Why become a member? ×

NPD - Sansamp

Pow_22

Just placed an order on a used Sansamp VT Bass Deluxe that is winging its way to me from the nice folks at Bass Direct.  Now, im absolutely NOT a pedal guy.  My usual set up is P bass (or sometimes J), flatwounds, Ampeg SVT classic into an Ampeg 212AV.  Ive always loved the SVT sound and luckily I get to play the SVT at a decent volume in my band (not full on tube distortion but certainly a tiny bit hairy).  What im hoping to achieve with the Sansamp is getting the SVT driven sound with my rig but also using it on backline shared gigs to cop 'my' sound.  The plan is to get one preset set up for my P bass, nice grindy but deep tone and another for my J bass - little more growly but still maintaining good low end.  Will let you know how i get on oince it lands but in the meantime any hints, tips or input would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't played with the VT but you are right on track.

On TB the almost famous Jimmy Miller once did a A/B listening challenge with a VT and a RedDI which is the gold standard for a tube DI. Only 75% could pick the RedDI which is only vaguely better sucess than a 50% wild guess when you consider that the audience are 'expert' qualified bassists.

That’s a good idea, I did similar with their Para Driver, no matter what rig I was using FOH got the sound that was needed. Also meant as I was DI’d from that I could adjust eq/volume on whatever amp I was using for on stage sound without it interfering with the mix out front.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2021 at 08:34, Pow_22 said:

Just placed an order on a used Sansamp VT Bass Deluxe that is winging its way to me from the nice folks at Bass Direct.  Now, im absolutely NOT a pedal guy.  My usual set up is P bass (or sometimes J), flatwounds, Ampeg SVT classic into an Ampeg 212AV.  Ive always loved the SVT sound and luckily I get to play the SVT at a decent volume in my band (not full on tube distortion but certainly a tiny bit hairy).  What im hoping to achieve with the Sansamp is getting the SVT driven sound with my rig but also using it on backline shared gigs to cop 'my' sound.  The plan is to get one preset set up for my P bass, nice grindy but deep tone and another for my J bass - little more growly but still maintaining good low end.  Will let you know how i get on oince it lands but in the meantime any hints, tips or input would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds exactly what the VT Deluxe is great at. 

Something I've found useful is this post 10 years ago on talkbass by Tech 21:

tech21nyc

tech21nycCommercial User

Using distortion pedals in the effects loop is not a good idea. The loop comes after the SansAmp circuitry.

If you are using the VT Bass Deluxe in conjunction with another bass amp and wish to use distortion effects (or any effects for that matter) without going through the SansAmp circuitry there is a workaround.

Plug into the pedal as you would normally do. Next run a cable from the parallel out to the input of the effect you want to use in the loop without the SansAmp circuitry. Then connect a cable from the output of the effect to the FX return of the VT Bass Deluxe (or Bass Driver Deluxe.) Now when you engage the FX loop of the pedal, you will bypass the SansAmp circuitry and only be using the FX in the loop.
Edited by SumOne