Why become a member? ×

Site update 22/07/21 Bug Hunt

ped

37 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Read content not disappearing once read and same thread appearing multiple times in stream.

D1140C84-65BC-4D3D-80B9-7AE97B0D2703.png

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

This seems to be fixed now or is iPad specific.

I'm getting the same issue (WIN 10, Firefox)

Search index is currently updating, and caching will mean that some things take a while to filter through on your system.

The feed issue should be OK now, also the 'new content' can be viewed through the 'fluid' home page setting, if you choose it

Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 17.13.26.png

A design/UI bug...

There is just too much whitespace & padding, so I am having to scroll much more on every page, which is very cumbersome.

eg. all of that space for 3 lines of text.

uAmcdfT.png

The font used to display the posts text is also too small.

It's almost like the content is an afterthought rather than the actual reason for people coming here.

Hopefully it's fixable...

(Browser is Firefox on Linux.)

Hi Ped amd the guys

Two things (apologies if they’re already mentioned);

1) If one clicks on a username one either gets taken to their profile page or, for some,  you get a “this content not found” message. I guess this could be the indexes refreshing but thought it worth mentioning.

2) I don’t know whether it’s the font (very “thin” and faint) or the sheer amount of white space but the site is painful to use on a mobile device. Is there any way of customising this per user or do I just have to learn to live with the headache?

cheers

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Hi,

I added a post to a build diaries thread with a picture using the BBcode from Imgur but the picture doesn't show. All the previous pictures in the thread posted the same way still display.

Cheers

Do you mean you have tried since update? It seems BBcode has been depreciated in this version. Do you have externally hosted pics pre update, do they show correctly?

16 minutes ago, ped said:

Do you mean you have tried since update? It seems BBcode has been depreciated in this version. Do you have externally hosted pics pre update, do they show correctly?

If BBcode has been depreciated, has it been replaced with something else? and if so where can get the "user manual"

21 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If BBcode has been depreciated, has it been replaced with something else? and if so where can get the "user manual"

You can still show external images, but you don't need to put the tags around it. As long as the link is direct (ends in .jpg) it'll work

For example 

https://i.ibb.co/dQVD6NF/IMG-5617.jpg

gives

IMG-5617.jpg

More details/update notes here https://invisioncommunity.com/release-notes/452-r94/

52 minutes ago, ped said:

Hi Ped,

Someone posted on my thread that I had the embedding banners [img] on the BBcode which is why it didn't work. I removed these and the picture posted correctly. Not sure why the code picked up the [img] from Imgur - not sure if a setting has changed on my PC or if it was something to do with the update and just a coincidence it happened at the same time!! I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Cheers again for everything!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ped said:

You can still show external images, but you don't need to put the tags around it. As long as the link is direct (ends in .jpg) it'll work

More details/update notes here https://invisioncommunity.com/release-notes/452-r94/

Thanks.

However using BBcode it used to be possible to combine an image with link to another web page - i.e. I could make a banner for my signature that was hosted on an image hosting website, which when clicked would take you to my band's website. Without BBcode I can't see how this is possible anymore.

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks.

However using BBcode it used to be possible to combine an image with link to another web page - i.e. I could make a banner for my signature that was hosted on an image hosting website, which when clicked would take you to my band's website. Without BBcode I can't see how this is possible anymore.

That's why BB code is deprecated.

It allowed spammers etc. to hide URLs on images, so people would click an apparently innocent image expecting to see a larger version and instead find themselves following a hidden advertising link (or worse).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's why BB code is deprecated.

It allowed spammers etc. to hide URLs on images, so people would click an apparently innocent image expecting to see a larger version and instead find themselves following a hidden advertising link (or worse).

I suppose that's down to differing expectations.

I would never click an image expecting a larger version I would always expect that if it was clickable link that it was going to take me to a new page. I'd also use the ability to view the url of the link in the information bar at the bottom of the browser window before clicking anything.

To me this is a dumbing-down of the forums to protect the hard of thinking who aren't viewing them on a device capable of displaying all the information properly. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I would never click an image expecting a larger version I would always expect that if it was clickable link that it was going to take me to a new page. I'd also use the ability to view the url of the link in the information bar at the bottom of the browser window before clicking anything.

To me this is a dumbing-down of the forums to protect the hard of thinking who aren't viewing them on a device capable of displaying all the information properly. 

Over 50% use mobile devices to view

43 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks.

I'm not sure there was ever a huge demand for that...

9 minutes ago, ped said:

Over 50% use mobile devices to view

7 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm not sure there was ever a huge demand for that...

Based on those two statements Basschat should probably dump the ability to have signatures completely. After all if you can't do anything creative with them and over half the audience can't even see them, then what is the point?

Edited by BigRedX

Just now, BigRedX said:

Based on those two statements Basschat should probably dump the ability to have signatures completely. After all if you can't do anything creative with them and over half the audience can't even seen them, then what is the point?

I wouldn't miss 'em. They're a bit early 2000's.

27 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I would never click an image expecting a larger version I would always expect that if it was clickable link that it was going to take me to a new page.

Agreed, re differing expectations - I would always expect a larger version.

15 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I wouldn't miss 'em. They're a bit early 2000's.

I don't mind them but I hide all sigs that have a large image in them

• Like 1

Following on from the "Page numbers invisibilised" question, this appears to have been fixed within the individual topic pages/threads but I'm still seeing (or rather, not seeing) the page numbers in the topic listing pages (screenshot). (Win 10, Chrome).

2021-07-23_Screenshot-Basschat.thumb.png.aabaff829a79bca63cc6e7722d2f35c7.png