignoring it, and they don't need you slapping my wrist for them.

Isn't it the exact purpose of this thread to report the bugs?

It seems that when quoting a post from a page that is not the last and, adding one’s own literary flourishes, pressing save doesn’t appear to work, often meaning the save button is pressed again and maybe even once more. The problem seems to be that after the initial save, you are not taken immediately to last post position where your post would have appeared pre update. Instead, posters are left in limbo wondering why their post hasn’t saved, when of course it has, just on the last page, possibly a number of times.

• Like 1

Hovering with the mouse over someone's name doesn't bring up the option to look at their profile, when the name is in olive green (Supporting Member). It works with mods, admins and names in black font.

In the case below, I don't get a popup if I hover over Woodinblack.

Ped.thumb.png.e2b87aba6a2c94a41085fd394e22e2e6.png

Same here. I don't get a popup if I hover over casapete, for instance.

Redbandit.thumb.png.fd416ae635ed39d36e2192965ab42d3b.png

Apologies if this has been already mentioned or more likely I'm just being a numpty but I'm having problems with the search function. If I search for say Fender Precision and click on content titles only, I used to get threads but for some reason I now just get a mix of topics and a list of peoples conversations.

Am I doing something wrong?

Screenshot_20210725-134538_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ee4eba1e49e6ece7257d7594a62f8e53.jpg

18 minutes ago, ped said:

You’ve searched ‘everything’ not just ‘topics’ so it’s showing status updates too 

I must admit I never got the status updates. But that obviously isn't anything to do with the update!

Edited by Woodinblack

I'm sorting out (by 'Hiding' an awful lot more 'Double Posts' than usual, in the Sections that I peruse. I suspect there are many others elsewhere. Just sayin'; it may all calm down once folks get used to things; meanwhile the Double (or more...) Posts abound.

9 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm sorting out (by 'Hiding' an awful lot more 'Double Posts' than usual, in the Sections that I peruse. I suspect there are many others elsewhere. Just sayin'; it may all calm down once folks get used to things; meanwhile the Double (or more...) Posts abound.

Might be the post quoting, but not on the last page thing I mentioned above.

7 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The icons for EXPLORER and CONTRIBUTOR are the wrong way round – swapped round, the pattern of pairs would be completed, and the rainbow progression blue-green-yellow-red restored

Screenshot_20210725-094609_Chrome.jpg

Well spotted, sorted!

• Thanks 1