Why become a member? ×

Site update 22/07/21 Bug Hunt

ped

12 minutes ago, ped said:

I think that refers to clicking the title, but clicking the blob should always take you to first unread

That’s ok if you don’t have fat fingers, I always seem to miss the blob. Ham hand/eye coordination on phones and tablets is not my strong suit, it’s amazing I can type at all. :D 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ped said:

There are some ads there which you must be blocking. I’m hoping to remove ads one day but can’t afford to unless more people subscribe

Your ad blocker should block the frame of the ads too, so you lose the space 

OK, so the ads are expanding at a different rate to the text.

10 minutes ago, prowla said:

OK, so the ads are expanding at a different rate to the text.

No, the text and the ads (or whatever is in the right hand side bar) are expanding at the same rate. However the design of the site is such that the overall width of the site is always 100% of the browser window width, and with the width of the right hand side bar being a set size for a given magnification and the left hand side being fluid, then the left hand section expands or contracts to fill the rest of the available width. 

So changing the overall magnification of the browser window content makes the text size bigger and the ads bigger. As the ads get bigger the line-length of the text gets shorter

18 hours ago, ped said:

Yeah that’s a weird one. We changed it and it works on everything else but apparently not Firefox. Anyone else of Firefox getting that?

I'm getting it on Safari (the browser, that is - I'm not an an African adventure at the moment).

Sorry if this has all been covered already. Just catching up..!

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

No, the text and the ads (or whatever is in the right hand side bar) are expanding at the same rate. However the design of the site is such that the overall width of the site is always 100% of the browser window width, and with the width of the right hand side bar being a set size for a given magnification and the left hand side being fluid, then the left hand section expands or contracts to fill the rest of the available width. 

So changing the overall magnification of the browser window content makes the text size bigger and the ads bigger. As the ads get bigger the line-length of the text gets shorter

OK the text box (or area) (width thereof) then...

But in the pictures I posted, the window width didn't change, so the right-hand (ads) bar was growing and the posts text area was getting narrower.

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Just in case you think I'm overstating the font readability issue; here's BC and BBC sites.

BC:

W8xxaUx.png

BBC:

b8JCeVn.png

-----

Anyway, this is the critical issue for me.

I can't be using the site if it's making my eyes hurt.

Pleeeeeeeeez fix it!

7 minutes ago, prowla said:

Anyway, this is the critical issue for me.

I can't be using the site if it's making my eyes hurt.

Pleeeeeeeeez fix it!

Yes, the difference is the font is dark grey here, and black on the BBC. Even though the size is the same.

This is what it looks like if you force it black which is a bit clearer

and now when I view this page, all text has gone black?

Edited by Woodinblack

2 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Ok, I had discovered some of that, but I would also like to access the Rank list in the screenshot in previous posts, if still accessible.

And thank you. :)

I've read elsewhere that clicking on someone's avatar, it shows at the bottom of their profile. I've tried this on both Safari and Chrome, but there's nothing there that I can see.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I'll be a bit direct and crude (rude for some) : Why is it so hard to adapt yourself to a new environment ?

It isn't, but if someone ask if there is anything about a thing you don't like, you are going to get answers about what people don't like.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Root Note Rumbler

Eighth Note Nobbler

Blues Scale Bumbler

Triplet Tripper

Shifty Shuffler

Music Shop Slapper

Fretless Finesse

Slinky Sevenths

Flat-Ninth Jazzer

Odd-time Progger

Heavenly Harmonics

Groovemeister

Cliff

Craig

John Paul 

Steve

Junior

Mark

Pino

John

Paul

Geddy

Jaco

Bernard

18 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I've read elsewhere that clicking on someone's avatar, it shows at the bottom of their profile. I've tried this on both Safari and Chrome, but there's nothing there that I can see.

This^^^ Firefox in my case. I had wondered whether the various add-ons one can install into Firefox might have something to do with it, but if it's happening with other browsers as well then maybe not.

Edited by leftybassman392
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I'll be a bit direct and crude (rude for some) : Why is it so hard to adapt yourself to a new environment ?

I know, that's the story of homo sapiens...

Because some changes can be adapted to, whereas others can be considered backwards steps.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Yes, the difference is the font is dark grey here, and black on the BBC. Even though the size is the same.

This is what it looks like if you force it black which is a bit clearer

and now when I view this page, all text has gone black?

Yes, black is much better than shades of grey.

My perception was that the BBC site font was slightly larger too.
A quick google on usability guidelines for websites gave this as a design basic (https://www.usability.gov/what-and-why/user-interface-design.html):

Use typography to create hierarchy and clarity. Carefully consider how you use typeface. Different sizes, fonts, and arrangement of the text to help increase scanability, legibility and readability.

I've seen elsewhere a guideline that users should be able to choose their font settings.

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

I know, that's the story of homo sapiens...

I'm all for improvements, but not all changes are improvements.

Since the thread is asking for bugs, there are (unsurprisingly) instances of them being reported.

Edited by prowla

1 minute ago, ped said:

We don’t make the software so can only use what they provide unfortunately. I don’t think there’s an option to customise the font or the way it displays. 

Maybe the customising is a "nice to have", but being able to read it is pretty essential.

After-all, it is the content which is the reason for having the site in the first place!